Whats Happ?I delete files but no increase in free space?HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huzefa

Journeyman
I delete files but there is no increase in free space in my HDD
Dont tell me to delete files from recycle bin, been there done that . The files I delete do not appear in the recycle bin . Where else can this free space be going ? anyone knows ! but when I delete files from Internet explorer, ie the temp directory, I had 100 Mb of files that free space showed up . I have deleted 3 files of 440 Mb, 214 Mb , and 220 Mb , but none of the space occupied by these files is given back ! So whats happ ? Please help

Huzefa.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
If you are using Windows XP and your System Restore option is ON then windows keeps a copy of all deleted or uninstalled files in [Drive]:\System Volume Information\*.*

To free up space you may want to first disable System Restore and then clean up this directory..

You can disable system restore by right clicking on Recycle Bin and disabling some option there , i dont remember

spyder

Broken In
get some free space

If using win XP go to start->all programs->accessories->system tools->disk cleanup. If you have more than 1 partition , it will ask u 2 select drive. Select one on which windows is installed.Then click on more options tab.
The option under system restore will ask u if you want to delete old system restore points.THIS CAN CLEAR 2-3 GBs AT TIMES. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Charley

Just Do It
use a software called ccleaner or cleaner which will scan ur disk, clean up the dirt and ultimately free up the space.

OP
H

Huzefa

Journeyman
Thanks for the replies,

"If you are using Windows XP and your System Restore option is ON then windows keeps a copy of all deleted or uninstalled files in [Drive]:\System Volume Information\*.*" GNURag , cannot find this directory on my C: drive, and system restore is ON.

The main thing is after I delete any file on the C: or D: drives they do not appear in the recycle bin, the space occupied by them is not freed and I just do not know where to recover this particular space from Any other Ideas ?

busyanuj

In the zone
Huzefa, do you have any Norton protection for your recycle bin (a small utility that comes with the professional version of Norton Antivirus) or any similar software guarding your recycle bin. If so, then right click on it and select "empty all norton protected files" or a similar option.

so, in this regard, information about your OS and other softwares installed....such as NAV.... will be helpful.

moreover, do one more thing, right click on the My Computer icon and go to its properties. Click on the System Restore tab and select any partition and reduce the space that System Restore occupies on that volume (bring it down to around 200 MB for each partition).

q3_abhi

Youngling
Huzefa said:
Thanks for the replies,

"If you are using Windows XP and your System Restore option is ON then windows keeps a copy of all deleted or uninstalled files in [Drive]:\System Volume Information\*.*" GNURag , cannot find this directory on my C: drive, and system restore is ON.

Its a hidden directory.

But this happens sometimes with my harddisk also. But restarting the machine solved my problem.

OP
H

Huzefa

Journeyman
busyanuj, no Norton protection for my recycle bin.

I have restarted my computer, but I still cant recover that free space. I think this started after installing Google desktop search, maybe because of this the free space does not show up ?

Anyone else have this problem ?

q3_abhi, how do u view this directory ?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Huzefa said:
Anyone else have this problem ?
q3_abhi, how do u view this directory ?
This directory is not only hidden but also a system folder. So Windows will not allow you to modify a single byte inside it. If you view that folder through mounted partition on Linux then you'll realize that it contaions GBs of data just wasting out precious space. Delete it right away..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom