Suggestion for Laptop with budget of ~45-65k

mitraark

Decrepit
1) What is your budget?

need a laptop for my sister, budget flexible 45-65k.

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer

Not too keen on compromising on performance. I was looking at the new Ryzen 5 HP Envy at $650, that might be acceptable, but more than that price I dont want to go.

Want it to have backlit keyboard, that really adds a lot to the looks. RGB would have been even better, but i doubt there's one available sub 65k :(

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Web browsing, movies, ms word excel, occasional audio / video editing ( not heavy apps )

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
8 GB ram, i5 , Preferably 2 TB, No SSD required, i'd rather not have it and save money

Such specs might seem like an overkill but my last laptop is still running in it's 9th year, i am hoping the new one will have a similar life, so I am looking for something which won't go completely obsolete afterwards.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: HP , Lenovo
b. Dislike: Acer ( i know they price their products very well, but the cut costs somewhere for that, it might be the screen, or build quality.

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution ( 768p (HD) / 900p / 1080p (Full HD) )
  • Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) / extended (5-7hrs) )
  • Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, Amazon)/ Local ( Kolkata )
Hows this one ?

Asus FX503 Core i7 7th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) FX503VD-DM111T Gaming Laptop Rs.72990 Price in India - Buy Asus FX503 Core i7 7th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) FX503VD-DM111T Gaming Laptop Black Online - Asus : Flipkart.com

i7 + 1050 4GB at 61.5k after discounts. Backlit keyboard. Looks a bit too brut ( typical of a gaming laptop ) but still ok i guess. Good for the price ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your sister needs this laptop,right?From my experience girls don't prefer bulky/brute/heavy laptops in general so better confirm it from her before going ahead with suggestions here.

Saving money on ssd is not recommended in this budget,there is a day & night difference between system performance when using ssd.Also forget about running this laptop for 9 years as they don't make laptops now-a-days like earlier times.Consider yourself lucky if your laptop can survive 5 years.

Buying laptop online should always be the last option or the only option(some gaming laptops are exclusively available online,others give huge discounts but again only online).In a big city like Kolkata you should have brand exclusive stores of almost all major laptop manufacturers not to mention these shops usually gives exclusive warranty offers not available online.You need to personally see a laptop to judge its screen,sound,touchpad,design,weight etc.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Asus VivoBook S15 Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/2 GB Graphics) S510UN-BQ217T Laptop Rs.59990 Price in India - Buy Asus VivoBook S15 Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/2 GB Graphics) S510UN-BQ217T Laptop Gold Online - Asus : Flipkart.com

Add an Samsung 860 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD @ 6.5k

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Focus on i5-8250U, IPS 1080p screen, at least 240 GB m.2 ssd (or an empty slot for same), 16GB dual channel ddr4 ram (or 8GB + 1 empty slot) and >=70 Wh Battery. Ignore rest of the config.

OP
mitraark

mitraark

Decrepit
Focus on i5-8250U, IPS 1080p screen, at least 240 GB m.2 ssd (or an empty slot for same), 16GB dual channel ddr4 ram (or 8GB + 1 empty slot) and >=70 Wh Battery. Ignore rest of the config.
Dude I am not buying this for myself.. i know i said I want the laptop to last long but specs are secondary here :|

RGB backlit keyboard is what i need. And the color, or texture should be different, eye catching.

I would have got the Macbook Air but the laptop needs to have Windows for certain audio editing certain to run.

Dude I am not buying this for myself.. i know i said I want the laptop to last long but specs are secondary here :|

RGB backlit keyboard is what i need. And the color, or texture should be different, eye catching.

I would have got the Macbook Air but the laptop needs to have Windows for certain audio editing certain to run.
RGB backlit KB laptops cost 1 lakh+ in India. So single color backlit KB is the only option.

The laptop @bssunilreddy suggested is good under 65k for your sister. Its light & looks good, not too much eye catchy though (unless she wants eye catchy).

I don't understand why you would like to cut costs on SSD, it is a single component which improves the responsiveness of the PC by a lot. A cheap 128GB SATA SSD is enough for OS & other apps. That Vivobook has an additional M.2 slot for SSD along with normal SATA 2.5" slot.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

If you want a different texture, apply a dbrand skin. Macbook air is actually trash (has a 768p screen and too outdated internals).

OP
mitraark

mitraark

Decrepit
I'm unable to go forward with the ASUS laptop because apparently"ASUS is crap" :(

I am holding off the purchase for a few weeks to gather money for the HP Envy, is that ok ?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
For your sister get a lightweight laptop and 8th Gen Intel CPU.
Don't ignore SSD to save cost.
instead get Core-i5 8th gen instead of Core i-7 and SSD is a must now a days.

*www.amazon.in/HP-Pavilion-x360-Tou...84225&sr=8-7&keywords=core+i5+8th+gen+laptops

Last edited:
I'm unable to go forward with the ASUS laptop because apparently"ASUS is crap" :(

I am holding off the purchase for a few weeks to gather money for the HP Envy, is that ok ?
Even though not many people buy Asus/Acer laptops but I found problems in HP & Lenovo after few years to be more frequent than Asus & Acer. The charger/adapter with Asus laptops is a bit annoying otherwise it seems fine IMO.

Check this Dell one:
New Inspiron 13 5000 Laptop | Dell India
Or this one
*www.amazon.in/DELL-Inspiron-5570-1...&sr=1-1&keywords=core+i5+8th+gen+dell+laptops

I'd personally suggest the 13" one because its light & has SSD pre-installed. You can always get an external HDD for more storage. The Asus one can have an SSD+HDD, which along with its GPU makes it superior to other options from Dell, HP or Lenovo.

Minion

Conversation Architect
*www.amazon.in/dp/B0752S2RDX/ref=psdc_1375424031_t3_B0752S2RDW
Though this one doesn't look sleek but display on this laptop is excellent so is sound quality also processor is HQ one, not the normal U one and has a 1050 GTX which may help in editing

Last edited:
OP
mitraark

mitraark

Decrepit
@SaiyanGoku @anupam_pb @Minion @Zangetsu

I bought this today on Prime Day Sale, was listed at Rs 66890/-, final cost was around Rs 57700/- with 10% HDFC cashback and 5% Amazon Pay cashback.

Dell Inspiron Gaming Inspiron 5577 15.6-inch Laptop (7th Gen Core i5-7300HQ/8GB/1TB/Windows 10 Home/128GB SSD/4GB Graphics)

*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07B6CGY37/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Delivery this friday.

It'll be used by my sister, does it look too rugged and flashy for a girl ? I thought the laptop looked quite elegant for a gaming laptop. Felt like i was getting performance with decent looks at a good price.

Many people commented that the display was not up to the mark, initially i was put off by those statements but then I thought I mostly use the laptop at around 0-10% brightness so i probably wont be bothered.

Comments welcome.

Its good enough for 58k considering its a Dell laptop & has better battery life than competitors. The cooling solution is better than old Acer Nitro 5 & Asus FX553 as well.

OP
mitraark

mitraark

Decrepit
Laptop delivered, will unbox tomorrow.

But seriously considering returning it. The display (and the bezel to some extent ) is whats bothering me :(

Asus VivoBook S15 Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/2 GB Graphics) S510UN-BQ217T Laptop Rs.57990 Price in India - Buy Asus VivoBook S15 Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/2 GB Graphics) S510UN-BQ217T Laptop Gold Online - Asus : Flipkart.com

WD Green 120GB SATA III M.2 Internal SSD (WDS120G1G0B)
*www.amazon.in/Green-120GB-SATA-Int...ie=UTF8&qid=1531980569&sr=1-1&keywords=m2+ssd

WD Blue 500GB M.2 Internal Solid State Drive (WDS500G2B0B)
*www.amazon.in/dp/B073SBX6TY/?coliid=IFF7GWKS3GBAK&colid=2AEYIPHD17J7D&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This combo looks better :( 3k/10k extra, for 120GB/500 GB SSD instead of 128GB, MX150 instead of 1050, less performance but far more power efficient; the display would have been better along with the looks.

I got tempted with the cashback offer on Amazon Prime Day and hastily made the purchase. The laptop is used as a desktop at my home, if they like the dell i might keep it otherwise i'll return :(

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't go for anything other than Samsung ssd & especially do not go with 120GB ssd as these are not recommended for anyone other than those strictly budget limited.

Top Bottom