Router below 1.5k & Configuration issues

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
All ADSL/telephone line based broadband connections require username/password provided by ISP.Just see the username/password from your airtel modem settings page by logging into the modem at its IP(usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1,default username password for modem usually is admin/admin).Also I don't know how good W8968 auto setup is but it has to correctly select the VPI/VCI values of Airtel ADSL line for link led to become stable.Username password only comes into the picture once the ADSL link led is stable.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Thank you @billubakra @whitestar_999.

I must have set wrong VCI and VPI values. I will check once I reach home in night.
Also, I don't know where to set this username and password, I mean in which field? Is it in the WAN settings??

No , I never had the VDSL connection. I have been provided with ADSL connection with a possibility to switch to VDSL connection (as per advertisment). I am just changing my modem/router as I was facing frequent drops in connection which was hurting my Rocket League rank. I have confirmed from Airtel if they are bringing VDSL to my area, they had no clue and I ran out of my patience. Hence the change. :)

Last edited:

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Thank you @billubakra @whitestar_999.

I must have set wrong VCI and VPI values. I will check once I reach home in night.
Also, I don't know where to set this username and password, I mean in which field? Is it in the WAN settings??

No , I never had the VDSL connection. I have been provided with ADSL connection with a possibility to switch to VDSL connection (as per advertisment). I am just changing my modem/router as I was facing frequent drops in connection which was hurting my Rocket League rank. I have confirmed from Airtel if they are bringing VDSL to my area, they had no clue and I ran out of my patience. Hence the change. :)

Under PPPOE in lan/wan settings. I don't recall where exactly it is.
If you switch to VDSL then do not buy the modem from them. Also once you switch to VDSL you cannot downgrade for like 6 months, check the connection speed in your area before switching.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
It is still not working. Steps I followed :
1. Selected Airtel as ISP and VCI/VPI values were set correctly as mentioned by billubakra in above post.
2. Entered correct PPPOe username and password
3. Changed DNS values provided by Airtel customer care.
4. Disconnected and reconnected.
Since I couldn't connect to internet,
5. Reset modem
6. Repeated Steps 1 to 4.

Ok so what shall I do now. The ADSL light just keep blinking, it is not able to connect to internet.

I can browse normally with that stupid Binatone modem/router.

This unit might be faulty? Or Shall I return this and get D-Link model?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you post screenshots of all the settings you made while configuring it?You can take screenshots at each step before & after doing the settings change & save it in PC,later with your binatone airtel connection upload those screenshots here.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
The problem is, I have changed the default password of my Binatone modem/router (like a techie person) and now I have forgotten (like a non techie person). And if I do a hard reset the modem/router to a bring it to default password then I am afraid I will lose the current settings and will not be able to setup myself. Which will result in no internet at all till Sunday(if Airtel Technician is available on that day). Otherwise i will be waiting till next weekend. FML

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
The ADSL Line State keep switching between Activation and Down*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171228/6806d925815eb2d630c3906f250abcf9.jpg

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Is it visible?? Just now I am noticing, the IP address says 0.0.0.0 . Is it normal??*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171228/c83b00151525b64313796050705388cd.jpg

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Ok so the Airtel Technician came. He saw everything and told me that this modem/router will not work as your connection type is VectorDSL. I explained him that I have talked to customer care about my connection speed and all. He told me you are getting ADSL speed as we don't have the facility in your street. Your connection type is VDSL and will work with any VDSL modem/router.

Now I am in situation of returning this product to Amazon and ask for refund. Amazon customer care has told me we can do refund for these kind of reasons "only once". In future no such requests Willbe expected. So I am thinking of saving this exceptional return & refund request for something better.

So my question is, is it possible for me to use this as router? The Airtel Technician seems to have no clue what I was talking about. So I will be on my own again if I want to connect Binatone modem to TP link router.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes,in fact one of the main advantage of W8968 is that it can be used as a router in combination with ADSL/VDSL modem & also as a router with cable modem/cable broadband connection.All you need to do is ask airtel technician to configure your VDSL modem in "bridge mode". In bridge mode everything is done by modem except entering username/password which can be done by either creating a shortcut in user's PC or a router which saves username/password & then dials the connection via modem.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
There is no blue port. But below one of the port, it says WAN.

The technician didn't understand when I suggested him to connect modem and TP link router, he just said this(TP Link) model will not work as it doesn't support VDSL. So If I decide to keep this, I will have to configure this on my own. And I am up for it, just need a bit guidance. Only thing is, it must work, otherwise I will place a refund request for this in 2 days

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It should work but it will be a lot easier if you can open settings page of airtel modem(you should have asked airtel technician to reset the modem & reconfigure it with default username password for modem settings).You don't need to return this as W8968 can be used as a router with cable broadband connections too.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I asked him the same thing. He told me he will switch that Binatone model with some Huawei model. Then I will have a new default username & password. Gonna try the bridge mode then if I still face the ping spikes

meetdilip

Computer Addict
There is no blue port. But below one of the port, it says WAN.

Some models have LAN/WAN combo ports. ie, it will look like yellow or white LAN port, but that will be named WAN. That will work too (if that is the case )

As for using as a WiFi router, all you have to do is get your modem working, take the output of the modem through a LAN cable and plugin to WAN input. These days, that and a few clicks on router interface is enough to get you going.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Some models have LAN/WAN combo ports. ie, it will look like yellow or white LAN port, but that will be named WAN. That will work too (if that is the case )

As for using as a WiFi router, all you have to do is get your modem working, take the output of the modem through a LAN cable and plugin to WAN input. These days, that and a few clicks on router interface is enough to get you going.
I read some articles over how to connect modem and router. Seems simple Let's see. I will ask here when I run into problem while setting it up.

snap

Lurker
Sorry for threadjacking, but i had a similar query. Is archer c20 the best bet for router under 2krs?

Was about to order this
*www.amazon.in/TP-Link-Archer-C20-Wireless-Router/dp/B0759QMF85

Top Bottom