Display works but gaming causes comp to freeze - graphics card prob?

vigneshnm

Broken In
Hi,

I have a 3 year old Sapphire R7 250 1GB card. Recently, my MSI 970A-G43 motherboard (no display port on it) conked off and it took over 2 months to get it repaired from the service center (story for another time).

However, my ill-luck seems to be far from over. Whenever I start CS:GO, after the initial screen, the computer freezes. The only way to get it working again is a restart. Similarly, Firefox was causing it to crash and so was VLC, after 10 off mins of watching a video.

I turned off hardware acceleration on Firefox and VLC and they seem stable, for now. But opening Google Maps again caused it to freeze (pic attached).

It seems like a graphics card problem. To confirm my hypothesis, I installed UNIGINE's Heaven benchmark. As soon as I started it, within a few seconds, the computer froze. I took it to my computer guy who put the card on another PC and it froze as well.

So my question is, am I right in thinking my graphics card is the problem? Can there be any other cause? I can't see any burst capacitors so do you reckon it can even be repaired?

Thanks,
Vignesh
20180816_202034.jpg

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
That is enough to know that the card is at fault. The only thing you could do is RMA it if the card is still in warranty.
Thanks, guess I have to buy a new one. It's over 3 years so I'm sure it's not under warranty. The prices are frightful though. I had gone for a Crossfire board as I wanted to buy the same card for pennies a few years later. Now it's more expensive than what I paid for it!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Even if the card is not under warranty, you should try to get it fixed. New cards costs a bomb now, and unless you can afford it, you really have no choice.

Edit: My RX 480 which is about to be 2 years now, also "sometimes" shows screen as posted in OP. But a reboot fixes it. Though since a few months I haven't seen it again. I wonder if I should be worried that it might go kaput again. So have you tried dusting the card with a blower or compressed air?

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Even if the card is not under warranty, you should try to get it fixed. New cards costs a bomb now, and unless you can afford it, you really have no choice.

Edit: My RX 480 which is about to be 2 years now, also "sometimes" shows screen as posted in OP. But a reboot fixes it. Though since a few months I haven't seen it again. I wonder if I should be worried that it might go kaput again. So have you tried dusting the card with a blower or compressed air?

Yeah, even a GT 1030 costs 7.5k these days.

I've cleaned it but don't have a blower for the type of cleaning you're suggesting. I'm planning to show it to a local chip repair guy tomorrow. I'll keep you posted if I have any luck in repairing it.

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
I got it repaired from a "chip level repair" shop who did "soldering". The game started but as soon as the map loaded and I entered a match, the computer froze. Heaven benchmark software also caused it to freeze.
The repair might have not worked but at least it's given me proof that the graphics card indeed is the problem. Whatever he did improved the performance slightly but not enough to make it usable.

So a new card.

I really don't want to spend a bomb now. I keep hoping that VR headsets would be officially launched in India at a reasonable price and I would need to significantly upgrade my PC then. So I'll think of a 1060/ RX 570 then.

A near-by shop has Gigabyte RX 550 2GB for 7.8k and 4GB for 10.8k. Considering I only play CSGO, I'm sure this is sufficient. I'd have liked to play PUBG but as per systemrequirementslab.com, my FX4350 won't support it. I have a FX 6300 so PUBG would work, just needs a 2GB card.

So could you please give me your suggestions? I don't want to create a new thread since my budget and requirements are so low.

Thanks,
Vignesh

Last edited:

chetansha

In the zone
Some sellers were offering 570 at 17k on other forums. I suggest you take a look at them.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Some sellers were offering 570 at 17k on other forums. I suggest you take a look at them.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
Since there aren't any official VR headsets on the market now, I don't want to spend on a 570 right away. Prices are bound to reduce in the future so I'll pick up a budget card now. My sweet spot would be 5-6k but since there's nothing at that range (gtx 710, no thank you!) I'm okay with increasing it a little .

Thanks,
Vignesh

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
I have a corsair 450W. Hmm never bought a used component before but it's worth considering. Where do I look for them? Olx/ quikr?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

quicky008

Technomancer
Yes, try to get something that has atleast some warranty remaining. And is your psu corsair vs 450 by any chance?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
It's a VX 450.

Sure, will try to get something with warranty. But it would be a little difficult I guess considering it was released over 3 years back. And the Indian middle-class distrust for second hand means I'll probably buy a new one

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Thanks for all your help guys. I bought a 1030, got it for 6.8k. I'll probably upgrade next year, for now, CSGO works and I'm happy :)

quicky008

Technomancer
Oh i too had that very psu but sold it off in 2017 in order to upgrade.

Its still possible to find 750ti s with warranty as people who bought it recently tend to sell them off when they want to upgrade, in fact i spotted a few of them while browsing through my local olx ads last week.

If you want to buy new then do keep us posted about which gpu you finally decide to go for.

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks for all your help guys. I bought a 1030, got it for 6.8k. I'll probably upgrade next year, for now, CSGO works and I'm happy :)

Oh please post some photos of its unboxing if possible and its performance metrics in various AAA games

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Oh please post some photos of its unboxing if possible and its performance metrics in various AAA games

Oh sorry, I've already installed it. I'll definitely post some benchmarks over the coming days.

Top Bottom