Bought: Buying new phone with a personality (after my Moto X died)

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
You should wait for Redmi note 5, pretty sure its gonna start the trend for full face display in low end segment
I did hear a rumor that Redmi Note 5 will come with 18:9 display. But launch seems far. And I am without a smartphone since a week now.

Minion

Conversation Architect
[QUOTE

Removing excessive costly and the brands I wouldn't prefer, following is the shortlist:
Huawei Honor 9i (₹ 17,999)
LG Q6-series (₹ 14,990)
[/QUOTE]

Both Q6 and Honor 9i are worst phone for mid range segment LG Q6 doesn't even have a fingerprint sensor and is bundled with very weak chipset Huawei Honor 9i has super weak GPU for a 2k display i don't know what huwaie was thinking when launching this device.

Moto z play is still a good phone and doesn't cost a bomb

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Both Q6 and Honor 9i are worst phone for mid range segment LG Q6 doesn't even have a fingerprint sensor and is bundled with very weak chipset Huawei Honor 9i has super weak GPU for a 2k display i don't know what huwaie was thing launching this device.

Moto z play is still a good phone and doesn't cost a bomb
Well, I know LG Q6 is bad phone for specs thats why I selected Honor 9i as a phone which have 18:9 display (my new fetish). But I ruled out Honor 9i cause it lacks gyroscope.
About Moto Z Play, following was my comment in first post:
Moto Z Play: It's a one year old phone. It have same processor as in Moto G5 plus and G5s BUT price is a lot more since it's "moddable" with very costly Moto Mods. White Moto Z play is Rs 20,100 but Black is Rs 24999. WUT?

Edit: Now white one and black one Moto Z play is both Rs 25k on FK, but only Black one is available. Don't know how they changed price of an out of stock white Moto Z Play cause I think it was OOS before too.

Anyway, so the issue with Moto Z Play is that it's 25K. I wouldn't want to buy a one year old phone when newer generation Moto Z2 play is Rs 28K. But suddenly now I am way out of budget. Reaching Rs 30K. -_-

Minion

Conversation Architect
Well, I know LG Q6 is bad phone for specs thats why I selected Honor 9i as a phone which have 18:9 display (my new fetish). But I ruled out Honor 9i cause it lacks gyroscope.
About Moto Z Play, following was my comment in first post:
Moto Z Play: It's a one year old phone. It have same processor as in Moto G5 plus and G5s BUT price is a lot more since it's "moddable" with very costly Moto Mods. White Moto Z play is Rs 20,100 but Black is Rs 24999. WUT?

Edit: Now white one and black one Moto Z play is both Rs 25k on FK, but only Black one is available. Don't know how they changed price of an out of stock white Moto Z Play cause I think it was OOS before too.

Anyway, so the issue with Moto Z Play is that it's 25K. I wouldn't want to buy a one year old phone when newer generation Moto Z2 play is Rs 28K. But suddenly now I am way out of budget. Reaching Rs 30K. -_-

All 2017 mid range phones offer same SD 625 chipset I wouldn't recommend moto G5 plus due to single speaker which act as both ear piece and speaker moto G5S plus camera has lag issues and lacks an compass which is absurd I suggested moto Z play(White model) due to cost 20k and this phone has large battery and very good display.

Honestly I would recommended zenfone 3 which costs around 18k for 64GB model and 13k for 32GB model this phone looks awesome with superb design it also has OIS and has a very good camera but again you will say its a year old phone you will not find a single phone which fulfills all your requirement.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
All 2017 mid range phones offer same SD 625 chipset I wouldn't recommend moto G5 plus due to single speaker which act as both ear piece and speaker moto G5S plus camera has lag issues and lacks an compass which is absurd I suggested moto Z play(White model) due to cost 20k and this phone has large battery and very good display.

Honestly I would recommended zenfone 3 which costs around 18k for 64GB model and 13k for 32GB model this phone looks awesome with superb design it also has OIS and has a very good camera but again you will say its a year old phone you will not find a single phone which fulfills all your requirement.
Already ruled out Moto G5 plus long back due to lack of basic sensor such as compass.

Looked at Zenfone 3. Somehow it's design doesn't cut it for me. Also the price variation seems very odd between colors. For 3 GB RAM and 32 GB model price is Rs 13,999 for all 3 colours. But for Black 64 GB mode, price is Rs 18,599. And which is what I want. It's sad that whichever phone I look at, don't miss to disappoint me.

Anyway, I got a Micromax bolt phone from someone for Rs 2k. It have 1 GB of RAM, 8 GB of memory and a pathetic LCD display. I will keep using it until I find "the ONE". :'(

thatsashok

peace panda
Another @Vyom purchase swayamvar thread

To make things simple : Buy Oneplus device, install custom ROM (warranty not void & huge community ) and be happy with the decent camera it has.

As for the benchmarking trickery since you don't game as per requirements questionnaire, Just ignore the details.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Another @Vyom purchase swayamvar thread

To make things simple : Buy Oneplus device, install custom ROM (warranty not void & huge community ) and be happy with the decent camera it has.

As for the benchmarking trickery since you don't game as per requirements questionnaire, Just ignore the details.
I use OP3 and don't give a damn about those benchmarks. Real world usage matters.

Looking to hire a hacker/ private investigator to hack your spouses cellphone or email and other blackhat services
~snip~
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking to ban spammers like you here.

Sent from my T200TA using Google Chrome

Respawner

Right off the assembly line
Already ruled out Moto G5 plus long back due to lack of basic sensor such as compass.

Looked at Zenfone 3. Somehow it's design doesn't cut it for me. Also the price variation seems very odd between colors. For 3 GB RAM and 32 GB model price is Rs 13,999 for all 3 colours. But for Black 64 GB mode, price is Rs 18,599. And which is what I want. It's sad that whichever phone I look at, don't miss to disappoint me.

Anyway, I got a Micromax bolt phone from someone for Rs 2k. It have 1 GB of RAM, 8 GB of memory and a pathetic LCD display. I will keep using it until I find "the ONE". :'(

Well .. buy Xiaomi mi A1? It has good camera , Decent performance and has 64 GB variant for 15k..(or maybe wait for Redmi Note 5 , if 18:9 display is your thing)

NO phone under 25k checks all the boxes(i.e. 18:9 display, OIS , 4k Recording etc.)

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

One Plus devices maybe good but it isn't that good. I did some research on how One Plus 5 fares with respect to LG V20 (a one year old phone):

LG V20 pros over One Plus 5:
1. Removable battery - for power user it might come in handy.
2. The LG V20 is made from military grade material - holds up good if dropped (MIL-STD-810G certified) (Drop test:
)
3. Secondary small screen on top of main screen - It does look good.
*www.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/styles/larger_wm_brw/public/article_images/2016/12/lg-v20-second-screen-2.jpg?itok=i9UijHVJ
4. LG V20 despite not having AMOLED screen is more bright under direct sunlight. Is also Quad HD wrt to the fHD resolution of One Plus 5.
5. Expandable storage and that too dedicated slot.
6. Dual camera where the other camera is wide angle lens. One Plus 5's secondary camera is telephoto lens which is less practical than wide angle lens. So LG V20 wins here.
7. Infrared (IR blaster as they like to call it now a days) and FM Radio both present on LG V20 while it isn't in One plus 5.
8. 32 bit Hi Fi Quad DAC - Translate to better clarity sounds if you have a good set of ear/head phones.
9. Finally I can get LG V20 (with 64 GB memory) at Rs 30k, while the same 64 GB memory One Plus 5 is Rs 33K. The 128 GB variant is 38K (and considering the fact that I can't expand the storage I would be stuck with internal memory in One Plus 5).

LG V20 cons over One Plus 5:
1. Amoled screen. After using Amoled screen on my Moto X I wish to have a phone with Amoled, but then LG V20 IPS LCD screen is not bad as explained in pros section.
2. Since One plus don't have removal battery and while it doesn't have an IP rating, it's somewhat water resistant as proved by tests on YT. (But then LG V20 have removable battery which is more advantageous for power users).
3. Gorilla Glass 5 (LG V20 have Gorilla Glass 4) but hey, I would be using Tempered ANYWAY.
4. Better processor (who cares, LG V20 have snapdragon 820, its till fast).
5. Alert Slider - One hardware toggle button to toggle to put phone into DND mode is probably extremely helpful. (BUT, I might get around to it using the secondary screen on LG V20).

So, I managed to negate almost all cons of One plus 5 (and not intentionally) :p

Conclusion:
Overall One Plus 5 is a good looking phone with Amoled screen but it looks exactly like Moto X in terms of front look. So the LG V20 despite it being a phablet, rocks in terms of "personality" score that matters in this thread. The Quad HD screen of LG V20 combined with the Quad DAC and a secondary mini display which will show time, apps, notifications and even your signature even when you are gaming or watching movies is quite a good hardware feature that amps up the personality score of the phone. The LG V20 is a product for niche users (like me) and the fans of this phone swears by the usability of secondary screen and removable battery (which is luxury in high end smartphones these days).

So, unless there is any good phones under 30k (with no compromise) I think LG V20 could be my next gadget!

Edit: Yes, as Respawner puts it, no phone under 25K is perfect. Hence I have now made up my mind to go beyond it. LG V20 seems very close to perfection, if not the perfect phone.

Last edited:

thatsashok

peace panda
My only submission is that just go in showroom and see the camera if that is your main interest/usage from phone. Do not depend on edited footage, encoded in youtube and watch in low res on youtube and decide

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
I got my Q6 for 9.4k from Amazon - Festival offer 12990, plus exchange of my Moto E2 (~3.5k :D. Special offer for Q6). Now it is selling for 15k, I think.

Pros:
Good build quality (not great)
Easy to use with one hand
Nice display and looks
Some Camera features
6 months replacement for display (once)
Dedicated slots for 2 SIMS and 1 SD Card

Average:
Battery lasts one day on moderate use (2 to 3 hours totally on Opera, WhatsApp, Twitter, Reddit)
Average Camera (not good, not bad either)

Cons:
Slippery, needs a rubber/silicon case
No fingerprint sensor
No quick charge
Edit: As minion already pointed out - weak processor

Looks I spoke too soon. Did not read the 2nd page posts and missed your shortlist. This is not worth 15k or even 13k. But since I got a good trade, I am not complaining.

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Vyom Why don't you get lg G6 ?
Cause for the extra 4k, LG G6 isn't much of an improvement from LG V20.

> Sure, the LG G6 is 18:9 ratio phone which means it's smaller with same screen size, but it's not Amoled, so not much screen quality difference.
> Sure, the LG G6 is waterproof but they traded removable battery for that.
> LG V20 uses dedicated slot for memory card, G6 uses Hybrid

Besides, if I am going to buy LG V20 I am going to buy it even lower than Rs 30k. It's dropped lower before. New sales are coming up. And I am also sold by its secondary display.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Between the LG G6 and LG V20, I did a reevaluation:

> Sure, LG V20 and LG G6 both have LCD, LG G6 does have 18:9 display and rounded corners... looks better.
> Sure LG V20 have removable battery, but we gain wireless charging and waterproofing in LG G6
> Well, no excuse with not having a dedicated slot for MicroSD card. But it does have 64 GB memory.

So yea, I haven't ruled out LG G6 yet. BUT I am amazed to see how I am progressing from 15K -> 25K -> 30K to now 34k. :p

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Brother hope you don't mind me asking, which stream have you opted for in your studies?
If your budget is around 34k then get a flagship Galaxy. Trust me you won't regret it.

Top Bottom