Lenovo Y520 100% disk utilization

guhanath

Journeyman
Hi,

I have Lenovo Legion Y520 with below config which I purchased in Jan 2018

i5 8300H

8 GB Ram

128 GB SSD[C Drive, Windows] - update installed till 11th July

1 TB HDD [ D Drive ] - Have lot of data in it[ I have kept few programs installed in this drive rather than C Drive to save some space]

nVidia GTX 1050Ti

Office 365 subscription

Mcafee (full scan ran and no threats detected)

After the recent windows updates(11th July) and driver updates(via drive Booster software), I see some weird behavior in my laptop

1. After system starting and using for some time, the system just hangs/slows for a while(with only chrome/vivaldi running), couple of downloads in the background and windows explorer opened for file operations.

2. I noticed that disk read write % is starting from 50% and then reaching 80 to 100%. ( it never comes down without restarting)

upload_2018-7-15_10-42-33.png

upload_2018-7-15_10-42-46.png

3.I installed HD Sentinel and monitored the HDD and noticed that SSD drive health is 95% and D drive is 100%(img below). Is there a sign of failure in C drive?

upload_2018-7-15_10-43-6.png

4. All other vitals looks ok(img below) Except temperature in C drive which had max of 53 deg.

upload_2018-7-15_10-43-23.png

5. I opened resource monitor to look for vital process/id which is utilizing the disk (read/write operation) but I could not finalize the process. All programs switch sequentially and use page file.sys of Windows partition.

The memory usage of Java(to commit changes) also too high. The other being System process to Pagefile and Log file

upload_2018-7-15_10-43-55.png

6. Once this happens, even copy paste of documents/opening word doc is taking lengthy period(approx 800 MB file is estimating 30 mins to copy within d drive or from c drive to d drive). Once I restart the machine the copy paste functionality looks normal. Once I do copy -> paste, disk utilization is reaching 50% and active reaches 100%. In the below img, the copy speed was mere 1 Mb approx.(where as I have 90-100Mb till last week)

7. I searched web and I stopped BITS and windows search but they just restart by itself again but stopping them did not help either

8. I have some file indexing programs(everything and Excelo Desktop). I stopped them as well but the situation remains same.

9. Even after closing all apps, the disk utilization was 50% min and it is 100% active in the background.

Can someone guide me how to resolve this issue? It looks very annoying to see a medium powerful machine is behaving like this. Is this time for me to take back up from D Drive for safety?

Thanks

Guhan

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Before July update, was your system working smoothly?
try turning off cortana and superfetch service as well.
which antivirus application do you use?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
High pagefile activity indicates ram shortage & your task manager screen shot is also showing 74% memory usage which is enough to trigger pagefile write.Also it is your mechanical drive(D drive) which is showing 100% usage & not your ssd(C drive) in the screenshot. Something is searching a lot through your D drive data resulting in large memory usage. Use resource monitor disk activity tab to find out which process is doing most read/write/iops on D drive.

P.S. Don't put faith in those hdd health % readings.Always keep a backup of your important data.Since you have office 365 subscription(assuming non-trial) why not use free 1TB one drive space as remote online backup.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Hi, I have been inactive over here for a long time,
I own a Lenovo Y700. I suggest you to revert back to the original OS your laptop shipped with and disable windows updates and perform only necessary updates. Also have a Acronis TruImage backup copy of C drive as Windows Image Backup will fail to restore at the last moment, unreliable.
It may sound funny but updates, are causing lots of bugs ( imagine calculator stopped working, not in 1 but 2 PC's).
You will regret for updating.

btw where did you buy and cost?

edit: your system will run trouble free for years, just by not performing updates,
It even brings my i7 6700HQ to a crawl..so called performance updates..
I know I am going to be criticized for telling this that imp. security updates will be missed, throw in a reputable Antivirus like Malware-bytes Anti Malware, you are safe enough.

Last edited:
It some bug or virus. Happened with my old laptop, reset the OS (format C drive) & it should be solved.

I spent some time trying to figure it out but couldn't do so at that time.

OP
G

guhanath

Journeyman
Hi,

I have ran full scan and nothing detected in my system.

I have just disabled few startup items and disabled my excelo file indexer and testing the laptop. Let me update later this weekend

OP
G

guhanath

Journeyman
HI All,

I just isolated the process/thread by closing all opened windows and monitored resource monitor. I finalized on 2 things.
1. WD driver - which came with WD utilities. I installed because I faced some issues with my WD
2. Free Download mgr - it sucked even after closing apps.

I have removed wd utilities and disabled FDM from startup. Now after even >90% memory utilization(with 65% from chrome) no disk utilization issue. Let me monitor for few more days and update.

Thanks for everyone who given suggestions

OP
G

guhanath

Journeyman
Hi All,
I have monitored for few days and the laptop still lags after some time Have done below to narrow down
1. removed all unnessary startup apps and uninstalled few unused apps
2. Complete scan of the system -> only few trackers found and removed(McAfee LiveSafe)
3. Ran Malware bytes and removed PUP objects
4. Ran defrag and did defragmentation for whole disk
5. sfc /scannow and chkdsk are all good
6. Have removed unncessary chrome extensions.

The system hangs when I download the file in chrome or stand alone(even after chrome closed the disk utilization is 100 % active)
Have done r/w test using Atto disk tool and reference below. Is the HDD r/w speed a problem?
C Drive is SSD

D Drive is normal HDD

After closing all apps and background process, disk active % was 100% and for most of the time i see d:\pagefile.sys is having a huge response time

Let me know if there are any more suggestions.

Attachments

• RW_Test_C_Drive_SSD.jpg
    RW_Test_C_Drive_SSD.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 114
  • RW_Test_D_Drive.jpg
    RW_Test_D_Drive.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Resource_Monitor_Process.PNG
    Resource_Monitor_Process.PNG
    161.4 KB · Views: 111

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What was the ram usage,as I said earlier pagefile will be actively used once ram usage reaches ~75% usage.

Why are you keeping your page file on mechanical drive anyway,move it to ssd with so much free space available on it.

OP
G

guhanath

Journeyman
Sure. thanks for your reply. I will move some files out of D drive and set pagefile size with custom settings and let me check the behavior.
Today I received BSOD error and the information is attached. Let me know your thoughts

Attachments

• bsod_driver_power_state_failure.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 143

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't tell anything except that a power failure occur.You need to analyze the .dmp file.
3 Ways to Analyze Memory Dump (.dmp) File • Raymond.CC

Minion

Conversation Architect
Hi All,
I have monitored for few days and the laptop still lags after some time Have done below to narrow down
1. removed all unnessary startup apps and uninstalled few unused apps
2. Complete scan of the system -> only few trackers found and removed(McAfee LiveSafe)
3. Ran Malware bytes and removed PUP objects
4. Ran defrag and did defragmentation for whole disk
5. sfc /scannow and chkdsk are all good
6. Have removed unncessary chrome extensions.

The system hangs when I download the file in chrome or stand alone(even after chrome closed the disk utilization is 100 % active)
Have done r/w test using Atto disk tool and reference below. Is the HDD r/w speed a problem?
C Drive is SSD

D Drive is normal HDD

After closing all apps and background process, disk active % was 100% and for most of the time i see d:\pagefile.sys is having a huge response time

Let me know if there are any more suggestions.
I think you are infected with some malware

Scan with malwarebyte antimalware remove Mcafee antivirus use kaspersky free

Top Bottom