Issues with modem 777VR1

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

SHITtel is providing 16mbps speed in my area finally, all thanks to Jio. Anyways the same can be only accessed through a VDSL modem. Since the one's available online were out of budget and I wasn't sure whether I will get the speed or not so I opted for their Beetel 777VR1 modem Airtel Vdsl Router Beetel 777VR1 Modem + wireless - gavnit.com This modem seems like a privacy destroyer, I mean the mac is linked with my account so I can only access the internet with this modem only, if I buy a new one then first I will have to request them to de-link this. It automatically keeps on opening SHITtel's website every now and then. If I need to change the wifi password or say the ssid name, I have to do it from their website. Yes, along with the 192.168.1.1 page, you mention the password on their website and it gets changed in the modem too. So, is this modem allright or am I just hating it because it takes like 5 minutes for the link light to stable? Is there anyway to notice whether it is sending data in the background to its servers?
One more thing, in my previous TP-Link router I used to block access to the internet to several mac id's whenever there were exams, detailed thread- Manage internet connections through modem Is it possible to do the same with this modem? The UI is crap.

Thanks

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I want to change the login password of the page 192.168.1.1, the current password is my account number. It can also be accessed by typing in password.
*i.imgur.com/Gd5hEbo.jpg

Which option should I select? Also If I select logout then what will the same do, logout from the modem's ip page?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
*i.imgur.com/grNCru3.jpg

Destination mac is the mac of the device where the internet needs to be blocked. What should be the source mac?
I have checked all options, not able to find the option to change the login password.
So, I entered the source mac as modem's mac, destination mac as my phone's mac. Added it and then denied both outgoing and incoming default policy. But the internet access was blocked in all connected devices. Any help for the same?

Wishing you all a very Happy Diwali

Last edited:

meetdilip

Computer Addict
If you want to handle with router alone. Get a non wifi modem from market, get it linked to whatever procedure that is mandatory with Airtel. Then, connect this setup to a WiFi router using a LAN cable. By that way, you have better control over WiFi password, MAC filter etc

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
in the mac filtering u can set the mac addresses to the pc/devices u want to allow traffic to flow(means upload / download)... I guess source = ur pc and destination = router mac and its outgoing.
That's all I know as the interface looks really bad. u can get tp link and use that along with this modem

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
If you want to handle with router alone. Get a non wifi modem from market, get it linked to whatever procedure that is mandatory with Airtel. Then, connect this setup to a WiFi router using a LAN cable. By that way, you have better control over WiFi password, MAC filter etc
Non-wifi modem won't work as a vdsl modem is mandatory. All vdsl modems have inbuilt wifis. Even if I get say a TP link modem, the mac would have to be shared with the ISP and they will again "control" it I guess. Any help on the internet blocking issue?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
in the mac filtering u can set the mac addresses to the pc/devices u want to allow traffic to flow(means upload / download)... I guess source = ur pc and destination = router mac and its outgoing.
That's all I know as the interface looks really bad. u can get tp link and use that along with this modem

What I did was that I set the source mac as modem's mac, destination mac as my phone's mac. Added it and then denied both outgoing and incoming default policy. But the internet access was blocked in all connected devices. Check the screenshot in post number 3.
Yes the UI is horrible. More than that I am worried that the ISP knows my wifi password as they "control" the modem in a way. I have a TP link ADSL modem. How to use it with this beetel crap?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Non-wifi modem won't work as a vdsl modem is mandatory. All vdsl modems have inbuilt wifis. Even if I get say a TP link modem, the mac would have to be shared with the ISP and they will again "control" it I guess. Any help on the internet blocking issue?
What I did was that I set the source mac as modem's mac, destination mac as my phone's mac. Added it and then denied both outgoing and incoming default policy. But the internet access was blocked in all connected devices. Check the screenshot in post number 3.
Yes the UI is horrible. More than that I am worried that the ISP knows my wifi password as they "control" the modem in a way. I have a TP link ADSL modem. How to use it with this beetel crap?
You worry too much.What would airtel do with your wifi password?In fact why would Airtel "control" your modem when it is your ISP.You think there is anything you can do without the knowledge of your ISP,you can't.All ISPs are required by law to collect logs of connections of all customers & these logs are the "real stuff" not your "modem password" or "wifi password".

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Let it be. But, if there is a LAN port available, you can still use another WiFi router as your SSID provider and MAC filtering device.
Yes 4 LAN ports available. How to set the ADSL modem as MAC filtering device?

You worry too much.What would airtel do with your wifi password?In fact why would Airtel "control" your modem when it is your ISP.You think there is anything you can do without the knowledge of your ISP,you can't.All ISPs are required by law to collect logs of connections of all customers & these logs are the "real stuff" not your "modem password" or "wifi password".
Well I know that they are watching and collecting logs and that is absolutely fine. I am not sending mails to al qaeda. My problem is that when the isp guy gave his team the mac of the router, it was automatically set up and then the wifi password that I set was showing in their official app that they have in their phones and he auto connected his phone to my wifi. When I said how did he do it, his answer was don't worry we won't use your data pack. Now the browser keeps on auto opening their official webpage every now and then which sucks. Any help on the mac filtering issue?

There is an additional issue, in my old ADSL modem I set up the SSID say as abcd and its password was 12345. I set this same SSID and password in my phone's wi-fi direct. So, I used to connect to the internet without having to enter the password again and my SSID was the same always. The problem with this router is that I have set the same credentials but whenever I connect my pc and laptop with the router and my phone or vice versa I have to forget the password and then re-enter the same password to connect to the internet. If I connect any of the other phones in the same way they connect perfectly with the router and the wifi direct. I know the easy way out is to change the SSID but I just want to know why is this happening?
Faced a similar kind of issue when I was using the ADSL modem but it worked fine after a day or two without me doing anything as mentioned in the replies here-
No internet error in laptop

meetdilip

Computer Addict
How to set the ADSL modem as MAC filtering device?

Once you log into the router, you will find a page which allows you to add MAC address. This page will also have an allow or deny option. If you choose allow, it will only allow entered MAC to connect. If deny, entered MAC devices will be denied.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope. I tested yesterday in my friends home. He's also on the fall update and it works fine. He's using an ADSL modem. So, 10 is innocent.
Every windows pc system is unique.Unless your friend's pc is identical to yours down to every last setting/hardware/software since the day he started using win 10,i say this does not prove anything.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Every windows pc system is unique.Unless your friend's pc is identical to yours down to every last setting/hardware/software since the day he started using win 10,i say this does not prove anything.
Touche. But again what the hell could be the setting that is messing up the same in my pc and laptop?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Try forgetting the network itself & re-add it in pc/laptop/phone.
I did the same in 10. But when I switch from wifi-connect to wifi I have to forget the password and reconnect the same.
Switching is working fine in xp, 7 and in all phones. Any help regarding blocking of devices via mac?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use different ssid for networks,is there any need to keep both ssid name same.

For MAC blocking try using source MAC as the device MAC whose network access needs to be blocked,destination mac will remain same as router MAC.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Use different ssid for networks,is there any need to keep both ssid name same.

For MAC blocking try using source MAC as the device MAC whose network access needs to be blocked,destination mac will remain same as router MAC.

SSID- Yes they need to be the same as it was going on for years. I just want to correct the driver or whatever issue is causing this.
MAC- It still doesn't block. This router is all messed up.

Top Bottom