Aadhaar related news and discussion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I found an enrolment centre in a small gully, it was like a xerox shop, hardly about 8 feet long and 5 feet wide. UIDAI calls it "aaple sarkar seva kendra", but to find it on Google Maps, you have to search for "Maha e Seva Kendra". They had specific dates on which enrolments are done, with a capacity of only 75 enrolments on that day. You have to get an appointment, and even after that the procedure is done on a first come first serve basis. The centre had a list of banks and post offices where enrolment can happen. Visited two of these locations, officer in one bank said all appointments are booked till June. Employee at another bank said that the UIDAI personnel had not come in to work that day.

One uncle at the centre was very harrowed. He wanted to update his biometrics, but the staff were being unco-operative and ignoring him. Apparently his identification or authentication in a fingerprint was failing repeatedly. He looked very angry, so did not want to bother him by asking where he needed to use it.

Also found out one very sad thing, this young child died of starvation because parents could not get ration as a consequence of mandatory linking.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I found an enrolment centre in a small gully, it was like a xerox shop, hardly about 8 feet long and 5 feet wide. UIDAI calls it "aaple sarkar seva kendra", but to find it on Google Maps, you have to search for "Maha e Seva Kendra". They had specific dates on which enrolments are done, with a capacity of only 75 enrolments on that day. You have to get an appointment, and even after that the procedure is done on a first come first serve basis. The centre had a list of banks and post offices where enrolment can happen. Visited two of these locations, officer in one bank said all appointments are booked till June. Employee at another bank said that the UIDAI personnel had not come in to work that day.

One uncle at the centre was very harrowed. He wanted to update his biometrics, but the staff were being unco-operative and ignoring him. Apparently his identification or authentication in a fingerprint was failing repeatedly. He looked very angry, so did not want to bother him by asking where he needed to use it.

Also found out one very sad thing, this young child died of starvation because parents could not get ration as a consequence of mandatory linking.
About that last line yes it is very sad and it was in news few months back. They will spend hundreds of crores on Murti's(statues of God's and politicians) but won't feed a child. Since then many similar cases like these have emerged.

You and slingshot should contact the state office of uidai and tell them to send someone at your place for enrollment. And no it does not take a month to generate the number, just contact your state office and ask them for an explanation.
I have given my biometrics more than one month back but have not been issued the final number yet.

Does it take this long?

karthik99387

Broken In
They cant force everyone to get aadhar right? if people really knew how unsecure they are by providing some organisation with their finger print and other vital information they really wouldn't.

I dont have aadhar yet and i have no plans on getting one.

(P.S. i also work in a bank)

billubakra

Conversation Architect
This forum is magic and @billubakra the magician! I got a message today saying that my number is generated.
Lolololololol. Agar aisi baat hai to bhai tujhe 1 crore rs. mile jaldi hi.
They cant force everyone to get aadhar right? if people really knew how unsecure they are by providing some organisation with their finger print and other vital information they really wouldn't.

I was the last one in the family to enroll. You will be forced to get one too. Just a matter of time. One cannot live or die peacefully without this number apparently.

P.S. I used to work in a bank.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
We can check where our card was used/submitted in the past 6 months
*resident.uidai.gov.in/notification-aadhaar
For this an otp has to be generated. For the older enrollments of say 6-7 years old one's they did not link any mobile number. Is it mandatory for the person to go to the enrollment centre to update the number or some family member can go there? They provide facility of coming at your place for fresh enrollments, not for updating details.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
They can't force you directly, but you will be impacted indirectly when it comes to availing any subsides - where they ask you to link your aadhar details in order to proceed.
Also i've read that certain homeless people has availed Aadhar, by giving their relative's address for them. So, Aadhar can't be trusted though.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Is filing IT returns a subsidy? What about mobile number? Traveling?

The subsidy thing was only an eyewash. It is needed just to live a normal life now.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Supreme Court upheld validity of Aadhaar(which is most likely scenario) then one can not escape from getting Aadhaar.Every bank account must have PAN/Aadhaar & linking PAN to Aadhaar is also mandatory so anybody who opens/operate a bank account after 31st Mar 2018 will have to get Aadhaar.

You must have PAN & you avoided getting Aadhaar because of SC ruling that those who have not yet applied for Aadhaar are not required to get aadhaar to link their pan card but most likely after 31st mar 2018 you will have to apply for it to file your IT returns unless SC decides otherwise.

karthik99387

Broken In
If Supreme Court upheld validity of Aadhaar(which is most likely scenario) then one can not escape from getting Aadhaar.Every bank account must have PAN/Aadhaar & linking PAN to Aadhaar is also mandatory so anybody who opens/operate a bank account after 31st Mar 2018 will have to get Aadhaar.

You must have PAN & you avoided getting Aadhaar because of SC ruling that those who have not yet applied for Aadhaar are not required to get aadhaar to link their pan card but most likely after 31st mar 2018 you will have to apply for it to file your IT returns unless SC decides otherwise.

Most probably....another funny thing is we are told to enter names that were displayed on AAdhar during account opening even if they are wrong.

Banks are going to use AADHAR as a reference to link multiple customer ID's during mergers.... will wait and see what happens after 31st of march.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wait till 2nd week of Feb,I think,by which time SC should give a definite ruling about constitutionality of Aadhaar.If it finds Aadhaar alright then there is no other way but to get Aadhaar.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I will be in favor of this card the day it is linked with voter card. It will never be linked because half of the voter cards will become invalid if linked properly.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Now this is scary - Aadhar puts Bull’s Eye on every Jawaan’s Back: Location can be tracked by hackers every time an army man withdraws his salary

In a new affidavit filed before the Supreme Court, technocrat, Samir Kelekar, who has more than 3 decades of experience in cyber-security, has pointed out the sheer imprudence of the proposed Aadhaar project. The affidavit points out that Aadhaar does much worse that just compromise basic privacy by facilitating real-time and non-real-time surveillance of UID holders, by the UID authority and other actors that may gain access to the authentication records held with the said authority or authentication data traffic as the case may be.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Aadhaar [Day-4 Session-2] Aadhaar Project’s Structure Promotes Establishment Of Surveillance State, Argues Shyam Divan

Such records, collected in separate silos, when accumulated over a lifetime can create a complete profile of an individual, or even a section of the society. Such surveillance is bad from the constitutional point of view.

More real concerns

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now this is scary - Aadhar puts Bull’s Eye on every Jawaan’s Back: Location can be tracked by hackers every time an army man withdraws his salary
Without "real verifiable facts this is nothing but imagined scenario". In fact a hacker/hackers capable enough to breach Aadhaar system would rather breach defence communication systems & satellites which would give much more advantage compared to tracking soldiers drawing salary.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Every concerns about Aadhaar are mostly just concerns but not proven incident or facts. Even smartphone and other objects continuously are tracking us, getting our data, photos secretly and we give some on so called " social media " platform ( pardon my ignorance about this FB, twitter, instagram or selfie culture - no offence meant to anyone ).

"Old" Intel processors have bug which can lead to huge data breach / theft/ hack - are we going to stop using Intel just for this ?

Aadhaar has it's shortcomings like every other system on planet. It's not perfect which is a good thing like other things and this is why it still has room for improvement.

Once most of the people gets Aadhaar it would be a good thing to link it with voter id first or make Aadhaar a voter id after some years.

Top Bottom