Whatsapp backup query

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

I took a backup of my Whatsapp data including videos few days back to my Google Drive, the size of the same was 180mb. Just now I was taking the backup again and the size of the data was 360mb and then after 60% or 70% it kept on increasing like it became over 500mb considering I did not receive any new message of any kind. Few doubts-

1. If I open the Google Drive via the app or pc, I am not able to find the backed up data anywhere. Where is it located?

2. The back up data which was taken few days back, is it overwritten or it stays there as it is? Why is the size of the backed up data increasing right now?

WA is up to date.

Thanks

You can't access the backup. I think. It gets restored if you even move to a new cellphone or reinstall WhatsApp. It's all good. Rest easy. And size increases as you receive more texts, imgs, etc.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
You can't access the backup. I think. It gets restored if you even move to a new cellphone or reinstall WhatsApp. It's all good. Rest easy. And size increases as you receive more texts, imgs, etc.

Back up WhatsApp messages (Android only) - Drive Hel

Yes.. Correct!! They are inaccessible !! And the more data you include, the more size it gets

Thanks. Please help me understand this, I tested this on a new phone too, the backup size of few messages in that phone is 10mb. Then we sent a 5mb video from another phone to this phone. The backup size becomes 15mb. Now if we take backup via Google Drive the whole 15mb gets uploaded. That's fine. But what happens to the older 10mb of data? Is it overwritten or deleted?

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Thanks. Please help me understand this, I tested this on a new phone too, the backup size of few messages in that phone is 10mb. Then we sent a 5mb video from another phone to this phone. The backup size becomes 15mb. Now if we take backup via Google Drive the whole 15mb gets uploaded. That's fine. But what happens to the older 10mb of data? Is it overwritten or deleted?

Your Backup consists of two parts - Whatsapp messages (in the form of DB) and Media.

Media Files gets added, The DB consists of messages, so the news messages will be added to DB as entries and this file as a whole DB gets uploaded. So the old DB is replaced by the new DB, yet your messages are there safely in the DB.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
It gets updated, I am assuming. Don't think too much about it.

Actually the storage in my Google Drive is filling up way too much after taking backups and I don't think that the older data is getting deleted or overwritten.

Your Backup consists of two parts - Whatsapp messages (in the form of DB) and Media.

Media Files gets added, The DB consists of messages, so the news messages will be added to DB as entries and this file as a whole DB gets uploaded. So the old DB is replaced by the new DB, yet your messages are there safely in the DB.

The messages might get replaced, they are in kb's. I am talking about videos and audio files. Like I mentioned above, 15mb file was uploaded and then we sent a video of 10mb but the second time we took the backup whole 25mb was uploaded and not just 10mb. In my case the backup size is like 500mb+

Flash

Lost in speed
Actually the storage in my Google Drive is filling up way too much after taking backups and I don't think that the older data is getting deleted or overwritten.

[h=2]Delete or stop backups[/h]If you delete your backup or app data from Drive, you won't be able to recover it.

1. Using a computer, go to drive.google.com.
  2. In the top right, click Settings*lh6.ggpht.com/snsP5-ODgFFqVJhxS5La7OAqsAmO-GwYWWERMFPW5R4MXcxp0zUZ5Bq6lRFqrvk92lA=w18-h18 > Settings.
  3. On the left, click Manage Apps.
  4. Find "WhatsApp" in the list.
    Note: If your backup is large, WhatsApp might take a few minutes to display.
  5. Click Options > Delete Hidden App Data.
    To stop future backups, click Options > Disconnect from Drive.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
[h=2]Delete or stop backups[/h]If you delete your backup or app data from Drive, you won't be able to recover it.

1. Using a computer, go to drive.google.com.
  2. In the top right, click Settings*lh6.ggpht.com/snsP5-ODgFFqVJhxS5La7OAqsAmO-GwYWWERMFPW5R4MXcxp0zUZ5Bq6lRFqrvk92lA=w18-h18 > Settings.
  3. On the left, click Manage Apps.
  4. Find "WhatsApp" in the list.
    Note: If your backup is large, WhatsApp might take a few minutes to display.
  5. Click Options > Delete Hidden App Data.
    To stop future backups, click Options > Disconnect from Drive.

Thanks, I can check the 500mb odd data there, can't access it though. Anyways that means that every time a backup is taken the old one gets deleted and new backup from the scratch is uploaded. Other apps were eating up my Google Drive it seems.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker

The messages might get replaced, they are in kb's. I am talking about videos and audio files. Like I mentioned above, 15mb file was uploaded and then we sent a video of 10mb but the second time we took the backup whole 25mb was uploaded and not just 10mb. In my case the backup size is like 500mb+

Are you concerned with the bandwidth it uses or the storage it takes ?? Because from your query, 15MB video and then 10MB videos means totally 25 MB. That's how it should be.

Also, whatsapp can't upload individual files. It takes too much processing and unnecessary overhead. They simply bundle it up and then upload at the periodic interval set by you!!

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Are you concerned with the bandwidth it uses or the storage it takes ?? Because from your query, 15MB video and then 10MB videos means totally 25 MB. That's how it should be.

Also, whatsapp can't upload individual files. It takes too much processing and unnecessary overhead. They simply bundle it up and then upload at the periodic interval set by you!!

I am concerned about the size and bandwidth both. That 25 mb was uploaded from a new phone with WA installed for the first time. In my phone say I take the backup today, the size will be around 500mb and say I take the backup again after 2 days the size would increase to 600-700mb and the whole 600-700mb's of data is reuploaded and not just the 100-200mb additional or new files.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
I am concerned about the size and bandwidth both. That 25 mb was uploaded from a new phone with WA installed for the first time. In my phone say I take the backup today, the size will be around 500mb and say I take the backup again after 2 days the size would increase to 600-700mb and the whole 600-700mb's of data is reuploaded and not just the 100-200mb additional or new files.

Yes.. Like i said earlier, it doesn't upload individual media files but a bundle of them !! Also, there's a reason whatsapp warns you to use wifi to sync!!

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Yes.. Like i said earlier, it doesn't upload individual media files but a bundle of them !! Also, there's a reason whatsapp warns you to use wifi to sync!!

Thanks. To conclude it deletes/overwrites the older bundle and replaces it with a new one. What a waste of bandwidth.

Sir an out of context question, We tried to install WA+ in a S7(non-edge) phone but we are getting an error, The package conflicts with an existing package by the same name. Since there is no way to uninstall the preinstalled WA, we disabled it but still the same error is there. There are people who have WA+ in their phones without rooting or deleting the preinstalled version. How to bypass this error?

Last edited:

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Thanks. To conclude it deletes/overwrites the older bundle and replaces it with a new one. What a waste of bandwidth.

Sir an out of context question, We tried to install WA+ in a S7(non-edge) phone but we are getting an error, The package conflicts with an existing package by the same name. Since there is no way to uninstall the preinstalled WA, we disabled it but still the same error is there. There are people who have WA+ in their phones without rooting or deleting the preinstalled version. How to bypass this error?

There are many versions of WA+ out there. One of them is GB Whatsapp. It is that one, which allows you two have two whatsapp at the same time. Other's don't allow it.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
GBWA and WA+ both gave the same error my dear. Any way out?

You tried normal GB Whatsapp, there's another one called, Dual GB Whatsapp. You can identify them by their package name. If they have the package name, "com.whatsapp" then you will get conflict. Dual GB Whatsapp have the name "com.gbwhatsapp"

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
You tried normal GB Whatsapp, there's another one called, Dual GB Whatsapp. You can identify them by their package name. If they have the package name, "com.whatsapp" then you will get conflict. Dual GB Whatsapp have the name "com.gbwhatsapp"
Actually I don't want the dual thing. I just want some modded stuff the requirement of which is fulfilled by WA+ or GBWA. Anyway to bypass this error? How to change the name of the package?

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Actually I don't want the dual thing. I just want some modded stuff the requirement of which is fulfilled by WA+ or GBWA. Anyway to bypass this error? How to change the name of the package?

Okay, in that case, you HAVE TO un-install original whatsapp app to install the modded one. If you are afraid of losing your messages, you can take a backup of them which will be restored in modded ones.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Okay, in that case, you HAVE TO un-install original whatsapp app to install the modded one. If you are afraid of losing your messages, you can take a backup of them which will be restored in modded ones.

My dear in the new phones specially Samsung's you cannot uninstall the preinstalled softwares without root. I don't want to root yet as it will ruin the warranty. I installed WA+ in one of the phones without any issues and then the owner told me remove it. Now I am getting the same error if I try to install WA+ or GBWA in that phone too.

Top Bottom