Wanted: Mainstream laptop around 37k

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Go with this laptop instead as it is worth the money:Acer Aspire Core i5 7th Gen - (4 GB/1 TB HDD/Linux) E5-575 Notebook Rs.37500 Price in India - Buy Acer Aspire Core i5 7th Gen - (4 GB/1 TB HDD/Linux) E5-575 Notebook Black Online - Acer : Flipkart.com
:facepalm:
OP selected one with 940MX. This one does't have dGPU!

mitraark

Decrepit
This is my personal opinion. I've bought the Asus and Acer models for my friends last year. The built quality of the laptop isn't very assuring. The keyboard area in the ASUS is flimsy,it presses down inside noticably while typing. The Acer Laptop finish is also not up to the mark, the plastic material is weak, laptop design feels unergonomic and bulky. I feel you should go for brands like HP, very often people don't require the extra computing power, but having a well built laptop is necessary.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which asus & acer model(more specifically their price range)?I also have friends buying asus & acer laptops(~35k each) last year & their build quality is decent.In fact the asus laptop has chiclet keyboard design so I don't see how "keyboard area" can press down while pressing any key which is possible in case of traditional design laptop keyboard.

OP
E|e<tr0|!0n

E|e<tr0|!0n

Broken In
@E|e<tr0|!0n That 940MX Acer seems fine but definitely go for extended warranty & extended ADP warranty also even if you have to pay some 2-3k extra for it.

I'm certainly getting the extended warranty and ADP, along with freebies like mouse, bag, headphones, key & screen guards from my local store.

The build does feel bulky and somewhat weak, but it's hard to find any other model with those specs at that price.
Also it has abundant ports of all types, most which well-built HPs and Dells don't have.
I am going to use it more at college, although the power I need is for personal purposes like gaming.
Do I really have to reconsider for a well-built HP?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be honest,if you follow even the basic precautions of handling laptop then it should be no issue.Build quality matters most when you are running a laptop 18-20 hours a day for weeks/months or handling it roughly in day-today usage.Even opening & closing laptop lid gently helps a lot instead of slamming it open & close like a door.

OP
E|e<tr0|!0n

E|e<tr0|!0n

Broken In
To be honest,if you follow even the basic precautions of handling laptop then it should be no issue.Build quality matters most when you are running a laptop 18-20 hours a day for weeks/months or handling it roughly in day-today usage.Even opening & closing laptop lid gently helps a lot instead of slamming it open & close like a door.

Should I go for the Acer then?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You don't have much choice anyway as it is the only 940MX laptop within your budget.Just get extended ADP & handle it with care even in day-to-day usage.

P.S. Try not to fully close the laptop lid or even close it at all when not using.Install some monitor turn off software if acer doesn't have a key combination to manually turn off screen(asus has it) instead of putting it into sleep mode by closing the lid. You may also turn it off but don't close the lid.Only close the lid while carrying it.It may help with reducing wear & tear associated with laptop lid rotating axis parts.

OP
E|e<tr0|!0n

E|e<tr0|!0n

Broken In
Thanks everyone...
This was the first forum thread I've ever posted in my life.

I couldn't have reached anywhere in my laptop search by myself had it not been your guidance and participation.
I've finally booked the Acer at my local store.

I'm deeply indebted to all repliers(especially @whitestar_999, @bssunilreddy and @SaiyanGoku) for all that priceless info about what really matters when buying a laptop, and I guess this is something I'm going to remember for life.:):emoji_man_dancing::doublethumb:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks everyone...
This was the first forum thread I've ever posted in my life.

I couldn't have reached anywhere in my laptop search by myself had it not been your guidance and participation.
I've finally booked the Acer at my local store.

I'm deeply indebted to all repliers(especially @whitestar_999, @bssunilreddy and @SaiyanGoku) for all that priceless info about what really matters when buying a laptop, and I guess this is something I'm going to remember for life.:):emoji_man_dancing::doublethumb:
Well then, could you post a review with temps on idle and load after you've received it? (Use HWMonitor )

Top Bottom