PC Upgrade_2011 >> 2018

bloodlife

.::Lost in the EchO::.
Hello TDF,

I need some suggestion for upgrade. Current build is 7 year old (2011), only psu replaced so far.
Intel i5-2500k
ASUS P8Z68-v LE
GSkill RipJawsX 4x2GB 1600MHz
Zotac GTX 560 1GB (non Ti)
Corsair CX500v2 - Busted due to voltage fluctuations, recently replaced with Corsair CX 650m

Planning to buy new monitor - shortlisted, pls suggest if any other
1. LG 22MP68VQ 22" Full HD Ips Slim LCD Monitor (55cm/22)
2. LG 24MP59G 24-inch Ips Screen Gaming Monitor (Black)

I can set aside a budget of 30k, want to replace the cpu and board first then look into graphic card.

Thanks,
Rahul.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
What's with most of the people feeling the need to upgrade only after 7 years? I too upgraded after 7 years from my Pen 4 to Core i5 machine. This correlation is "interesting". :lol:

OP
bloodlife

bloodlife

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Leisure Gaming (last played FarCry 4, The Crew, AC Unity), As i work 9-10hrs/day i don't find time to sit with PC, mostly on weekends but that too occasional. So Gaming would be primary purpose, I should be able to play the latest releases without any issue. I was into video editing earlier (Adobe Aftereffects, Blender stuff) but not now.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Max 30k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 + VM's for Ubuntu/Fedora

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: HDD not required, current setup has 1.5TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, as i mentioned in my first post. shortlisted to get
LG 24 inch (60.96 cm) Gaming LED Monitor - 24MP59G (Black) @ 10,999 (Amazon Prime day deal) - link

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: No need of HDD, Reusing (DVD writer, Gskill 8GB RAM if its compatible with new setup) Corsair CX650m and GTX 560 if it can be SLI'd (not sure if it would work), cabinet CM Elite 311 - If new hardware doesn't fit in this, it will be replaced.
Logitech G213 brought a year ago, Razer DA (both have issues logitech is still covered under warranty the keyboard will be replaced, Razer has double click issue it was already replaced once again same issue)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: by end of September or mid-October.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have built, but i know a assembler he will do it.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. Locally or online. if you have any suggestions on local purchase please share the shop name and location.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: This would be upgrade of current system as i mentioned in my earlier post. The budget 30k excludes monitor.

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You will need to shell out more to get latest GPU. For now you can reuse your GTX 560.

And start a new thread/bump this thread 10-15 days before buying. 3 months down the line, you will likely be suggested a totally different config.

OP
bloodlife

bloodlife

You will need to shell out more to get latest GPU. For now you can reuse your GTX 560.

And start a new thread/bump this thread 10-15 days before buying. 3 months down the line, you will likely be suggested a totally different config.

Yea for GPU, i'll plan later 2-3 months maybe. Need to save some more money for that. :D
If i can get a good cpu and motherboard finalized within current budget i'll buy it ASAP won't wait.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Ryzen 2600
Gigabyte AB350M D3H (or you can wait for B450 which is few weeks away from launching)
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8GB 3000mhz

Minion

Conversation Architect
Intel® Core™ i5-8400 Desktop Processor-13,000
Asus ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING-14,000
Adata 8GB DDR4 RGB AX4U300038G16-SRS-7,300

Sell your old components like mobo ,RAM and CPU DDR3 RAM are not compatible with system I would suggest you

Monitor
LG 24MP88HV

Last edited:

billubakra

Conversation Architect
What's with most of the people feeling the need to upgrade only after 7 years? I too upgraded after 7 years from my Pen 4 to Core i5 machine. This correlation is "interesting". :lol:
I upgraded after 10 years ha ha

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you ask me, if your budget is only 30K, I don't think it's wise to upgrade in your case.

I mean, you got i5-2500K and an Asus P8Z68 motherboard in 2011. This itself would have cost you 25K back then. And 25K meant a lot more back then than it does now in 2018.

What I am trying to say is, i5-2500K lasted you 7 years because it was a terrific CPU, worth every rupee you spent. It must have cost you something like 12K if I am not wrong. Right now if you want to buy this generation's alternative to i5-2500K, it is Ryzen 5 2400G or i3-8350K.....and they also cost around 13K. And I don't consider them much of an upgrade over i5-2500K as far as CPU performance is concerned.

My suggestion is that you need to increase your budget and buy something like Ryzen 7 2700X or Ryzen 5 2600X or Intel i7-8700K to actually feel the upgrade. Because this is the upgrade that would last you 7 more years, like your i5-2500K did.

OP
bloodlife

bloodlife

If you ask me, if your budget is only 30K, I don't think it's wise to upgrade in your case.

I mean, you got i5-2500K and an Asus P8Z68 motherboard in 2011. This itself would have cost you 25K back then. And 25K meant a lot more back then than it does now in 2018.

What I am trying to say is, i5-2500K lasted you 7 years because it was a terrific CPU, worth every rupee you spent. It must have cost you something like 12K if I am not wrong. Right now if you want to buy this generation's alternative to i5-2500K, it is Ryzen 5 2400G or i3-8350K.....and they also cost around 13K. And I don't consider them much of an upgrade over i5-2500K as far as CPU performance is concerned.

My suggestion is that you need to increase your budget and buy something like Ryzen 7 2700X or Ryzen 5 2600X or Intel i7-8700K to actually feel the upgrade. Because this is the upgrade that would last you 7 more years, like your i5-2500K did.

Thanks ico.

the thought of upgrade stuck me, when i saw minimum requirement to play Witcher :/
and you're right back in 2011, the config exceeded my budget. It was worth it i say :D

Final Build...
Intel i5-2500k @13100
ASUS P8Z68-V LE @ 11250
Gskill RipJaw 4GBx1 DDR3 1600Mhz @ 1900
Corsair CX500v2 @3200
CM 311 cabinet @ 2500
Zotac GTX 560(non Ti) 1GB GDDR5 @ 10800
Total-42750+5%(vat :'()
Net-44500
I got 500 GB HDD & 24x LG DVD writer from the old system

Link of old build thread

If i have to increase my budget, i'll have to wait for few more months. I think i'll wait.
And what would be ideal replacement for GTX560 ?

Minion

Conversation Architect
Thanks ico.

the thought of upgrade stuck me, when i saw minimum requirement to play Witcher :/
and you're right back in 2011, the config exceeded my budget. It was worth it i say :D

If i have to increase my budget, i'll have to wait for few more months. I think i'll wait.
Get a 1060 GTX can play all games at ultra settings on 1080p

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks ico.

yeah, it's better you wait and increase your budget a bit. Because what you'd be getting right now in your budget is not much of an upgrade of i5-2500K.

Top Bottom