Gaming smartphones discussion thread

Nerevarine

Incarnate
of course.Increasing the Gpu Performance by 60% would mean a lot to honor phones.
So how do you think Huawei would do this feat :lol:

Okay listen. Im going to explain this to you in layman's terms.
Every GPU in the world, be it smartphone GPU, integrated PC GPU, discrete PC GPU, has two major components from which you can increase performance.
Memory and Clock speed.
You cannot increase memory magically. iGPUs typically share memory with system, you CAN allocate more memory to iGPU but thats about it. There is no way you can increase total memory during "Turbo Mode"
Secondly, Clockspeed increases the total amount of instructions the GPU can run, which means more clock speed = more performance. However, that too has several limitations.
More clock speed = more heat, more battery consumption.
Now GPU manufacturers have a set limit on clock speed when they manufacture GPU. Huawei can attempt to make the GPU run at highest clockspeed in this turbo mode but this is absolutely nothing new.
Android itself has this functionality from long back.
Now, Huawei can also attempt to overclock the GPU in turbo but if they do that, and temperature and battery consumption are within acceptable limits, then why not have this higher over clocked speed as default highest limit ?
The answer is marketting my friend, using terms like "Super 69 Turbo boost technologiiii" to entice customers.
Lastly, overclocking always, always yields performance in terms of percentage. If the GPU was strong before OCing, then its gonna yield a better result after OCing. I cant say how much better Mali G72 MP12 is compared to Adreno 630 (if at all) but I wouldnt expect a significant difference after OCing.

PS: even overclocking in android is nothing new. age old Xperia Neo V with with adreno 205 could be oced after a custom rom

Last edited:

TechGeek1

Broken In
So how do you think Huawei would do this feat :lol:

Okay listen. Im going to explain this to you in layman's terms.
Every GPU in the world, be it smartphone GPU, integrated PC GPU, discrete PC GPU, has two major components from which you can increase performance.
Memory and Clock speed.
You cannot increase memory magically. iGPUs typically share memory with system, you CAN allocate more memory to iGPU but thats about it. There is no way you can increase total memory during "Turbo Mode"
Secondly, Clockspeed increases the total amount of instructions the GPU can run, which means more clock speed = more performance. However, that too has several limitations.
More clock speed = more heat, more battery consumption.
Now GPU manufacturers have a set limit on clock speed when they manufacture GPU. Huawei can attempt to make the GPU run at highest clockspeed in this turbo mode but this is absolutely nothing new.
Android itself has this functionality from long back.
Now, Huawei can also attempt to overclock the GPU in turbo but if they do that, and temperature and battery consumption are within acceptable limits, then why not have this higher over clocked speed as default highest limit ?
The answer is marketting my friend, using terms like "Super 69 Turbo boost technologiiii" to entice customers.
Lastly, overclocking always, always yields performance in terms of percentage. If the GPU was strong before OCing, then its gonna yield a better result after OCing. I cant say how much better Mali G72 MP12 is compared to Adreno 630 (if at all) but I wouldnt expect a significant difference after OCing.

PS: even overclocking in android is nothing new. age old Xperia Neo V with with adreno 205 could be oced after a custom rom
Thanks dude that makes sense:boink:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Yes mineral oil cooling is very good
Oil obtained from more organic sources like say, snakes, have higher thermal dissipation capacity. Might work better

Top Bottom