Additional SATA power cable

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I want to connect 3 internal HDDs but find that my power supply gives only 2 cables in 2x2 configuration for SATA power.

The DVD drive sits far above the HDD area making it impossible to use that cable to power 1 of the HDDs. At present one cable goes to DVD drive with a spare power supply plug hanging uselessly while another cable powers 2 of the HDDs.

From my research I understand that I can use Molex to SATA adapter and use the spare Molex pin to provide power for the other HDD.

But is this safe? Are there any brands I can trust for this?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
There's no harm in using Molex to SATA (As long as it's firmly crimped and wires are of correct gauges)

SATA has Orange +3.3V line which is normally not externally used by most SATA devices. Drawing +5 & +12V from Molex is good enough. In fact 2.5" devices don't even use +12.

Long back when SATA was newer, this was a sort of standard accessory in many mobo kits as the then PSU's had more Molex and less of SATA connectors.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Can I order any random piece from Amazon/eBay or can you recomend a particular unit of good quality?

I have connected the primary HDD properly. This will be used to power the old HDD salvaged from the now retired desktop.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I have personally used such accessories but I tend to pick them up from street hawkers on lamington road mumbai for as low as even 30 or 40 Rs a piece. However not everyone can go there and not everyone opts for such non branded options!

If you are looking online, do some research and at least opt for one where seller is offering some warranty and clearly states the gauge in AWG and length of the adapter. Sometimes they are too short and then if still not reaching to the end you may need to add a molex splitter. If you get a Y cable avoid plugging that extra leg of Y to anything. As much as possible ideally keep 1 molex to 1 SATA.

Take for example this link on Amazon. It's expensive but seller is offering warranty and has clearly stated the length and gauge. This link sharing by me is only indicative. I have no affiliation with amazon or any of its sellers.
Do explore more and then make your purchase decision.

Also if you have time do check with local laptop/desktop repairing shops too.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
*www.amazon.in/SNDIA-4-Pin-15-Pin-Female-Splitter/dp/B01E60MS2W

This looks alright to me plus there is no chance of loading it with another drive.

But there is one question. Right now there is only one MOLEX lead from the PSU that has 2 ports. I have connected one port to a chassis fan. I hope I can use the other port to power the HDD through this adapter.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Should not be a problem. Just in case you notice HDD hang then disconnect the fan on molex.
This happened to me me once when I connected my old PATA HDD as well as front and back fans on molex splitter. Disconnecting one then solved the issue!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@sling-shot - if you are getting cable online then Storite and CNCT are the brands you shall be looking for. Personally prefer CNCT and I've different types of cables from CNCT and all of them are working fine.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I found this CNCT model that is 12 inch in length. Most other cables are only 6 inch. However some are complaining about the quality of adapter even had to put Feviquick to fix one. Also one person says that newer SATA devices with SATA power need 5 pins and this only has 4 and hence may have problems. I did not understand that part.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Standard SATA power is 15 Pin connector. However from input end it uses 5 wires. so whoever said 5 pins probably meant 5 wires I guess.

+3.3 Orange, Black, Black (Ground), Red +5V and Yellow +12V.

Molex does not have +3.3 so Molex to SATA does not have Orange +3.3V. SATA HDDs, SSDs, (3.5", 2.5") should work fine with +5 & +12, (In fact 2.5" don't even use +12). Since you are anyways plugging it into your old HDD there's nothing to worry.

Despite if you are still in doubt, just take your old HDD to a nearby computer repair shop, the person there may charge you min services charges and shall show you that molex to sata power adapter does work well. These guys have such accessories with them as spares usually.

Top Bottom