UPS problem in low voltage, power fluctuation, PC getting restart..

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
kool

kool

Cyborg Agent
Thnx everybody...
Thanx to all forum members who helped me.. :) I received my Corsair PSU finally, and i tried all the way giving Uninterrupted Power by switching off main power, main fuse, inverter etc. And guess what.. PC didn't restart. yo yo yo yo....... :) :0 :) I'm so happy. You guys are so intelligent & experienced. A very big thanks to Sujoy, avichandana, westom, pimpom, megamind, tenida, tkin

U guys are so great.............

*school.discoveryeducation.com/clipart/images/thanks.gif

OP
kool

kool

Cyborg Agent
Good to know... :)

Nw there is other problem has started. in low voltage <180v it starts beeping, and above 230< also. :( when i use stabilizer with it, it works good, but sudden high & low voltage makes UPS+PC shut down with continuous beeeeeep.

any solution for this? :x:x

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Nw there is other problem has started. in low voltage <180v it starts beeping, and above 230< also. :( when i use stabilizer with it, it works good, but sudden high & low voltage makes UPS+PC shut down with continuous beeeeeep.

This may help...
Check ur apc UPS manual and set the mode to single beep...

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Thnx everybody...
Thanx to all forum members who helped me.. :) I received my Corsair PSU finally, and i tried all the way giving Uninterrupted Power by switching off main power, main fuse, inverter etc. And guess what.. PC didn't restart. yo yo yo yo....... :) :0 :) I'm so happy. You guys are so intelligent & experienced. A very big thanks to Sujoy, avichandana, westom, pimpom, megamind, tenida, tkin

U guys are so great.............
*school.discoveryeducation.com/clipart/images/thanks.gif

Anytime bro :) btw my name is Sujay not Sujoy!! :duh2:

Well UPS always beeps when it recieves voltage out of input range, here 160-280 (as quoted by APC), switching to battery mode. And when low voltage/high voltage continues for long time, UPS runs consistently on battery/switches constantly. So after a point when it cant take load, system shut downs. Stabilizer just does the work of providing input voltage in the required range by UPS.
See this for further info.

*i187.photobucket.com/albums/x276/sujaykirti/ups1.jpg

bud--

Right off the assembly line
The best information on surges and surge protection I have seen is at:
*www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lhm/IEEE_Guide.pdf
- How to protect your house and its contents from lightning: IEEE guide for surge protection of equipment connected to AC power and communication circuits published by the IEEE in 2005 .
And also:
*www.nist.gov/public_affairs/practiceguides/surgesfnl.pdf
- NIST recommended practice guide: Surges Happen!: how to protect the appliances in your home published by the US National Institute of Standards and Technology in 2001

The IEEE guide is aimed at those with some technical background. The NIST guide is aimed at the general public

This and question five were answered previously. For example, let's assume a 6000 volt surge approaches the computer and protector on the black hot wire. The adjacent protector simply connects that surge to all other wires. For example, 6000 volts on the black wire. 5,500 volts on the white and green wire. Now those 5,500 volts are connected directly to the motherboard. Completely bypass protection inside the PSU.

Not hardly.

Competently designed plug-in protectors have voltage limiting elements from H-N, H-G, N-G.
The black wire supplies the surge to the computer. The white and green wire 'sink' the surge. The voltage at the protector is something like 2,000V with respect to the ground at the power service. This is covered by "ground potential rise" starting page 30 of the IEEE surge guide.

A computer may have a voltage limiter H-N. That would put the voltage at the computer at about 3,000V with respect to the ground at the power service.

Starting page 30 also explains how plug-in protectors work. They work primarily by limiting the voltage on all wires (power and signal) to the ground at the protector. The voltage between the wires going to the protected equipment is safe for the protected equipment.

We saw ‘adjacent protector’ damage when a few power strip protectors earthed a surge through a network of powered off computers. We literally traced that surge by replacing each damaged semiconductor. Restored all computers. Surge found earth ground via two computers. Into a third computer. And out to earth destructively via that third computer's modem and telephone line. Protectors bypassed protection inside those computer’s PSUs.

Any competent manufacturer will tell you the plug in protectors were wired incorrectly. So do the IEEE and NIST surge guides.

All interconnected equipment needs to be connected to the same plug-in protector. External connections, like phone and cable, also need to go through the protector. Connecting all wiring through the protector prevents damaging voltages between power and signal wires.

The NIST surge guide suggests most equipment damage is from high voltage between power and phone/cable/... wires.

Once inside, a surge will increase voltage as necessary to blow through anything that might stop it. IOW a surge permitted inside the building will increase voltage as necessary to overwhelm superior protection already inside appliances. Generally, that means a surge finds other paths rather than blow through better protection inside a PSU.

The voltage inside a building is limited by arc-over at the service. In the US arc-over from service busbars to the enclosure occurs at about 6,000V. After the arc is established the voltage is hundreds of volts. (Since the enclosure is connected to the earthing system this dumps most of the surge energy to earth.)

Protectors do not work by "stopping".

Computers do not have "better protection" than plug-in protectors.

Contrary to westom's opinion, both the IEEE and NIST surge guides say plug-in protectors are effective. UPSs likely have the same protection as plug-in protectors, but higher ratings are more readily available in plug-in protectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom