Bandwidth sharing between roommates.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Hi,
I have a unique requirement. I have a 16 mbps unlimited connection in my apartment, shared by me and 2 other people.
Its an ADSL connection, from a switch located in the society. The router that Im using is a DLink 2750U, but I have another ADSL router, Digisol DG-BG4300NU and a TPLink 841N.
Is there a way to not have latency spike in games, whenever the other people are downloading or streaming.
I researched around, and found that QoS can shape your traffic, and prioritize based on IP or devices. Has anyone tested this out ?
Furthermore, I cannot find QoS settings the Dlink router. Its there in Digisol as well as TPLink. Tried it out on Digisol router, with 2 devices, with priority traffic to device 1.
1 PC - running league of legends
2 Laptop downloading something with IDM.
I noticed it didnt change anything at all. The Lag spike is still there.
I have not tried bridging the TPLink and using the QoS on it. If anyone has had a similar experience, and was able to solve this issue, please recommend. Also, I m willing to purchase a new bridging router, or flash DD-WRT/OpenWRT/Gargoyle on TPLink router if need be (Already did a few months back)
Thanks.
*www.dropbox.com/s/e2d6xg33bivmdvf/experts.PNG?dl=1

*www.dropbox.com/s/h53v6wcuvgm51wt/bandwidth2.PNG?dl=1

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I suspect that at that speed, you might be reaching the limits of weak processors in home routers. May be an enterprise grade router is needed.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is not just router processor but router firmware too which is equally important for QoS latency management.From whatever research I did it seems that very few routers have a good latency QoS implementation in their official firmware.
Do I need to use QoS? Will it lower pings? :: Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc. :: think broadband
QoS Queue Disciplines · RMerl/asuswrt-merlin Wiki · GitHub

Hrishi

Run OpenSource FW with fq_CoDel to tackle the bufferbloat. My best bet is to buy one which supports out of the box or else buy an old PC and slap two Gigabit NICs and a switch to it.

Unless you're running something bandwidth intensive (say 35-40Mbps, or touching >50% of that FastEthernet Link), your Router will be able to handle the load effectively. (not with stock fw however.....the fw were not designed keeping traffic shaping algorithm in mind).

It chokes the processor and memory because of all the queue alignment and shaping of packets. The more the packet (or I would say, the bigger)... The more choking would happen for the processor. An efficient algorithm or shit tons of resources.,or maybe both for better results.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom