Laptop Suggestion (35-45k )

Rajesh345

Youngling
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
VM Ware VM /Linux /and very rarely gaming, purpose is mainly running VM for testing 2012/Win10/Kali Linux/Ubuntu
Should be able to run min 2 VM
(Would replace Mechanical HDD with SSD and Inc Ram to 18GB )
GPU 1050 requireD for opencl based applications

#Note: Previously i using "Lenovo G50-45 Notebook (APU Quad Core A8/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Free DOS/ 2GB Graph) "
upgraded to Samsung SSD and 18GB DDR3 Ram, but faces issue with 100% CPU most of the time, even on windows/Linux Single boot running Facebook+Youtube , i can feel the delay

# Note: I am not Planning for High storage , i would be moving internal mechanical HDD to CD Drive Caddy and Use SSD as Primary OS Drive, also would be upgrading Ram to Min 18GB Ram

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
pref 7th gen corw i7 or 8th gen core i5 H series

6) Are you a gamer ? Planning to use Lap for gaming ?
No, i would use Desktop for it ,
but i have cuda/opencl based applications

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like:Used Lenovo G50-45 and never faced any issue and their service was quick and would high look for Lenovo
b. Dislike:Accer, but if their product quality is good then no issue

Must have option to extend warranty to 3 years.

) Anything else you would like to say?
HD Screen
Online (Flipk or Amazon only)
Pref
1050 based gpu
Numeric side keypad

Must
Ability to upgrade to 16gb+ ram

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.amazon.in/HP-Notebook-bs146tu-...pID=41BNRqGUYZL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

*www.amazon.in/Lenovo-81BG00SLIN-15...pID=41WmO5SVhlL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

i would be moving internal mechanical HDD to CD Drive Caddy
Doing this would void warranty so better use internal hdd as portable hdd using usb enclosure at least for the warranty duration.Also not sure but in case of lenovo even upgrading hdd might require getting it done at their authorized service centre to avoid any potential warranty issues in future.

OP
R

Rajesh345

Youngling
Would there be a version of above Lenovo Laptop with Linux OS or DOS and built-in SSD? As the Default OS is Home edition, I can't even use Hyper-V feature unless I upgrade to Pro version, so would rather use Linux with Vmware Workstation.

2) If moving HDD to Caddy internal would void the warranty, any option for SSD model? I already have 1TB and 500GB Ext. HDD USB 3.0

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
HP 15 Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/DOS) 15-BS145TU Laptop Rs.38990 Price in India - Buy HP 15 Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/DOS) 15-BS145TU Laptop SParkling Black Online - HP : Flipkart.com

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would there be a version of above Lenovo Laptop with Linux OS or DOS and built-in SSD? As the Default OS is Home edition, I can't even use Hyper-V feature unless I upgrade to Pro version, so would rather use Linux with Vmware Workstation.

2) If moving HDD to Caddy internal would void the warranty, any option for SSD model? I already have 1TB and 500GB Ext. HDD USB 3.0
No built-in ssd in any brand in this budget.No dos version of lenovo model I posted though there is a few thousand rupees costlier dos model with 2tb hdd which is not worth extra money to you.DOS version of hp model is posted above(bs145tu) but difference is around 1k only so why not get win 10 version(you may use it in future for some other system/laptop by using microsoft account to link that win 10 to it).

OP
R

Rajesh345

Youngling
*www.amazon.in/HP-Notebook-bs146tu-...pID=41BNRqGUYZL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

*www.amazon.in/Lenovo-81BG00SLIN-15...pID=41WmO5SVhlL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Doing this would void warranty so better use internal hdd as portable hdd using usb enclosure at least for the warranty duration.Also not sure but in case of lenovo even upgrading hdd might require getting it done at their authorized service centre to avoid any potential warranty issues in future.

*www.amazon.in/Lenovo-81BG00...pID=41WmO5SVhlL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

This Laptop looks good in technical spec's except in color (loves black, but its okay )

Now
  1. Laptop Price: 41,480.00
  2. SSD 256 GB 6500
  3. Ram +8GB Module ~6 to 6.5 k (upgrade from authorized Lenovo CS)(price is from flipkart price)
  4. Total = 54480
before I order the above laptop, is there any chance to get better specification laptop with a slight increase in budget ??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing better but I think hp bs146tu has a better screen but to be sure you need to check in person at some showroom.Also confirm before buying from some lenovo authorized service centre/showroom that they would upgrade ssd/ram without voiding warranty.

hotshot05

I luv Digit
Lenovo does not place warranty stickers on the screws which have to be touched to access the HDD, RAM bays. But I have heard that HP does so.
In my Lenovo Ideapad Z50-70, I could easily upgrade the RAM and HDD. Never had to take it to service centre. So don't know if they would have had created issue regarding this. But since they have put exposed screws, it is very unlikely.

But I have not heard the same about HP/Dell!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know for sure Acer places warranty stickers on HDD & ram bays so upgrading by yourself is not an option without voiding warranty.First time hearing about HP doing such thing though,any concrete proof(like some friend's experience etc).

P.S.Lenovo Yoga slim design is such that it is not possible to upgrade ram/hdd(not sure which one) without opening whole bottom panel which will definitely void warranty.

OP
R

Rajesh345

Youngling
*www.amazon.in/Lenovo-81BG00...pID=41WmO5SVhlL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Does this laptop requires opening entire bottom panel to replace HDD /Ram

On Lenovo g50-45 model(my old laptop), HDD and Ram have seperate bay, which don't have any sticker on top

OP
R

Rajesh345

Youngling
Bought the Lenovo Laptop , upgrade of HDD requires full backpanel to be removed ,

If i purchase SSD online and go to service center, would they migrate to SSD and move internal 1TB HDD to DVD Drive caddy ? without voiding the warranty ? or they require SSD to be bought through them only ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Replacing hdd with ssd bought from outside should not be an issue but I don't think they would do the "dvd drive hdd caddy" modification.Basically anything that alters the basic structure of a laptop is not allowed under warranty conditions(replacing hdd with ssd or putting extra ram stick does not change internal structure of laptop but a hdd caddy in place of dvd drive does).

OP
R

Rajesh345

Youngling
Check out this article-Best Laptop under 40,000 in India
Thanks for the effort but kindly post relevent link based on my requirements, on the link you have provided, none of the system is satisfying my requirements i posted in my first post

1) Accer - ...
2) 7th gen
3) Again Acer
4) Lenovo - 14' screen
5) Asus - Core i3
6) APU based
7) 7th Gen
8) HP- I3
9)Asus - 7th gen

Thankyou @whitestar_999 , i find everything perfect in this Lenovo IdeaPad 320 , but wished manufactures allows endusers to custom select parts like HDD /RAM size at the time of buying itself and ship with all the these parts assembled , hopefully in future

[Topic can be closed]

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good to know that your requirements were met by this model :) Dell used to give customization options years ago but sadly no such option now in India. Did you confirmed from service centre about upgrading hdd to ssd?

OP
R

Rajesh345

Youngling
Checked with lenovo online support & service center ,this specific laptop model supports only up to 12GB of ram ,4gb embedded /soldered to board and on Ram slot 4 gb is inserted , we can replace that with 8gb module ,which makes not 4+8GB , and the 2nd slot doesn't support 16GB module according to their official internal documentation

When checked with amazon seller, he have told this model would support up to 32GB, so have raised a complain with amazon with details from lenovo support

OP
R

Rajesh345

Youngling
Amazon has imitated the refund process +1 for amazon India support

Now I am back to looking for laptop
Display 15-16
CPU 8th only core i5 or +
Ram - Must support 16GB or +
Must have :+2 years extended warranty support )
Budget: 50k
Any with Nvdia gpu/amd gpu?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Amazon has imitated the refund process +1 for amazon India support

Now I am back to looking for laptop
Display 15-16
CPU 8th only core i5 or +
Ram - Must support 16GB or +
Must have :+2 years extended warranty support )
Budget: 50k
Any with Nvdia gpu/amd gpu?
For VM stuff, I don't think you should buy a laptop with ULV proccy (which is all what you'd get in your budget).

OP
R

Rajesh345

Youngling
For VM stuff, I don't think you should buy a laptop with ULV proccy (which is all what you'd get in your budget).
Kindly share few models links so i can get more details about the estimated price range and features availavle in that range of products

Top Bottom