Laptop for Development @ Rs. 50-60K ($ 800)

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
I'll need the MS Office also (laptop has the trial version for one month); my preference is to get one time purchase. Was looking online and found following items:

Microsoft Home and Student - Microsoft : Flipkart.com

Microsoft Office 2016 Professional (STUD) - Microsoft : Flipkart.com

The second option looks more lucrative; not sure how genuine is that?
Or any other way to get the MS Office cheaper/free?

Thanks!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
2nd one is "not exactly genuine",pro plus versions are issued to a company's employees to enable them to use office at their homes in their own system at a very cheap rate(assuming they are doing company related work & need office for that).1st looks genuine but why take risk.

*www.amazon.in/Microsoft-Student-Wi...F8&qid=1521557091&sr=8-2&keywords=office+2016
The above is genuine as the seller is "cloudtail"(aka Indian amazon's own selling division).

However I will suggest this if you are also looking for a good cheap backup option & you have a good UL internet connection(20mbps+ dl/ul).
*www.amazon.in/Microsoft-Office-365...TF8&qid=1521558596&sr=1-2&keywords=office+365
Costs ~4k but comes with 5TB of one drive space(1TB/account,5 accounts) so basically you get office+5TB online backup space for a year.For 3k you get 1 account/1TB per year option.For comparison,1TB google drive costs ~6.5k/year & Amazon cloud(only on international site price in $) 1TB/year costs ~4k.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
2nd one is "not exactly genuine",pro plus versions are issued to a company's employees to enable them to use office at their homes in their own system at a very cheap rate(assuming they are doing company related work & need office for that).1st looks genuine but why take risk.

*www.amazon.in/Microsoft-Student-Wi...F8&qid=1521557091&sr=8-2&keywords=office+2016
The above is genuine as the seller is "cloudtail"(aka Indian amazon's own selling division).

However I will suggest this if you are also looking for a good cheap backup option & you have a good UL internet connection(20mbps+ dl/ul).
*www.amazon.in/Microsoft-Office-365...TF8&qid=1521558596&sr=1-2&keywords=office+365
Costs ~4k but comes with 5TB of one drive space(1TB/account,5 accounts) so basically you get office+5TB online backup space for a year.For 3k you get 1 account/1TB per year option.For comparison,1TB google drive costs ~6.5k/year & Amazon cloud(only on international site price in $) 1TB/year costs ~4k.
I bought my Windows 10 Pro & Office 2013 keys from here:Marketplace for Microsoft Software • r/microsoftsoftwareswap

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You could have bought from guys selling their personal dreamspark keys on techenclave & end result would still remain the same.Whatever money you paid to buy these keys did not go to Microsoft & most likely no tax paid on it either(at least the rate MS pays). Cheapest win oem listed on newegg is ~$92. Cheapest office 2016 on amazon india site sold by cloudtail is 5.8k(~$89). Anything you get cheaper than these prices(excl. discount offers etc) is money not going to MS even if the keys work fine.If you are willing to spend the money then at least spend on "official products" instead of giving money to some xyz person for getting "working products".

P.S.Office Pro Plus versions are not supposed to be sold,they are meant for employees of a company which has a contract with MS for Office Pro Plus subscription for employees.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Thank you friends for your input and suggestions!

Though I would also prefer to buy the official one, but surprised to know that even the Office Home & Student listed on Flipkart is not genuine? Also noticed the seller has not good ratings; so really not sure about that. There is a price diff of that and on Amazon of 1,300.

Also, I don't have that much data/files to backup, so would still prefer to buy onetime an stand alone version, rather than having recurring cost with Office 365.

I'll also check with local vendors for the best price, then buy accordingly.

Thanks a lot!

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
cpu-z values are not always correct,try HWiNFO - Hardware Information, Analysis and Monitoring Tools

I tried with this tool also, and got the similar result for RAM:

1. Maximum supported memory clock: 1200
2. Current memory clock: 665

So, something is not right. Checked in BIOS but couldn't find anything related to RAM frequency. It's American Megatrends EZ3, version 300.

Maybe the BIOS update should solve the issue.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can try updating bios but be very careful & read update instructions carefully as it has the potential to brick laptop if anything goes wrong.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
You can try updating bios but be very careful & read update instructions carefully as it has the potential to brick laptop if anything goes wrong.

I'm still looking for some other way to change the RAM details or XMP in BIOS; somehow I couldn't find that in BIOS. Updating the BIOS will be the last option.
Anyway, thanks for the support and input!

I'm still looking for some other way to change the RAM details or XMP in BIOS; somehow I couldn't find that in BIOS. Updating the BIOS will be the last option.
Anyway, thanks for the support and input!
Updating BIOS is usually as easy as installing a software. Just make sure you keep it connected to the charger. The laptop will restart & flash the new BIOS on its own. So just update the BIOS first.

It does have potential to brick your laptop, but that will happen only if you are crazy enough to remove shut down the laptop while flashing process is going on.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Updating BIOS is usually as easy as installing a software. Just make sure you keep it connected to the charger. The laptop will restart & flash the new BIOS on its own. So just update the BIOS first.

It does have potential to brick your laptop, but that will happen only if you are crazy enough to remove shut down the laptop while flashing process is going on.

Yes, that's true; as far as I understand the only thing we should be careful of while updating BIOS is consistent power supply during the update. I've updated the BIOS once for my home PC long back, but those days BIOS used to be simple BIOS. Now we can something new UEFI think; which I think is more complex.

Anyway, if I don't get any other way to correct the RAM clock, I'll update the BIOS eventually.

Thanks!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
You could have bought from guys selling their personal dreamspark keys on techenclave & end result would still remain the same.Whatever money you paid to buy these keys did not go to Microsoft & most likely no tax paid on it either(at least the rate MS pays). Cheapest win oem listed on newegg is ~$92. Cheapest office 2016 on amazon india site sold by cloudtail is 5.8k(~$89). Anything you get cheaper than these prices(excl. discount offers etc) is money not going to MS even if the keys work fine.If you are willing to spend the money then at least spend on "official products" instead of giving money to some xyz person for getting "working products".

P.S.Office Pro Plus versions are not supposed to be sold,they are meant for employees of a company which has a contract with MS for Office Pro Plus subscription for employees.

Thank you friends for your input and suggestions!

Though I would also prefer to buy the official one, but surprised to know that even the Office Home & Student listed on Flipkart is not genuine? Also noticed the seller has not good ratings; so really not sure about that. There is a price diff of that and on Amazon of 1,300.

Also, I don't have that much data/files to backup, so would still prefer to buy onetime an stand alone version, rather than having recurring cost with Office 365.

I'll also check with local vendors for the best price, then buy accordingly.

Thanks a lot!

Seems legit as the channel is a verified one.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Seems legit as the channel is a verified one.

Thanks for the update! I checked that SCDKey website for MS Office, and most of the editions are of "Plus" type.
Does it mean that we can buy the Plus editions in India; I can get the same from Flipkart for Rs. 1,950?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks for the update! I checked that SCDKey website for MS Office, and most of the editions are of "Plus" type.
Does it mean that we can buy the Plus editions in India; I can get the same from Flipkart for Rs. 1,950?

That may not be a retail key in flipkart.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@SaiyanGoku No windows key selling for less than $80-90 is "legit" even if they do work.Like I said these keys are not meant to be sold to public.

@edurgesh All MS Office "plus" editions are not meant to be sold in market,they are meant for a company's employees which has a subscription for Office "Plus" versions from MS.

Between giving your money to 3rd parties/sellers like these & getting "ahem" edition I say getting "ahem" edition & donating that money to a charity/PM relief fund is a better choice.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Oh OK, then which one should I buy? Directly from SCDKey, like this:

Buy Office2016 Professional Plus CD Key Global in SCDKey

I'm surprised how come they sell the genuine software keys for so cheap?
Take precaution and use PayPal if you'd be buying from them.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^See my earlier post,why give money to a 3rd party for a MS product which is not going to MS anyway(& most likely no taxes paid on it either).Better use open office or "ahem" version & give that money to a govt relief fund(you will get tax benefit too).

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
OK, it's a tough choice. I'll hold the decision to buy Office key for sometime; will continue the trial for now.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
^^See my earlier post,why give money to a 3rd party for a MS product which is not going to MS anyway(& most likely no taxes paid on it either).Better use open office or "ahem" version & give that money to a govt relief fund(you will get tax benefit too).

If it's not legitimate, it doesn't make sense to pay for that anyway. Not sure, how does it get activated and work?

Top Bottom