Want to try new Ryzen for light video editing & grading

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans: Premier, Davinci Resolve, Photoshop

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: Rs.1Lakh(100000)

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Ans: 2TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.

Ans: Yes. Preferably a 27inch 4K with wider colour gamut.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans: NA

8. When are you planning to buy the system?

Ans: Slowly. within 6 months. Parts by parts.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Ans: Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Ans: Bhubaneswar, Odisha

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

initially wanted to go for Imac 27inch 5k - the one with 3.4 ghz i5. however i am fascinated with ryzen's reviews. please note that this build is for personal use and not for professional work. hence i don't want an editing beast. I intend to edit short film files - raw & prores files from blackmagic cinema camera and grade them. All i want is a capable system that can make the editing work smoother. I can compromise on rendering time. I can spend extra for a good 24" or 27" 2k or 4k monitor with good rgb colour coverage.
Basically, the build is for a hobby. I don't to want to spend a fortune for a system that will be an overkill for my usage.

Last edited by a moderator:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
6 Months is a long time to consider for a suggestion. Prices keep changing and newer hardware gets launched. Fixate on a time-frame and then it'll be easier to assemble a config.

OP
gurujee

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
Thanks for replies... guys...

@SaiyanGoku I have decided to build it next month around diwali.

@whitestar_999 any better RGB coverage monitor of 24inch will be ok. budget of 1 lakh includes monitor. however i can spend extra for having a reasonable priced 4k monitor for being future proof.

vivek g delhi

Broken In
Thanks for replies... guys...

@SaiyanGoku I have decided to build it next month around diwali.

@whitestar_999 any better RGB coverage monitor of 24inch will be ok. budget of 1 lakh includes monitor. however i can spend extra for having a reasonable priced 4k monitor for being future proof.
Hello.
Am throwing in broad numbers for your consideration.

A 27inch 4K Factory Color Caliberated LG with 99%RGB coverage costs approx 39k itself. I bought one a month back.

To drive the display at 4k 60hz, the inbuilt graphics on Intel chips is incapable, it drives at 24p that makes mouse movement all choppy. So you will need to invest in a graphics card. Also beneficial since Premiere benefits from CUDA acceleration in Nvidia Chips. 4k video work requires a catd with 6GB VRAM. nVidia 1060 would cost 22k.

RAM is expensive in prices will rise further in coming months due to a global shortage. 16 GB is minimum for video work. 13-15k

PSU- decent one 750w approx should be 7-10k

Cabinet: for for mid tower with good ventilation. Corsair or NZXT approx 7-9 k

SSD: you may restrict to a SSD for now and not go thr NVME route. 256gb approx 7k

We are already crossing a lac and haven't included a CPU and motherboard and HDD yet!

So what I suggest is think how important is 4k right now for your work. If full HD is ok, you may shave off 20k in display and 20 k in graphics and still have an awesome system with good conponents in under a lac

Later on you may wish to look into a pro grade graphics since video editing functions are specifically benefitted by them. And add a second 4k monitor. When doing video work, you can never have enough of screen estate.

Some guidance here as well

Recommended System: Recommended Systems for Adobe Premiere Pro

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

vivek g delhi

Broken In
Just noticed you want a ryzen system. With Ryzen a graphics card becomes mandatory. The multi threaded nature if ryzen appeals to me as well but coffee lake is less than a week away and the i5 chip will offer 6 cores without hyperthreading and has intefrated graphics. Am waiting for that myself but am also wary that it still wont drive my display at 60p

OP
gurujee

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
please forgive my noobness. I won't edit 4k footages but 1080 raw/prores footages. I want 4k display for a neat workspace. I acknowledge 4k @ 60hz requires graphics card to drive which tops the budget unnecessarily. Can you suggest a config under 1 lakh with HD monitor which can be upgraded in future for 4k work.

I had decided my 1 lakh+ budget looking at this suggested config in the forum

• AMD RYZEN R7 1700X 3.4 GHz 30,900
    • Cooler Master Hyper 212X 2,800
    • Asus Prime B350-Plus 8,500
    • G.skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 9,500
    • Sapphire RX470 4GB Nitro+ 17,000
    • Samsung 750 EVO 120GB 4,000
    • Seasonic M12II 620w EVO 7,000
    • Corsair SPEC APLHA 4,000
    • WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD 3,500
    • LG 22MP68VQ-P 22” LED IPS 8,800
    • Logitech Wireless Combo MK220 1,700
    • Mouseincluded in combo 0.00
    • Total
Can I replace R7 1700x with 1700 since I won't overclock (saving 6k + 3k for cooler); Sapphire RX470 with nVidia 1060 (adding 5k); and LG 22MP68VQ-P 22” with Lg 27inch 4k (+30k) with the above config?

May I know your current config with the 4k monitor? Thanks a ton for the enlightening reply.

Hello.
Am throwing in broad numbers for your consideration.

A 27inch 4K Factory Color Caliberated LG with 99%RGB coverage costs approx 39k itself. I bought one a month back.

To drive the display at 4k 60hz, the inbuilt graphics on Intel chips is incapable, it drives at 24p that makes mouse movement all choppy. So you will need to invest in a graphics card. Also beneficial since Premiere benefits from CUDA acceleration in Nvidia Chips. 4k video work requires a catd with 6GB VRAM. nVidia 1060 would cost 22k.

RAM is expensive in prices will rise further in coming months due to a global shortage. 16 GB is minimum for video work. 13-15k

PSU- decent one 750w approx should be 7-10k

Cabinet: for for mid tower with good ventilation. Corsair or NZXT approx 7-9 k

SSD: you may restrict to a SSD for now and not go thr NVME route. 256gb approx 7k

We are already crossing a lac and haven't included a CPU and motherboard and HDD yet!

So what I suggest is think how important is 4k right now for your work. If full HD is ok, you may shave off 20k in display and 20 k in graphics and still have an awesome system with good conponents in under a lac

Later on you may wish to look into a pro grade graphics since video editing functions are specifically benefitted by them. And add a second 4k monitor. When doing video work, you can never have enough of screen estate.

Some guidance here as well

Recommended System: Recommended Systems for Adobe Premiere Pro

sohan_92

In the zone
please forgive my noobness. I won't edit 4k footages but 1080 raw/prores footages. I want 4k display for a neat workspace. I acknowledge 4k @ 60hz requires graphics card to drive which tops the budget unnecessarily. Can you suggest a config under 1 lakh with HD monitor which can be upgraded in future for 4k work.

I had decided my 1 lakh+ budget looking at this suggested config in the forum

• AMD RYZEN R7 1700X 3.4 GHz 30,900
    • Cooler Master Hyper 212X 2,800
    • Asus Prime B350-Plus 8,500
    • G.skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 9,500
    • Sapphire RX470 4GB Nitro+ 17,000
    • Samsung 750 EVO 120GB 4,000
    • Seasonic M12II 620w EVO 7,000
    • Corsair SPEC APLHA 4,000
    • WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD 3,500
    • LG 22MP68VQ-P 22” LED IPS 8,800
    • Logitech Wireless Combo MK220 1,700
    • Mouseincluded in combo 0.00
    • Total
Can I replace R7 1700x with 1700 since I won't overclock (saving 6k + 3k for cooler); Sapphire RX470 with nVidia 1060 (adding 5k); and LG 22MP68VQ-P 22” with Lg 27inch 4k (+30k) with the above config?

May I know your current config with the 4k monitor? Thanks a ton for the enlightening reply.
Could you tell me from you are getting these price quotes?
Especially Memory, Case and Monitor.

vivek g delhi

Broken In
You can go the way of in process of being released 8th Gen intels and save on graphics card costs as well since integrated one can easily drive FHD display. I am eyeing i5 /i7 myself. Its going to be costlier than 7th gen but have 6 cores and more cache.

I suggest that you get 3000Mhz RAM as Ryzen scales with memory speed with 3000 being the inflection point.

I am also building mine and have started a thread for the same. Currently i have a 4K LG, A Jobsbo RM3, TVSE Gold Bharat mechanical and Logitech 602 mouse and a 250 GB Samsubg EvO 750 SSD. The monitor is connected to my i7-5700HQ 16 GB HP laptop. That made me also realize the travails of 4k with integrated graphics. Just like you, i am building my system for Photoshop work primarily and some 4K video footage, Timelapses etc from my D500 and also to act as a Plex Server for my TV.
I have budegted
30 k for CPU+ MB
10 k for PSU
15k for RAM
7k for Graphics
5k for UPS
Will add HDD later. Currently will make do with an external 5 TB.

vivek g delhi

Broken In
You won't find Rx 470 in the market for that price. Plus for your work, even a 1030 would work just fine.
I agree. You need graphics card just for 4k 60Hz display and not for gaming or rendering.
Save that money and invest on RAM and SSD. SSD performance scales well with capacity in 120- 500 GB range.

vivek g delhi

Broken In
@vivek g delhi I hope that is not a seagate 5TB backup plus portable(without a power adapter) because I wouldn't recommend it for prolonged usages like the one you are aiming for.
Hi. Thanks for the flag. Fortunately Its a seagate with a power adapter Expansion plus. Will be switched on based on need only. All data coexists on office desktops 4TB internal. Workig data will reside on SSD. Will add two HGST/ WD Red Internal 6TB at a later date to the cabinet for streaming purposes which is a secondary use. Currently already a streaming machine exists in my home LAN.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my experience it is better to run anything over 2TB(whether external or internal hdd) in a cool AC room(or at least a well cooled room) as far as possible.An external hdd with power adapter is just a 3.5" internal hdd running in a closed enclosure with not much ventilation & that's why I don't like them.Portable hdd without power adapter are 2.5" internal hdd in closed enclosures but they generate less heat than 3.5" internal hdd but these 5TB 2.5" hdd actually generate almost as much heat as a 3.5" hdd.

vivek g delhi

Broken In
In my experience it is better to run anything over 2TB(whether external or internal hdd) in a cool AC room(or at least a well cooled room) as far as possible.An external hdd with power adapter is just a 3.5" internal hdd running in a closed enclosure with not much ventilation & that's why I don't like them.Portable hdd without power adapter are 2.5" internal hdd in closed enclosures but they generate less heat than 3.5" internal hdd but these 5TB 2.5" hdd actually generate almost as much heat as a 3.5" hdd.
Thanks for the insight. My cabinet has a bottom mounted fan that will push air directly on to the mounted 3.5 inch HDD so that should help with temperatures some. External HDD gets switched on for like 35-40 mins in a day. Office desktop is always in AC environs so should be OK i guess. Best to have backups which I religiously do.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes,backups are the most important thing.Online backup is also a good option if you have the money & a good UL net connection(preferably 25mbps+).MS One Drive is giving 5TB/year(1TB/account,5 accounts,15gb max file size) for around 4600 while Amazon Cloud is ~4000 for 1TB/year & google drive is 6500 for 1TB/year.

vivek g delhi

Broken In
Yes,backups are the most important thing.Online backup is also a good option if you have the money & a good UL net connection(preferably 25mbps+).MS One Drive is giving 5TB/year(1TB/account,5 accounts,15gb max file size) for around 4600 while Amazon Cloud is ~4000 for 1TB/year & google drive is 6500 for 1TB/year.
I have an Academic Onedrive account. 4k for 4 yrs witj 1 TB storage. My primary cloud backup

Top Bottom