Boot Failure and Sudden Poweroff issue.

OP
M

Munez

Broken In
I received PSU yesterday and started using it in the night. I will have to use it for few days and confirm.

I have one more question regarding crysteldisk info . One of the HDD(WD Blue 0.5TB) shows

Caution [C5] Current Pending Sector count : 18 Current: 200 Worst 200 Threshold 0 Raw Hex values 00000012
Caution [C6] Uncorrectable sector count : 12 Current: 200 Worst 200 Threshold 0 Raw Hex values 0000000C
Temperature : 37

I noticed that these counts are increasing. I remmeber last month when i checked it was not 18 and 12. it was less than that.
What these number really means ? What is the maximum value

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Current Value is calculated by the Vendor using a specific algorithm which generally they know the best. When the disk is brand new this value is at the top most possible and as the disk ages this value can decrease over time based on relevant factors for which the measurement is being taken.

Threshold is the last sustainable value, after which if exceeded (in actual terms on -ve side for certain parameters i.e. if the Current Value falls below the Threshold ) then the disk is considered as Failed or BAD. For parameters like Reallocated Sector Count, Current Pending Sector count the Disk goes BAD or Failed completely when the current normalized value falls below the threshold value. Some vendors Set this 0 so it may take long time for the disk to really go Bad! My Seagate has this set to 0 but Hitachi has this set to 36 a more realistic value than 0.

Raw values are the actual observed values as reported by the disk. The size of data for Raw values is 48 bits. 12 nibbles of 4 bits each. Generally the Hex values might be a bit confusing to interpret. You can choose 10 Dec 2 Bytes representation from Function-->Advanced Features-->Raw Values menu and refer the last value (rightmost) in Decimal for the Actual.

In your case there are 18 sectors pending to be remapped and 12 sectors that now can not be remapped. If those 18 sectors get successfully remapped then this count might go down and something may reflect under Reallocated Sector Count.

For some parameters like Temperature the Raw values may be split as Max/Min/Actual within 48 bits. This is clear when you set 10 Dec 2 bytes representation.
Your current temp is 37 deg C which is okay.

As you say the count (I guess current pending count) is increasing, I would not trust this disk anymore. Better take backup of your critical data elsewhere and do not use this disk as a primary disk.
It may work okay if the values remain stable for a long time but that only time can tell.

Is the disk under warranty? If yes try to invoke the warranty.

More on S.M.A.R.T. here on WiKi

Top Bottom