Received a possibly fake corsair memory from ebay

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
i've already started a claim on ebay,however they are yet to response to my allegations of having been sold a counterfeit ram.Lets see how this goes...i hope those nitwits wont reject my claim.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
today i got a msg from ebay where they had asked me to send the item back to the seller via courier within 3 days.Strangely however the location to which ebay has directed me to ship the item back to is in Delhi,whereas when i had originally contacted the seller he had asked me to send it to his place which is Rudrapur in uttarakhand.

Is it possible that ebay might have given me the wrong address by mistake?I still have the packaging in which the ram was shipped and it appears to have been sent from rudrapur only,not Delhi.

So if the address that ebay has given me is not correct and i end up sending it there then the ram may get delivered to the wrong person or worse,even get lost.

What should i do now?Should i send it only after contacting ebay and verifying whether they have provided the correct address or not?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
It's better to get it clarified and sorted out directly from ebay. With ref of your return request number call them and get it cleared as to why the return address is now different.

There's an option to Contact Us and select your topic and choose Call Us or Call Me and get the contact number displayed thereafter for you to call. They might even assign a temporary tracking number for the call request.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the sellers shop is in Delhi ( or as registered on ebay's file ) and his warehouse is in Rudrapur. So yeah, get things sorted by contacting ebay and seller both ( give ebay the screenshot of sellers message where he told you to send ram before for a refund ).

Nerevarine

Incarnate
By the way quicky, i dug up an old picture i took of a transcend fake ram, just posting it here for everyone's nawlidge.
*www.dropbox.com/s/pb3xro2glgxbw0s/IMG_20150103_144402.jpg?dl=1

Nerevarine

Incarnate
The cover is literally a piece of paper printed using a low quality inkjet. 100 % fake. I already owned a genuine transcend so was easier to compare.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks for sharing these images-they will prove to be handy for anyone who's thinking of buying a transcend memory module and wants to determine its authenticity after purchase.

However as far as my situation is concerned things unfortunately are not looking too well-its been almost two days since i messaged ebay to seek clarification about which is the right address but they still haven't replied to it,i am supposed to return the item to the seller by tomorrow ie 21st july and upload the proof of return shipment to ebay-but how can i do that as long as i dont know the proper shipping address?!

I contacted them by phone the day before yesterday and a woman who answered my call said that i need not return the item right now,she advised me to wait till 21st july and said that someone from their claims team will contact me by then and let me know what needs to be done.But i wonder how reliable that representative really was and whether what she said to me was at all true or not.

What will i do if don't hear from ebay by tomorrow and therefore fail to return the product? Will they close the case and dismiss my claim?

I did however contact the buyer in the meantime and he too has confirmed that ebay has given me the wrong address-it has nothing to do with him at all.Its just like someone pointed out earlier-their customer service is truly messed up!

moral of the story: think twice(or maybe even thrice or more)before you buy something from ebay!

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
What will i do if don't hear from ebay by tomorrow and therefore fail to return the product? Will they close the case and dismiss my claim?

Yes most likely that is what will happen, always assume the worst when it comes to ebay.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
A rep from ebay did call me on saturday ie 21st july and admitted that they had in fact mistakenly given me the wrong address-he said that the address that the seller had provided earlier was the correct one and asked me to send the item there and upload its proof within 24th july.

I dispatched it via dtdc on saturday itself-its supposed to take around 5 days to reach its destination.Now i've got to wait and see what happens....lets hope there are no more nasty surprises awaiting me this time around.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
There have been some rather untoward developments in this matter-today a person from ebay called me and said that they wont be able to take further actions in this case and may reject my claim as the courier receipt that i had uploaded as the proof of return shipment is "invalid".

According to ebay,the receipt must contain the full address of the addressee,specific product name,the weight of the consignment and the company's stamp.They have asked me to provide an updated receipt which will include all of the aforesaid details by tomorrow,otherwise they will close the case in seller's favour due to "lack of information".

I was really surprised by this as all the details that they claim are missing are present in the receipt-the address of the recipient has been mentioned clearly but due to lack of space ,the courier guy had written it in brief by mentioning only the recipient's name,the name of his city and its pin code- afaik this is the standard practice that is followed everywhere and i cant see why it is unacceptable to them.I had returned sundry items to ebay sellers on many previous occasions via dtdc and they'd given me their receipts in the same format,but i never faced such issues earlier.

They didn't mention the item's name in the receipt but described it as "computer parts " and its weight has been described as "M" to indicate that the item was of minimum weight.Their standard stamp is also present in the document.

I immediately contacted my local dtdc office and asked whether they can provide me with an updated receipt with the necessary details,but they said it was not possible as once the receipt is prepared it cannot be altered or changed.However they said they can provide me with the declaration form that i had to fill up while sending the item-it contained the full address of the seller as well as the actual name of the item that was being sent.

This a really troublesome situation and i dont understand what i am gonna do-if i fail to provide them with the duly updated receipt they are surely gonna reject my claim,despite the fact that the item has been sent back and already been delivered to the seller today(acc. to the tracking details given on dtdc's website).So if they reject my claim now i will end up losing not just my money but the item as well as its no longer with me.

This is tantamount to cheating and i think ebay is deliberately driving me into a stalemate to avoid giving my money back,even though there is enough proof that the item has been sent back to the seller within the given time-frame.Is there any possible way to convince them to return my money,or am i simply done for?!

Please advice(and accept my apologies for the long post).

billubakra

Conversation Architect
There have been some rather untoward developments in this matter-today a person from ebay called me and said that they wont be able to take further actions in this case and may reject my claim as the courier receipt that i had uploaded as the proof of return shipment is "invalid".

According to ebay,the receipt must contain the full address of the addressee,specific product name,the weight of the consignment and the company's stamp.They have asked me to provide an updated receipt which will include all of the aforesaid details by tomorrow,otherwise they will close the case in seller's favour due to "lack of information".

I was really surprised by this as all the details that they claim are missing are present in the receipt-the address of the recipient has been mentioned clearly but due to lack of space ,the courier guy had written it in brief by mentioning only the recipient's name,the name of his city and its pin code- afaik this is the standard practice that is followed everywhere and i cant see why it is unacceptable to them.I had returned sundry items to ebay sellers on many previous occasions via dtdc and they'd given me their receipts in the same format,but i never faced such issues earlier.

They didn't mention the item's name in the receipt but described it as "computer parts " and its weight has been described as "M" to indicate that the item was of minimum weight.Their standard stamp is also present in the document.

I immediately contacted my local dtdc office and asked whether they can provide me with an updated receipt with the necessary details,but they said it was not possible as once the receipt is prepared it cannot be altered or changed.However they said they can provide me with the declaration form that i had to fill up while sending the item-it contained the full address of the seller as well as the actual name of the item that was being sent.

This a really troublesome situation and i dont understand what i am gonna do-if i fail to provide them with the duly updated receipt they are surely gonna reject my claim,despite the fact that the item has been sent back and already been delivered to the seller today(acc. to the tracking details given on dtdc's website).So if they reject my claim now i will end up losing not just my money but the item as well as its no longer with me.

This is tantamount to cheating and i think ebay is deliberately driving me into a stalemate to avoid giving my money back,even though there is enough proof that the item has been sent back to the seller within the given time-frame.Is there any possible way to convince them to return my money,or am i simply done for?!

Please advice(and accept my apologies for the long post).
Ebay is going down the drain on 14th August. Shoot a mail to the management of Flipkart, they own ebay India and are switching it off next month. Post on fk and ebay's social media pages.
Raise a complaint to the consumer department at pgpportal.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
It seems ebay is trying to totally escape refund claim. That's surprising. I had an instance where I received a wrong product and my claim was well settled by ebay without any issues.

I suggest now you also contact the seller and get a written proof (may be an email) that he indeed has received the item as expected (also show him the website tracking info from courier) and submit that proof to ebay as well along with a declaration from the courier.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
^Thanks for the inputs-it seems the only way to get my money back now(if at all)is to get a confirmation from the seller that he has indeed received the item-if he acknowledges that then i hope ebay will not reject my claim on the account of a mere technicality.

But what if the seller himself is also fraudulent and claims that he didn't receive the item?In that case will i have to obtain some kind of documentation from the courier company to establish that they have really delivered it to him?

Yes,it seems they are trying to avoid giving my money back by resorting to such deceitful trickery-1st they give me a wrong address for returning the item,then after the item has already been sent back they are claiming that the courier receipt is not in proper format and thus they will reject my claim! What does the courier's receipt matter anyway as long as it can be established that the seller has received the item?!

Last edited:

billubakra

Conversation Architect
They are avoiding your complaint as they are winding up and need to close all cases before tat.
To be on the safe side, send an email. Please don't rely on the seller. He might be a good person, but you never know. Also record all telephonic conversations made with the seller.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
^send an email to whom?usually i communicate with ebay through their messages option.Will ebay really cease to exist after 14th august?

Do you have the email ids of the higher officials of ebay ?

billubakra

Conversation Architect
@quicky008

^send an email to whom?usually i communicate with ebay through their messages option.

kalyan@flipkart.com Google other mail ids of the management members.

Will ebay really cease to exist after 14th august?
Yes.

Do you have the email ids of the higher officials of ebay?
No. But keep fk's management in loop. Also post on their social media websites.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
You should keep perusing this continuously with ebay and seller.
Also if seller refuses to respond show him the proof of delivery.

Get proof of delivery from the courier company. They usually have it, they just don't give it to sender unlike register AD of postal mail. Show the proof of delivery in addition to the declaration from courier to ebay as well.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
You should keep perusing this continuously with ebay and seller.
Also if seller refuses to respond show him the proof of delivery.

Get proof of delivery from the courier company. They usually have it, they just don't give it to sender unlike register AD of postal mail. Show the proof of delivery in addition to the declaration from courier to ebay as well.

OP can get POD no issues, but what if ebay or the seller says that didn't receive the item in the box. I am sorry, I am not being negative but both ebay and the seller looks suspicious here.
OP send the mail brother.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I understand your point. It's true that both ebay and seller look suspicious.

However in principle it's the responsibility of the receiver to immediately inform the sender if the box is empty. Since they have silently accepted the parcel, this argument should not stand valid now and it would expose how cheap the seller or ebay can ever be if they take up such an argument now a few days after receipt of the item.

Sending mails to mgmt & concerned and recording it certainly is necessary as well but additionally OP should keep perusing this continuously with seller & ebay so that OP has better control over the whole issue. That includes everything from sending emails, phone recordings, and constant follow-ups, collecting all possible evidences and proving your point.

OP should call ebay and ask that he want's to talk to higher authorities and explain the matter to them as well in addition to the immediate representative who attend the call or come on messaging services.

Last edited:
Top Bottom