3. Baidu Translate
4. Baidu Map
5. QQ International
6. QQ Music
7. QQ Mail
8. QQ Player
9. Mail Master

How to stay safe?

1. Do not install these apps. If you have already installed, remove them.
2. If you must have one or more of these apps, then disable internet access to these apps under:
Settings/ Apps/ Application List - choose the app and disable data usage completely.

Even if they spy on you, they cannot send your data outside your device.

42 "dangerous" Chinese smartphone apps you should delete right now

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I just read somewhere that many Chinese companies have many of the above apps installed in their phones which cannot be removed without root.

Flash

Lost in speed
Isnt this 3 month old news?
Government reportedly lists 42 Chinese apps as dangerous, including TrueCaller, UC Browser, Mi Store: Check if your phone has any of them

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Isnt this 3 month old news?
Government reportedly lists 42 Chinese apps as dangerous, including TrueCaller, UC Browser, Mi Store: Check if your phone has any of them
Yes, but it wasn't posted here. Hope no rules are broken.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Doesnt matter if they "had", without people in XDA discovering it, it would still be running to this day.
Wiping out stock rom is the only way to ensure you are analytics free.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Doesnt matter if they "had", without people in XDA discovering it, it would still be running to this day.
Wiping out stock rom is the only way to ensure you are analytics free.
I am not taking any sides but they have stopped. This matter has highlighted as our great Army has advised to stay away from the above apps.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my opinion use of social networking sites itself should be banned & made a punishable act for all armed forces personnel whether on or off duty.Who needs these "apps" when some ISI agent posing as "Miss Brittany" can trap officers over facebook?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Armed Forces Personel should be trained in cyberwarfare, malware and network security. They shouldn't be banned from anything. Commiting a critical leak should be punished like any regular organization, though etc, provided sufficient traning had been given to them prior to such leaks.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not talking about "cyber warfare,malware & network security". I am talking about "socializing with strangers online" on a world class website using a fully secure "hackproof" device.Armed forces personnel do not need to use facebook/instagram/twitter etc at all on any device owned by them whether on duty or off duty(their family members are free to create accounts & use them but no proxy using of these sites through them).In fact there are many members here(civilians so to speak) who do not use any such sites at all so I don't see why armed forces personnel can't do the same especially when they already surrendered some rights enjoyed by civilians when joining the forces(aka some fundamental rights do not apply to armed forces personnel like right to form union etc).

maheshn

Journeyman
Not to sound like a knowitall, or nit picking but Truecaller AB is a *Scandinavian* company, not a chinese one. Which one of my fellow sarcasm/ "brilliant" /sarcasm compatriots thought it fit to include it in "Chinese" smarphone apps? This is just sensational scandal mongering intended to whip up popular reaction, unless the news can be proven by a reliable third party source unconnected with either the indian or chinese governments.

Facebook et al are far more dangerous to your privacy and security than any of the listed apps in mine opinion.

Disclaimer: I don't work for or have any personal interests in Truecaller or *any* of the apps/companies listed above.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Not to sound like a knowitall, or nit picking but Truecaller AB is a *Scandinavian* company, not a chinese one. Which one of my fellow sarcasm/ "brilliant" /sarcasm compatriots thought it fit to include it in "Chinese" smarphone apps? This is just sensational scandal mongering intended to whip up popular reaction, unless the news can be proven by a reliable third party source unconnected with either the indian or chinese governments.

Facebook et al are far more dangerous to your privacy and security than any of the listed apps in mine opinion.

Disclaimer: I don't work for or have any personal interests in Truecaller or *any* of the apps/companies listed above.
I know and I was going to delete those last few apps but Army is saying to stay away from these too so posted the whole list here.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Cleaners & Boosters

1. Clean Master
2. Virus Cleaner (Hi Security Lab)
3. DU Battery Saver
4. Cache Clear
5. DU apps studio
6. DU Cleaner
7. DU Privacy

Antivirus

1. 360 Security
2. QQ Security Centre.

Browsers & Launchers

1. UC Browser
2. CM Browser
3. DU Browser
4. QQ Launcher

News

1. UC News,
2. News Dog
3. QQ News Feed

These apps are pure trash without a doubt, especially the "Antivirus" and "cleaner" ones.

Photo & Video Editors

1. Viva Video (QU Video Inc)
2. DU Recorder
3. Vault-Hide
4. You Cam Makeup
5. Beauty Plus
6. Perfect Corp
7. Wonder Camera
8. Photo Wonder
9. Selfie City

File Managers
3. WeSync

Chat

1. WeChat
2. Weibo

Miscellaneous

1. Truecaller
2. Parallel Space app
3. Baidu Translate
4. Baidu Map
5. QQ International
6. QQ Music
7. QQ Mail
8. QQ Player
9. Mail Master

Have never used these ones and probably never will.
On the other hand, Xiaomi's Mi Store and Community apps are kind of required, store for making purchases and community for Bootloader Unlocking.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
ShareIt is very popular file sharing app....how come it dangerous
What did the Defense Ministry say? "A number of Android/iOS apps developed by Chinese developers...are reportedly either spyware or other malicious ware. Use of these apps by our force personnel can be detrimental to data security having implications on the force and national security," read a previous Defense Ministry order.

Top Bottom