Need a rig for 3D multimedia work - budget 1 Lac

kasshav

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mostly for 3D multimedia work. Following softwares are what I primarily use:-
  • Autodesk 3DS Max
  • Autodesk Maya
  • ZBrush
  • Mudbox
  • Adobe AfterEffects
  • Adobe Lightroom
2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: INR. 1 Lac

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Not sure about this at the moment

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 or 10. Current rig runs Windows 7 so I'll be checking my software versions compatibility first.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: A 256GB SSD is desired for faster applications

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes. At least a 4K screen - 32" Maybe.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I already have speakers & woofer system. So that's something I'll be reusing. I also have a UPS but that's 300 Watt so not sure if that will be sufficient.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within next 15 days

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I'll assemble it myself

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Anywhere - Chandigarh locally or Online

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Just want to mention that both Intel and AMD based configurations are welcome. I don't have any preferences regarding proccy.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You want lot more than what your budget can buy. Either relax what you want or increase your budget to ~1.75L

By the way, what's the build you have right now?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
For such usage you need a powerful processor+32gb ram+high end mobo+good psu which alone will cost ~80k.This does not even include a gfx card if your applications can use it.

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
Mmm. In that case I can hold the plans for monitor right now. And add another 25K making a total of 1.25 Lac.

But I am in desparate need of a new rig. So even if I get some idea regarding pricing of the main core components - I'll be able to prioritize the secondary things.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
PROCESSOR AMD RYZEN 7 2700X (UPTO 3.7 GHZ / 4 MB CACHE)
ASUS PRIME X470-PRO Motherboard (Amd Socket AM4/Ryzen Series CPU/Max 64GB DDR4-3600MHz Memory)
G.SKILL F4-3000C16D-32GVRB Desktop Ram Ripjaws V Series 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4 3000MHz
POWER SUPPLY CORSAIR TX-M SERIES™ TX650M -650 WATT 80 PLUS® GOLD CERTIFIED
Buy Online SAMSUNG 860 EVO 2.5″ 250GB 3D NAND Internal SATA SSD MZ-76E250BW In India

You will need a basic graphics card too as 2700X doesn't have any integrated graphics.

Minion

Conversation Architect
AMD RYZEN 7 2700-24,000
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC-13,000
CORSAIR 16GB DDR4 CMK16GX4M1D3000C16 x 2-26,800
SAMSUNG 860 EVO 250GB-5,900
CORSAIR TX650M-6,500
ZOTAC GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X Mini-43,000
FRACTAL DESIGN MESHIFY C BLACK CASE FD-CA-MESH-C-BKO-TGL-7,800

Total 1.26 Lakh

Last edited:
OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
AMD RYZEN 7 2700-24,000
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC-13,000
CORSAIR 16GB DDR4 CMK16GX4M1D3000C16X2-26,800
SAMSUNG 860 EVO 250GB-5,900
CORSAIR TX650M-6,500
ZOTAC GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X Mini-43,000
FRACTAL DESIGN MESHIFY C BLACK CASE FD-CA-MESH-C-BKO-TGL-7,800

Total 1.26 Lakh

@Minion I like this configuration. Would it be good if I cut some budget from the Graphics Card - say going with 1070 or 1070Ti instead? How much difference would that make?

Minion

Conversation Architect
@Minion I like this configuration. Would it be good if I cut some budget from the Graphics Card - say going with 1070 or 1070Ti instead? How much difference would that make?

You are going to upgrade to 4k in future and 1080 is the only graphics card which is sufficient for that resolution and regarding going for 1070/1070ti price difference between 1070ti and 1080 is 2k so you will not be going to save huge amount by going with 1070ti

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The main usage is 3d multimedia works so how important a 1080/gfx card is with the mentioned softwares. I don't know but do take into account which will be more beneficial for you,extra gfx card power(in which case 1080 is justified) or extra cpu power(more clocks,threads & OC in future meaning better processor & mobo).

For this use case, insane amount of RAM and Insane CPU power is preferred. And to use all this, a good SSD. Make sure those things are primary. I recommend ignoring the 4k idea for now. And investing all you have in these basics. Get a better graphics card and a 4k display in a few years in the next upgrade cycle.
For now even a GTX 1060 is more than sufficient.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: nac
OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
@Minion If there is only 2k difference between 1070Ti & 1080 - then I guess going with 1080 is better. Thanks for the tip.

@nikhilsharma007nikx Yeah I am also ditching the idea of a 4k screen for now. Will go for that probably after a few months.

@whitestar_999 Yeah, main usage is 3D work so investing in a better Graphics Card will make me future-proof.

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^Like @nikhilsharma007nikx mentioned for 3D works GPU should take the back seat. You definitely need as much RAM as possible - the more the better. And a beefier CPU. So my suggestion - forget about GPU at this moment if budget is the constraint. Get a 1060 3GB. And invest all you have in minimum 32GB RAM and a strong I mean really strong CPU.

Also, even if you want a GPU, if you plan not to game at all. Invest later in a Quadro card. Those cards are very precise, GTX is not made for that kind of precise work. So yeah.

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
Based on above suggestions by @nikhilsharma007nikx & @ssb1551 - I have finalized the following config:-
  • Intel i7-8700K - ₹30000/-
  • Zotac 1060 3GB - ₹20000/-
  • GSkill 32GB DDR4 - ₹27000/-
  • ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming Motherboard - ₹18000/-
  • Corsair CP-9020098-UK VS Series VS650 650 Watt PSU - ₹4500/-
  • SAMSUNG 860 EVO 250GB - ₹6000/-
  • FRACTAL DESIGN MESHIFY C BLACK CASE FD-CA-MESH-C-BKO-TGL - 8000/-
Total - 1,13500/-

Let me know if I missed anything for my tower unit. I've decided to re-use my HDD & LCD for now alongwith the Speakers. And have considered investing in a better processor and RAM instead of GPU for 3D work.
Also let me know if 650W PSU would be enough for my use-case. And a nice UPS that can provide at least a descent backup for saving the work in case of power outage.

Last edited:
Based on above suggestions by @nikhilsharma007nikx & @ssb1551 - I have finalized the following config:-
  • Intel i7-8700K - ₹30000/-
  • Zotac 1060 3GB - ₹20000/-
  • GSkill 32GB DDR4 - ₹27000/-
  • ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming Motherboard - ₹18000/-
  • Corsair CP-9020098-UK VS Series VS650 650 Watt PSU - ₹4500/-
  • SAMSUNG 860 EVO 250GB - ₹6000/-
  • FRACTAL DESIGN MESHIFY C BLACK CASE FD-CA-MESH-C-BKO-TGL - 8000/-
Total - 1,13500/-

Let me know if I missed anything for my tower unit. I've decided to re-use my HDD & LCD for now alongwith the Speakers.
Also let me know if 650W PSU would be enough for my use-case. And a nice UPS that can provide at least a descent backup for saving the work in case of power outage.
I recommend going for an AMD Ryzen config. Those chips are better than Intel for the price. Also, try to fit in a 512gb SSD in there. Win 10 likes to use Superfetch, a program that replaces data from your RAM to your local storage after it has been used as a dump or a backup. SSD will really help you get on quick with everything.
Also, the PSU isn't very good quality. I recommend going for Seasonic s2 620w or Some 500 antec PSU, other members can suggest on those.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't compromise on quality of components in a 1lakh+ system. That mobo is fine for non-k processor or when not planning to OC but a poor choice if you plan to OC a 8700k.
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING Motherboard (Intel Socket 1151/8th Generation Core Series CPU/Max 64GB DDR4-4000MHz Memory)
Same is with psu,people spending lakhs on a system but buying a cheap psu is just like buying a Mercedes but using cheap local engine oil harmful for car in the long term.

Don't buy 3gb 1060 version,either buy 6gb 1060 or don't buy it at all.3gb vram is nothing when working with 4k.

@nikhilsharma007nikx seasonic models you are talking about are discontinued/going to be discontinued & seasonic has yet to launch their new/latest models in India. Antec psu models quality available in India have also gone down over the years so currently only psu options are from corsair(latest CXx50,TX,RMx).

Don't compromise on quality of components in a 1lakh+ system. That mobo is fine for non-k processor or when not planning to OC but a poor choice if you plan to OC a 8700k.
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING Motherboard (Intel Socket 1151/8th Generation Core Series CPU/Max 64GB DDR4-4000MHz Memory)
Same is with psu,people spending lakhs on a system but buying a cheap psu is just like buying a Mercedes but using cheap local engine oil harmful for car in the long term.
POWER SUPPLY CORSAIR TX-M SERIES TX650M -650 WATT 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFIED

Don't buy 3gb 1060 version,either buy 6gb 1060 or don't buy it at all.3gb vram is nothing when working with 4k.

@nikhilsharma007nikx seasonic models you are talking about are discontinued/going to be discontinued & seasonic has yet to launch their new/latest models in India. Antec psu models quality available in India have also gone down over the years so currently only psu options are from corsair(latest CXx50,TX,RMx).
Due to crazy Intel motherboard prices Ryzen makes more sense.
And yeah, I've been out of touch with PSUs lately.
Recommended gtx 1060 for 1080p for now. He can upgrade to a better card and a 4k monitor in the next few Years.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
3gb 1060 will run out of memory(not just for games but for 4k video editing work too I think,you don't need 4k monitor to do 4k editing).Ryzen does make more sense but don't mistake mobo prices,a good amd mobo that can successfully OC a 2700x will not cost less than 18-20k.All those 10-18k amd x470 mobos can't even handle a 2700x at stock at full 100% load for even few hours(checkout buildzoid videos of amd x470 mobos).

3gb 1060 will run out of memory(not just for games but for 4k video editing work too I think,you don't need 4k monitor to do 4k editing).Ryzen does make more sense but don't mistake mobo prices,a good amd mobo that can successfully OC a 2700x will not cost less than 18-20k.All those 10-18k amd x470 mobos can't even handle a 2700x at stock at full 100% load for even few hours(checkout buildzoid videos of amd x470 mobos).
Okay. That 6GB thing makes sense.
Even though amd motherboards cost a lot, I'm sure that the chips themselves are worth more than the Intel ones.
My friend does a little bit of video editing and streaming and gaming. His 1600x handles everything at a breeze.

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In

@whitestar_999 Thanks for the tip. I'll opt for the Corsair TX-M PSU. I know its importance because my current rig also has a Seasonic PSU which was quite ahead of its time. Now what I'm concerned about is that 4K work is now becoming the norm in the industry. So can I push GTX 1060 for 4K work - 1080 is way pricey compared to my budget. So I'll need to find some middle ground for now to get the work done. And Zotac Amp Edition GeForce GTX 1060 6GB DDR5 PCI-e Graphics Card with IceStorm Cooling costs just 7k more (27000/- as of now on Amazon) - that's something I can do invest in.

@nikhilsharma007nikx
Yeah pricing-wise AMD gives more value. In the case I might just go with the configuration that @Minion suggested for Ryzen 7 just the 1080 GPU is going out of my budget.

Top Bottom