My Core i5, RX 480 PC rebooting when starting game, looks like PSU is culprit

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hi everyone
The ones who know me, already know that I was a Rocket League player for whole of 2016 and for most part of 2017 but I stopped playing it since this year completely. So I moved on to other games like racing games and GTA V.

After months of not being able to find time to play, when I tried playing GTA V again last week, I was not able to do so, since as soon as the game loads after a few seconds, PC gets rebooted. This was also for the case while playing Moto GP and Gravel demo. I tried playing Rocket league, and I was able to play it for 10 min without rebooting.

That made no sense, so I started debugging the issue. I tired not limited to, following things:
1. Disk check for errors
2. Updating AMD graphics drivers
3. Downgrading AMD graphics drivers
4. Disabling graphics card completely, during which PC didn't reboot, although game was playing at 15 fps.

At this point I thought maybe it's my GFX. But then why I was able to play Rocket League. So I thought maybe my PC reboots when I attempt to play "demanding games". So I tried:
5. Lowering graphics settings of the game Gravel demo, to low and reducing resolution to 1366x768 down from fHD.

This also didn't prevent my PC to reboot. So I went on the internet to see if others are facing similar issues. I was able to find this page which suggested to install OCCT which is a tool that checks PSU. Computer rebooting while playing games - [Solved] - PC Gaming

6. So I installed the tool OCCT.

The CPU test didn't do anything, except raising temperature of CPU to critical levels. But the GPU test and Power supply test, sure led to my PC being rebooted. As soon as I start the test, PC gets rebooted immediately.

This probably means my PSU is not able to carry sufficient load. Now I have following questions:

1. How suddenly my Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU is not able to carry the load, when it use to for years?
2. Is it safe to work on a PC if I don't game?
3. Is there any other test that I can do to "confirm" that it's the PSU?
4. Can it be repaired? Or should I just try to get a new PSU? After all this PSU served me for more than 3 years (can't recall when I bought this PSU exactly).

Specs in signature and also below:
Code:
HP Pavillion 22XW Monitor (1080p)
Cooler Master E350N
WD 1 TB WD Blue
Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts
Intel 3.2 GHz 4570 i5 (LGA 1150)
G.Skill DDR3 12 GB RAM
MSI H87M-G43 Mobo
MSI RX 480 4 GB GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
First of all you should have used a higher wattage PSU as rx 480 is a power hungry GPU.

1. How suddenly my Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU is not able to carry the load, when it use to for years?

probably some deterioration of capacitors as the PSU will be at high load when GPU is stressed. How long have you been using this PSU with your GPU?

share the voltage readings from BIOS . Probably the voltage may be dropping more than it is allowed under higher load. If that is the cause , then it may not be a good idea continuing with your PSU.

is it possible to borrow a higher wattage PSU from a friend?
4. Can it be repaired? Or should I just try to get a new PSU? After all this PSU served me for more than 3 years (can't recall when I bought this PSU exactly).
if it is out of warranty, get a new one provided the PSU is the culprit. get atleast a 550W PSU, like corsair tx550m or cx550.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
First of all you should have used a higher wattage PSU as rx 480 is a power hungry GPU.

probably some deterioration of capacitors as the PSU will be at high load when GPU is stressed. How long have you been using this PSU with your GPU?

share the voltage readings from BIOS . Probably the voltage may be dropping more than it is allowed under higher load. If that is the cause , then it may not be a good idea continuing with your PSU.

is it possible to borrow a higher wattage PSU from a friend?

if it is out of warranty, get a new one provided the PSU is the culprit. get atleast a 550W PSU, like corsair tx550m or cx550.

I knew when I bought RX 480 that 430 watt PSU is a bit living on the edge. And it worked too. But now if your capacitor theory is true then yes I will need to get a higher watt PSU.
I bought my GPU on Oct 2016. So using this GPU with PSU for about 20 months.

I will share the voltage readings soon.

I can arrange Antec VP450P 450 Watts PSU from my friend to test. Will report once I test it.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
vyom said:
. How suddenly my Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU is not able to carry the load, when it use to for years?
4. Can it be repaired? Or should I just try to get a new PSU? After all this PSU served me for more than 3 years (can't recall whe
[/code]

1) Much more chances of it being a PSU problem

Caps have a finite life , given the age and usage of PSU they have likely run their lifetime

2) No on a safe side , although it may appear to be working , failed cap would probably increase ripple quite a bit and affect voltages , that ripple will then be transferred to your caps on motherboard and gpu .. And they would be under stress , thus reducing their lifetime.. Now whether that will signifcantly shorten their life or only marginally will depend how much of it has increased

3) test with other PSU like vp450p from friend you mentioned

4) repair possible- yes .. But PSU uses special types of caps that are hard to find and most local repair guys wouldn't know about it, .. They would just put general cap of same voltage and capacitance .. So it would fail again after a few months while also increasing ripple.. So if you want to recap you will have to use good quality decent brand caps and replace most of them otherwise will be doing the same thing after a few months again , which can get expensive if you order new ones.. Though it can be a permanent fix then

If very tight on budget a new PSU like cx450 @3.2 k is much better with 5 year warranty , if PSU is the cause """test it first with other PSU before buying""""

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So I managed to check my PC with my friend's Seasonic 450 watt PSU. I played Gravel demo and also GTA V for half hour. PC didn't reboot at all.

As for voltage readings, here are they in below pic. I can't see much difference, but I think PSU being the culprit is sure now.
*i.imgur.com/UAHiTap.jpg

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Created this thread to find the best PSU: Looking for best PSU for my Core i5 4570 and RX 480 PC

Closing this thread as it served the purpose.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Opened this thread again. Since this is weird.

How to make sure that PSU is the actual culprit? Today I was able to play GTA V for 25 min and the PC didn't go restart. :|
I also tried the OCCT benchmark and PC didn't reboot while previously use to reboot as soon as I hit start the benchmark.

PLEASE HALP.

@gta5 @billubakra @Nerevarine @whitestar_999

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Hey if some caps are failing, you cant predict when they will work or not. If your PC works 100 % with the new PSU, then obviously the old one is the culprit.
The RX580 was never meant to be run with a CX430v2 anyway, its just barely borderline passes the OK status, get a new PSU (as you have done tests enough to prove it is the culprit) and forget about this business

billubakra

Conversation Architect
∆∆∆∆ +1
Don't use that PSU, it might harm the other components too. Just get the new one as you have selected in the other thread.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hey if some caps are failing, you cant predict when they will work or not. If your PC works 100 % with the new PSU, then obviously the old one is the culprit.
The RX580 was never meant to be run with a CX430v2 anyway, its just barely borderline passes the OK status, get a new PSU (as you have done tests enough to prove it is the culprit) and forget about this business
I think you mean RX 480. Or did you mean RX 580?
Yes I have done the tests. But after that I tested my PC with my friend's PSU. After which now the PC is also working with my old PSU and stress testing is not making my PC reboot. Could that mean that maybe the wires were loose perhaps?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
∆∆∆∆ +1
Don't use that PSU, it might harm the other components too. Just get the new one as you have selected in the other thread.
I still want to confirm if the CX 430 v2 is the culprit, cause if it isn't, then surely the reboot problem might arise with new PSU too.
And right now the new PSU is sealed pack and I can resell it if it's not the issue!

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I still want to confirm if the CX 430 v2 is the culprit, cause if it isn't, then surely the reboot problem might arise with new PSU too.
And right now the new PSU is sealed pack and I can resell it if it's not the issue!
It is the culprit. Didn't you test it with your friend's psu?

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I think you mean RX 480. Or did you mean RX 580?
Yes I have done the tests. But after that I tested my PC with my friend's PSU. After which now the PC is also working with my old PSU and stress testing is not making my PC reboot. Could that mean that maybe the wires were loose perhaps?
About last line maybe, maybe not. Perform some more diagnostic tests to be sure. And wait for gta5 and whitestar to chip in.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It is the culprit. Didn't you test it with your friend's psu?
I did. The PC ran fine at that time. But isn't it possible that the PC was rebooting because of some loose wire connection? And when I swapped the PSU the issue was resolved?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
About last line maybe, maybe not. Perform some more diagnostic tests to be sure. And wait for gta5 and whitestar to chip in.
Not sure what more tests I can perform. The OCCT benchmark isn't failing the PSU anymore.

Top Bottom