Dashboard Camera for Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Hello guys, can you suggest a nice dashboard camera in/around 5-6k?
Should be able to read number plates of vehicles easily. GPS and other stuff needed only if possible without sacrificing on image quality.
What all things need to be checked to make sure it records in good quality? Resolution? Image sensor? Which sensor is good? :oops:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Just asking.. you are in some secret service or anything?

on the other hand i'm also interested :p

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Just asking.. you are in some secret service or anything?

on the other hand i'm also interested :p

:lol:

The main reason for this is Indians don't know how to drive. At any time, a biker without helmet can jump in front of your car, use one hand for holding mobile and other for combing hair. If he doesn't fall, you're lucky. If he does, news will have headline "Car crushes biker"(in case you're in imported car, "BMW/Audi kills biker"), public will burn your car and you'll have a criminal(?) case on you. Atleast having such a video proof can help a bit.
Read this. The girls on Activa were coming from wrong side of round about, collided with Honda City and were rushed to hospital by the guys in City. Their parents filed an FIR against the driver of car! He got out easily as he's a politician, but not everyone is. Having some proofs really helps, especially in Indian conditions.
It also helps if someone harms you or your car and runs away. You can have his registration number and proof of hit & run easily from camera.
Also, there are many cases where cops(or just random people) try to extort money from you by saying "You jumped that traffic signal" or "You were rash driving" when you didn't do anything wrong.

Someone suggested me dashboard camera can be easily found in Karol Bagh market(it's on ebay too, but not buying online). I'll most probably purchase it from there only but need to know what all things I should know about(don't wanna buy something that is useless as headlight in Suzuki Access or lanes on Indian roads).

khmadhu

change is constant!!
I am also looking for cheap and best one.. the problem is most of them are from china.

initially i tried to record my driving by placing my phone to a phone hanger attached to the front glass, but the problem is when a call comes the recording stops!.

check this magazines... u will know the features..

*akamai.globalsources.com.edgesuite.net/f/593/3445/5d/beverly.download.akamai.com/3445/mag/Auto_Parts_&_Accessories-EDM.PDF?source=10AXYT01&WT.mc_id=4037017&REQ_ID=10AXYT013005329632&pub=APAD

and also this one
*edmserver.globalsources.com/intimate/tracker/content_path/url_http.3A.2F.2Fakamai.2Eglobalsources.2Ecom.2Eedgesuite.2Enet.2Ff.2F593.2F3445.2F5d.2Fbeverly.2Edownload.2Eakamai.2Ecom.2F3445.2Fmag.2FSecurity_Products-EDM.2EPDF.3Fsource.3D10AXYT01.26WT.2Emc_id.3D4037017.26REQ_ID.3D10AXYT013005329632.26pub.3DSPD/campaignUin_889898/linkUin_30/customerUin_51733/logEnabled_true/ctEnabled_true/trackerType_2/

Last edited:

Say1st

Right off the assembly line
Search the internet and you will find innumerous [But Not Well Known] car dash cam manufacturers supplying decent quality car dvrs at reasonable prices, the big [companies have completely kept out of this segment, seems there overheads and margin expectations don't work out well for this segment. Example - Transcend and HP do have few models but they don't sell well as a] they are not camera companies b] they are too Pricey compared to their lesser known peers.

So for a product where "decent quality" options starts at 40 Dollar onwards and a "friendly neighborhood dealer" is a click away on most online portals you trust. You need to consider the following points.

1) FOV - Field of View how much broad view a camera records. While recording the front of whats passing your car please make sure its atleast 90 to 100 Degree [Horizontal] so that you dont miss out much. a BIG BUT - Companies mention the FoV as Vertical like they do in Screens so if they say "Honestly" 160 Degree - be sure it around "Real" 100 Degree.

2) Low Light Sensitivity - a fine balance makes sure that Night Recording is Great without Headlights or Tail Lights filling up your Cam Recording. You can throw in More than Look out for "WDR" capabilities in the Model.

3) Memory - Its a Pleasure to Watch a wide clear HD but that means lesser recording time on your Memory Card. For all practical purposes one would hardly review his past day driving unless there is a Accident or Incident Scene which he / she wants to retrieve. Thus even a 8 GB Memory Card with Couple of Hours of Recording can do the Job. As for HD - well most Car Cam "Manipulate" the Recording to the HD Specs meaning HD is "Interpolated by Software" to mention "HD CAR DVR" on there Packing.

A Line of caution - Our Discussion here is for "Self-Driven Vehicles" If you are looking for a Car Cam for your Other Vehicle or fleet, Sorry but nothing even close is offered at the moment in India. Reason they would cost upwards of 15k as they would require i) Two lens cams at least ii) Recording duration in days iii) GPS Logger else video footage of unknown roads wont give idea where the vehicle went iv) hidden - oh yes would beat the purpose as a possible wrongdoing will possibly be done by outsiders who will rip the cameras n your driver n your vehicle n your goods v) scores of other choices as good mic, vandal proof casing, possibilty to survive burn and high impact of accidents et cetra et cetra.

4] Battery - This is a misunderstood topic in context to a car camera. One expects them to work on there own for say couple of hours like any other personal hand held cameras, but they dont - Most Car Dash Cameras come with NOMINAL Batteries - Advance Models have capacitors. Reason 1) Car Cameras are expected to perform the entire duration of vehicle usage so they anyway have to be connected to a power source. Any Rechargeable batteries when continuous plugged in [charged n discharged] lose there life cycle exponentially fast, Even a 2000 mAh Battery would be dud in couple of months of usage 2) HEAT HEAT HEAT - Car Dash Boards are Hot - Plastic items and Bottle simply MELT. Offcourse there can be a "Industrial Grade" Battery to withstand the heat like the one under the car hood beside the Engine, but the resulting cost is not worth it in a Car Cam due to Reason 1 stated above. For Practical reasons the battery capacity is kept to a minimum. Battery Models will surely lose their ability to retain correct date and time stamping after a while in that case just set the device not to embed date and time stamp. Conclusion - Get a Capacitor Model if your budget allows Or [LATER ON] Don't time stamp the videos.

5] GPS - GSENSORS - IR Lights - Parking Mode - LDW Lane Departure Warning - All are useless cherries on a Ice Cream to make it look attractive to buy, but will be throw out to lick the main cream. Believe me we can explain why you dont need these but like cherry topped icecream you will be handed out one. Absence or Presence of these feature will impact your device usage satisfaction.

Conclusions - Just buy from a Verified Source as well as A Trusted Dealer. Any one can put up great Product Picture on websites. Car Camera Experts like us do buy 100's of Car Cams for the Love of It and 4 out of 10 goes to the bins [ Not worth gifting out to friends or family].
High Price does not ensure Quality. Lookout for Product Reviews by Individuals. Be clear what you want and what not.
Source(s):

Last edited by a moderator:

Ta_234

Broken In
Stop spamming and bumping this old thread.
??
I bought car just 3 months back.dash cam is totally new thing to me ( and may be new thing for 80% Indian Car owner)
If something is old to someone, it doesn't mean other should not discuss it.

I prefer existing thread instead of creating new thread .

I hope to get any experienced comment.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
??
I bought car just 3 months back.dash cam is totally new thing to me ( and may be new thing for 80% Indian Car owner)
If something is old to someone, it doesn't mean other should not discuss it.

I prefer existing thread instead of creating new thread .

I hope to get any experienced comment.
Please tell me you didn't create the 5 accounts which have been spamming about car dash cam since Friday while linking to your site/blog? :deadbored:

Ta_234

Broken In
Search the internet and you will find innumerous [But Not Well Known] car dash cam manufacturers supplying decent quality car dvrs at reasonable prices, the big [companies have completely kept out of this segment, seems there overheads and margin expectations don't work out well for this segment. Example - Transcend and HP do have few models but they don't sell well as a] they are not camera companies b] they are too Pricey compared to their lesser known peers.

So for a product where "decent quality" options starts at 40 Dollar onwards and a "friendly neighborhood dealer" is a click away on most online portals you trust. You need to consider the following points.

1) FOV - Field of View how much broad view a camera records. While recording the front of whats passing your car please make sure its atleast 90 to 100 Degree [Horizontal] so that you dont miss out much. a BIG BUT - Companies mention the FoV as Vertical like they do in Screens so if they say "Honestly" 160 Degree - be sure it around "Real" 100 Degree.

2) Low Light Sensitivity - a fine balance makes sure that Night Recording is Great without Headlights or Tail Lights filling up your Cam Recording. You can throw in More than Look out for "WDR" capabilities in the Model.

3) Memory - Its a Pleasure to Watch a wide clear HD but that means lesser recording time on your Memory Card. For all practical purposes one would hardly review his past day driving unless there is a Accident or Incident Scene which he / she wants to retrieve. Thus even a 8 GB Memory Card with Couple of Hours of Recording can do the Job. As for HD - well most Car Cam "Manipulate" the Recording to the HD Specs meaning HD is "Interpolated by Software" to mention "HD CAR DVR" on there Packing.

A Line of caution - Our Discussion here is for "Self-Driven Vehicles" If you are looking for a Car Cam for your Other Vehicle or fleet, Sorry but nothing even close is offered at the moment in India. Reason they would cost upwards of 15k as they would require i) Two lens cams at least ii) Recording duration in days iii) GPS Logger else video footage of unknown roads wont give idea where the vehicle went iv) hidden - oh yes would beat the purpose as a possible wrongdoing will possibly be done by outsiders who will rip the cameras n your driver n your vehicle n your goods v) scores of other choices as good mic, vandal proof casing, possibilty to survive burn and high impact of accidents et cetra et cetra.

4] Battery - This is a misunderstood topic in context to a car camera. One expects them to work on there own for say couple of hours like any other personal hand held cameras, but they dont - Most Car Dash Cameras come with NOMINAL Batteries - Advance Models have capacitors. Reason 1) Car Cameras are expected to perform the entire duration of vehicle usage so they anyway have to be connected to a power source. Any Rechargeable batteries when continuous plugged in [charged n discharged] lose there life cycle exponentially fast, Even a 2000 mAh Battery would be dud in couple of months of usage 2) HEAT HEAT HEAT - Car Dash Boards are Hot - Plastic items and Bottle simply MELT. Offcourse there can be a "Industrial Grade" Battery to withstand the heat like the one under the car hood beside the Engine, but the resulting cost is not worth it in a Car Cam due to Reason 1 stated above. For Practical reasons the battery capacity is kept to a minimum. Battery Models will surely lose their ability to retain correct date and time stamping after a while in that case just set the device not to embed date and time stamp. Conclusion - Get a Capacitor Model if your budget allows Or [LATER ON] Don't time stamp the videos.

5] GPS - GSENSORS - IR Lights - Parking Mode - LDW Lane Departure Warning - All are useless cherries on a Ice Cream to make it look attractive to buy, but will be throw out to lick the main cream. Believe me we can explain why you dont need these but like cherry topped icecream you will be handed out one. Absence or Presence of these feature will impact your device usage satisfaction.

Conclusions - Just buy from a Verified Source as well as A Trusted Dealer. Any one can put up great Product Picture on websites. Car Camera Experts like us do buy 100's of Car Cams for the Love of It and 4 out of 10 goes to the bins [ Not worth gifting out to friends or family].
High Price does not ensure Quality. Lookout for Product Reviews by Individuals. Be clear what you want and what not.
Source(s):

Dear Staff Members/Moderators,
I thought Forums exist to help members to remove the confusion, to get the help from experienced member and to provide any source to read/buy.
For example: I have quoted the above answer from one group member. He explained the features of dash camera very well. But then MOST IMPORTANT part is where is such Dash Cam ? Where to find it ?

He might had included the source/buying link but it was removed in name of moderation ! So I am clueless where to find it now !

I urge to please review your spamming policy ! If some replies more than thrice "oh thx..nice article. here is link: www.xyz..." then it can be called as SPAM. But above person didn't spam ! he has just posted single message.

Same way, I have posted just 2-3 messages in this forum and staff member accusing me posting spam !

When other members, and STAFF MEMBERS too post Amazon links of their purchase, then it is perfectly Ok !

But when I or some new member post any Direct Link for buying product, it is called spam !

Please view below thread in which members have posted links to buy something. Also STaff member has posted link to buy:

1) The Complete Smartphone Buyer's Guide
2) Infinity/Edge to edge display phone ( Link Posted by One of Staff Member)
3)Suggestion for new phone ~10k
4) suggest me a best business Android mobile phone for above normal below 11,000 INR
5) Buying a New Mobile? Check Out These Sites!
6) Tempered glass for Lenovo P2?

And there are lots more !

And please note that these product link on Amazon/Ebay etc are being sold by SOME VENDORS ! So what is the problem of proving link of site of some vendor !

I know my this answer may get deleted and my account may be banned for posting ! but atleast I have saved screen shots !

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since you posted a reply asking for explanation so here is it.

In 2015 Intel launched their 6th gen processors claiming to be the best,in 2017 7th gen pentium G4560(not even core i series) almost matched performance of i3 6100.The point is that 2 years is a "long time" in technology world & here you are bumping an almost 3 years old thread/post hoping that what it stated is still relevant in 2018.If that is not laughable then do tell me what is.

As for posting links to products you do know that Amazon & Flipkart pay Indian govt taxes(& quite a lot for that matter) & bring huge FDI into India.It is not "some vendor" who is selling but it is Amazon/Flipkart who are facilitating the transaction.One is free to post Amazon/FK links as long as they are not spam(e.g. buy xiomi mi5 followed by a FK link posted multiple times in multiple threads).

P.S.I hope you also save a screenshot of this post too for better luck in posting next time.

Ta_234

Broken In
Since you posted a reply asking for explanation so here is it.

In 2015 Intel launched their 6th gen processors claiming to be the best,in 2017 7th gen pentium G4560(not even core i series) almost matched performance of i3 6100.The point is that 2 years is a "long time" in technology world & here you are bumping an almost 3 years old thread/post hoping that what it stated is still relevant in 2018.If that is not laughable then do tell me what is.

As for posting links to products you do know that Amazon & Flipkart pay Indian govt taxes(& quite a lot for that matter) & bring huge FDI into India.It is not "some vendor" who is selling but it is Amazon/Flipkart who are facilitating the transaction.One is free to post Amazon/FK links as long as they are not spam(e.g. buy xiomi mi5 followed by a FK link posted multiple times in multiple threads).

P.S.I hope you also save a screenshot of this post too for better luck in posting next time.

Let me Remind you the title of this Thread . It is " Dashboard Camera For Car ?"

So I guess thread initiator was curious & suprised that Car Camera exists ! And bro trust me, I am not from rich family, I have a car which does not have inbuilt rear camera. So when I first heard the term "camera for Car" , I too was laughing & then curious .

You gave totally irrelevant example of technology as this thread does not relate to technology. It doesn't say VGA dash cam so that I can't talk about HD cam.

This thread is just about Dash cam which will be always relevant to New Car owner because in India you will find only 1 out of 10 car having Dash Camera. If moderator really don't want anyone to reply in this thread then there must be some provision to CLOSE the thread.

I am happy that atleast I make staff member laughed :)

And yes, posting link of Ebay, Amazon, Flipkart is always welcome, I favour it. They pay taxes.
But I am not foreign company, I had shared link which is Indian company selling Dash Camera. And as there is online payment gateways, we do pay taxes !

So I guess instead of posting AliExpress or Alibaba or Gearbest link, I had posted Indian Website link. But my fellow Indian Digit Staff is laughing instead of supporting Indian reseller. Hats off !

PS: Yes I do saved screen shot because I will be banned soon just because I raised my voice or my views does not match with Staff !

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
But I am not foreign company, I had shared link which is Indian company selling Dash Camera. And as there is online payment gateways, we do pay taxes !

So I guess instead of posting AliExpress or Alibaba or Gearbest link, I had posted Indian Website link. But my fellow Indian Digit Staff is laughing instead of supporting Indian reseller. Hats off !

PS: Yes I do saved screen shot because I will be banned soon just because I raised my voice or my views does not match with Staff !
No, this is what actually happened
1. You create this post:
Hi Friends,
I can say the most essential yet ignored accesory of car in India is Car Dashboard camera.

I asked my lawyer friend and I also found many reliable answers on Quora that such video footage are indeed legal evidence in court and can save you from false accusations from rash drivers.

So I finally bought one dash camera from Buy Online Best Latest Full HD Car Dashboard Camera India

I would suggest to look for large FOV, Full HD, Dual Recording, Excellent night video quality, inbuilt screen and speaker before buying dash camera.

2. Instead of naming the product, you linked your own site. Since self promotion posts are not allowed, I banned you.

3. You create multiple accounts (one of which was from your sales email) and kept repeating the same.

Anybody would've understood by now that you were/are spamming. And now, here you are whining and trying to justify your self promotion methods. All of this could've been avoided if you had gone through these threads:
FORUM RULES - Updated January 26, 2012
FAQ and Posting Guidelines for new members

Ta_234

Broken In
Dear Staff,
After Your warning, I didn't post any more links. Actually many reseller imports dash cam and sell under own brand name. So just telling name may not be sufficient so direct link, atleast once, is required. More than once would be soam, I agree.

Anyway, I wish to put end to this discussion and wish to suggest one simple thing.

Can we have one thread dedicated to Indian reseller who wants to promote their product ? Vendor may post info in specific format for clarity in one message only. It would help members to buy products at lower rates than Amazon, Flipkart.

Regards,

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amazon & FK are more trustworthy in eyes of an average customer compared to some "xyz indian site" hence the suspicion by default(build a reputation first & then come here,trust by default).

Technology is not limited,a 16MP mobile phone camera built in 2015 may be better than a 2018 model 20MP camera because it used a superior lens.Who is to say that technologies/factors used in 2015 are still relevant in 2018 for making buying decisions for a dashboard cam.

If you want to promote your product then first contact mods & only after getting a permission post direct links.Remember this is a forum operated by Digit magazine using their own resources & it is neither ethical nor moral to use this platform to solely promote your own product.When some member post Amazon/FK link for xyz product then he is not getting any money from it while you directly benefit if someone decide to buy your product based on your posted links here,that's the difference between an avg member & a seller posting links.

Ta_234

Broken In
Yes. I agree that Amazon,Fk,Snapdeal are more trustworthy and have reviews too. Also sites like IndiaMart for local re-seller also helping much without taking much lesser commission. It would be surprise to know that Flipkart/Snapdeal/Amazon takes commission of Rs.1500-1800 per Rs.9000 item of my dash cam. So as a seller, I would like to sell on my own site to reduce prices.

Also I have asked one valid question whether there can be any special thread for Indian Reseller so that they can list their Product & link ?

I hope to get any replies , atleast in negative so that I can stop being hopeful.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are mods,this forum is operated by Digit magazine & only their staff can approve such requests. @Raaabo only has the authority to approve it.It will take some time to get a reply as he is quite busy being chief editor of Digit magazine.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Flipkart and amazon etc marketplace links allowed. Single reseller sites not allowed, because no one can vouch for their authenticity or service. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Too many small time resellers try and sell quick and runaway from providing service or RMA, and too many scammers posing as resellers too. Please sell the same product on a larger marketing site, and you can post links to them, because it is more fair, and people can compare your product to others, and see feedback from other buyers, etc.

@whitestar_999 please display more patience and politeness when dealing with such things. there's no reason that mods have to be rude to anyone, or be confrontational or attack anyone, even if they are in the wrong. I'd like to make the forum more welcoming overall. I realise that you guys deal with a bucket load of spam and all that, but let's not chase users away by banning them immediately. Let's try warning and explaining first?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Raaabo point noted & won't happen again.Usually spammers always vanish after posting 1-2 spam posts without bothering about writing long coherent replies asking for reasons of banning/deleting but in this case it was different.On that note I should let you know that I straight away ban any spam post posted from a Pakistani IP as I consider it kind of a security measure.Please let me know if this is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom