Game of Thrones Season 7 is almost over. That right there is a phrase that some of us never saw coming when we started watching the show more than six years ago. And this season it has been a riot of action, drama, unreal travel times and the culmination of memes that lasted almost as long as the show has. With today’s emotional roller coaster of an episode, we are down to one last episode this season after which the show goes on another hiatus of at least a year (why HBO why!) and HBO has released the usual painstakingly short preview of that very finale. You can watch the video below:
Before we get started, let’s have a quick recap of what everybody significant is doing right now
- The Night king has a dragon and is probably on his way to the wall.
- Daenerys, Jon Snow and the rest of the party that ventured north is now on its way back to King’s Landing with the captured wight to convince Cersei about the threat up north.
- In Winterfell, Arya and Sansa are on the verge of some sister vs sister action, thanks to Petyr ‘Littlefinger’ Baelish.
- Gendry and Sir Davos are at the wall.
- Back in Dragonstone, Tyrion, Varys and the rest of Daenerys’ squad are awaiting her return/instructions
- Euron and Greyworm are still at Casterly Rock, ready for some more of that fast travel magic to come their way.
The preview for next week’s finale sets its tone clearly right from the start – there’s a war.
Greyworm finally seems to have received his share of the fast travel magic we were talking about, although it is unclear where exactly he is positioned at this moment in the preview. The next shot features a pro at Westerosi fast travel antics.
Here we see what is unmistakably Euron’s fleet at King’s landing, almost certainly there to make a statement to the parties en-route for the meeting.
It would be interesting to see Varys back in King’s landing and face to face with the Lannisters after he left their service to join Daenerys. Do expect a mini war of words at that confrontation. Additionally, Theon ‘Reek’ Greyjoy would almost certainly have to face Euron Greyjoy, especially since he intends to get his sister freed from the dungeons at King’s Landing. Will he show some backbone for a change this late in the series? Or will Uncle Euron once again embarrass Little Theon – this time in front of the people who have taken him and Yara on as allies?
Talking about statements, here’s where we find out how Daenerys is making one.
The Dothraki hordes join the Unsullied positioned outside what could only be King’s Landing. In this shot we see a brooding Jaime and Bronn looking at the stationed forces and almost certainly wondering whether they’d have to face the wrath of the Dothraki again, this time with the Unsullied in tow.
Moving on to the North.
Sansa seems to be taking a harmless walk on the ramparts at Winterfell. But as we have known over the years with Game of Thrones, nothing, especially in previews, is harmless. Could she be possibly meeting up with someone in secret here? Maybe Arya, in a secret discussion that would eventually end up with a quick stabbing? Okay, we might be getting a bit carried away here.
As a side-note, keep in mind that the Hound now knows that Brienne is (usually) at Winterfell, thanks to Tormund’s heartfelt adulations of her. It would be really interesting to see them face off against each other once again. Or would it be a 2-vs-1 with Tormund joining her side? Ah, we digress.
Back to Dragonstone. Wait, what?
Theon falling to his knees back on the beach at what looks like Dragonstone. What is this shot even doing here at this point? This is definitely something that happens before they leave for King’s Landing, something that is devastating enough for Theon to fall down. Perhaps he receives confirmation of his sister meeting a grim fate at the hands of Cersei or her forces. But that wouldn’t explain his normal demeanor seen earlier in the trailer. We’ll have to wait for the episode to figure this one out. Which brings us to our last segment at the Dragonpit.
Without going into individual character shots, it suffices to say that we see Jon, Cersei, Tyrion and a number of significant characters at the same place for the first time. But what’s more important, is who is missing. See if you can spot the same in this shot.
If you haven’t here’s a quick list and why they could be missing.
- Daenerys : It’s the dragonpit, do you really think she won’t make an entrance on a Dragon?
- Hound : Might just be hyping up a Cleganebowl, seeing as the Mountain will certainly be there as Cersei’s Kingsguard. And we know from an earlier trailer that he will definitely be there, and armed at that. It could be possible that he’ll be bringing in the wight, and slaying it as well.
- Mountain: Read above point.
And that leaves us with the final shot of Jon declaring how important this episode is going to be.
Now, all we have to hope for is that the finale should not leak online. What is your take on this trailer? Why was nothing north of the wall shown in this one? Who won’t make it to the next season? Do let us know your answers in the comments below.