USB HUB 2.0 7 PORT TROUBLE?

Hello,

to all of you.

I have a 4 TB External Power HDD, actually some days ago, I bought a USB 2.0 7 port hub from Ebay, its from some technotech brand, when I connect my this HDD into the HUB its transfers speed of the data is very slow, but when I connect it directly to the Laptop, it gives much better data speed, although nothing is attached to the HUB except this HDD? What could be the problem? Please advice.Thank You.

Regards,

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

OP
G

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

In the zone
Hub is USB 2.0, your drive is USB 3.0. Don't plug your drive to that hub.

Hey,

Thanks for this quick reply, actually the 4 TB hdd is backward compatible to USB 2.0, and also my Laptop has USB 2.0 ports, I just copied some files of size around 120 MB to HDD firstly through HUB it took 120 seconds for copying then I connect HDD directly to the Laptop it just took some seconds even I can't count to copy.Now, I am confused what to do, actually, I wanted to extend the USB ports on my Laptop, Should I go for some other HUB, if yes then please reply which one.Thank You.

Regards,

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Hey,

Thanks for this quick reply, actually the 4 TB hdd is backward compatible to USB 2.0, and also my Laptop has USB 2.0 ports, I just copied some files of size around 120 MB to HDD firstly through HUB it took 120 seconds for copying then I connect HDD directly to the Laptop it just took some seconds even I can't count to copy.Now, I am confused what to do, actually, I wanted to extend the USB ports on my Laptop, Should I go for some other HUB, if yes then please reply which one.Thank You.

Regards,

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

Compatibility isn't the issue here. USB 2.0 is capped at 480 Mbit/sec ( 60 MB/sec) but gets further limited due to various reasons. That hub is most probably operating at USB 1.1 speeds (12 Mbit/sec). USB 3.0 offers 5 Gbit/sec speed (also gets limited by the hardware).

If you want to expand USB ports, buy an externally powered USB 3.0 or higher hub like from Belkin or other reputed manufacturer. Current hub is useful for mouse and keyboard only.

OP
G

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

In the zone
Compatibility isn't the issue here. USB 2.0 is capped at 480 Mbit/sec ( 60 MB/sec) but gets further limited due to various reasons. That hub is most probably operating at USB 1.1 speeds (12 Mbit/sec). USB 3.0 offers 5 Gbit/sec speed (also gets limited by the hardware).

If you want to expand USB ports, buy an externally powered USB 3.0 or higher hub like from Belkin or other reputed manufacturer. Current hub is useful for mouse and keyboard only.

Hello,

Again thanks for this reply, I just want to know that the current USB Hub also has a power outlet where I can connect external adapter, if I connect external power supply to it, Will that increase its speed or not?

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Hello,

Again thanks for this reply, I just want to know that the current USB Hub also has a power outlet where I can connect external adapter, if I connect external power supply to it, Will that increase its speed or not?

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK
It won't. You need a USB 3.0 hub. External adapter is useful if you'll be using all the 7 ports and one port on laptop can't supply enough current.

quicky008

Technomancer
those 7 port hubs are basically worthless-they are so poorly designed that they fail to provide decent transfer speeds.I too have the same 7 port usb hub from technotech lying around with me uselessly as its just too slow to be of any use to me.i dont think connecting an external power adapter to it will cause any improvement to its transfer speeds,so you'd be better off ditching it altogether and buying a 2/4 port hub from a reliable brand like iball/belkin etc or using the USB ports that are built into your motherboard instead.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always buy externally powered(meaning those with AC adapter) usb 3.0 hub from manufacturers like Belkin(even stay away from iball) if you are planning on connecting external HDD to usb hub.A poor quality usb hub may even cause data loss so it is better not to take any chances.

Top Bottom