** Post all your BSNL Broadband Related Queries Here **

Dr. House

No Regrets
This is a lie. I am from Meerut and my profiling was changed from my local exchange.
I had the exact same problem. One night I was getting absolutely fine speed of 10mbps, and next morning it was 4mbps. There was no fault in line or cable. SNR was 5 and 6, attainable rate went down to 6mbps.
Only thing that needed to be done was the PORT changing. They needed to change the Port and speed was back to normal.
Attainable rate now is 28mbps, SNR is 25 and 30.
So ask them to change the port.
Also, how far is the exchange from your home?
It's around 2km. I use to get 20+ dB SNR, JTO said there are so many disturbances in the line in our city. Nobody gets good SNR. Do you mean should I ask for DSLAM port changing? Is there anything line man can do in my case? Because earlier they said it's disturbance in line parameter.

UPDATE: My attainable rate increased to 13k and getting speed of 6.72 mbps now. SNR is 9.5 dB now. Is this because of evening time?

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Imgur

Last edited:

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
^ There are things called switches at the DSLAM exchange. The switches might have gone bad. They will have to replace it with new ones. Just saying it's a possibility.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
SNR rate may go up & down depending on traffic & noise in the lines.e.g.in rainy season snr fluctuates more compared to summer.It may depend on time too as during heavy traffic timing the congestion & therefore noise in the system will be highest.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Thanks! man I will go to exchange in free time and make them to do that.

Ask for port changing first. It's that or the switches going bad.
But I guess what they do when they change the port is that they just switch it to someone else's port. So basically someone else might suffer :lol:

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Actually you could bring your router along with you to the exchange. They can connect it directly to your current port with your login. So you can check it then and there itself whether you are getting downstream 10240(?)Kbps or not. This will also eliminate the possibility of line interference between the exchange and your home.

Dr. House

No Regrets
Actually you could bring your router along with you to the exchange. They can connect it directly to your current port with your login. So you can check it then and there itself whether you are getting downstream 10240(?)Kbps or not. This will also eliminate the possibility of line interference between the exchange and your home.
See I have been downgraded to get 4mbps Imgur

I will go to exchange tomorrow, didn't get free time today.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
See I have been downgraded to get 4mbps Imgur

I will go to exchange tomorrow, didn't get free time today.

Has there been any progress on this?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am seeing an Upstream rate of 612 Kbps and Downstream 11220 Kbps today. This looks odd but if I actually get a bit of extra speed, I am not complaining :)

Speedof.me shows 74 ms latency, 510 Kbps upload and 9.75 Mbps download.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I had crossed my FUP and was offered Happy Browsing a few days before. Today I find that my speed is restricted to 2 Mbps down and 512 Kbps up. Is this for me alone or anyone else seeing this?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I am not interested in limited plans. I am happy with lower speeded unlimited plans.

--------

Looks like Happy Browsing is over for me. Stuck at 2 Mbps.

zohansinha

Right off the assembly line
i was using the wired plan ( non FTTH ) but these FTTH plans are too temptiong
anyone knw what the hell is this ONT device that we need to buy ? wont my TPLink TD-W8968 router suffice , these damn bsnl employees dont knw shit

meetdilip

Computer Addict
It's BSNL in the end. If something goes wrong on Friday evening, nothing will be ok till Monday. The same babus and a new technology.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i was using the wired plan ( non FTTH ) but these FTTH plans are too temptiong
anyone knw what the hell is this ONT device that we need to buy ? wont my TPLink TD-W8968 router suffice , these damn bsnl employees dont knw shit
ONT device is provided by ISP,these are too costly to be purchased by a typical home user.From ONT a lan wire output will be provided which can then be connected to any router.Also FTTH installation is costly for BSNL(fyi BSNL is the 2nd largest loss making psu after air india) so forget about getting it in your area unless it is a housing society or a very posh area with demand for such connections.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Yeah they are not only loss making they are almost bankrupt too, but saw on news that they are taking a 4000 cr loan or some shit. It's just good to see that they wanna stay in the business. I mean why not, these babus here just sit their ass off in office all day long and get almost a six figure salary at the end of the month.

Top Bottom