UNALLOCATED PARTITION

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spykids_666

i HAVE A 200 GB HDD. WITH INTEL P4 2.8GHZ PROCESSER.
THE PARTITIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
10 GB(PRIMARY) C:
30 GB D:
50 GB E:
50 GB F:
50 GB G:

I USE WINDOWS XP. WHEN EVER I FROMAT THE C: AND INSTALL THE WINDOWS XP AGAIN. WHILE INSTALLING, THE AREA IN WHICH THE SETUP ASKS THE DRIVE IN WHICH THE INSTALLATION IS TO BE MADE SHOWS 50 GB AS UNALLOCATED.

IF I CONTINUE THE SETUP INSTALLS THE XP SUCCESSFULLY AND THEN THE COMPUTER SHOWS THE 50 GB ( G : ) AS UNALLOCATED.

I TRIED TO RE CREATE THE PARTITION FROM THE DISK MANAGEMENT. BUT THE SAME THING HAPPENS WHEN I RE INSTALL THE OS.

PLEASE HELP ME :(
[/b]

OP
G

try some partition manager software like partition magic .. in xp ther is also diskpart utility .. go to dos prompt and type diskpart

anusoni

Broken In
hmmm peculiar ! are all your partitions formatted ? if not format all your partitions first, also how did u partition them ? if u don't have any data, i recommened repartitioning everything if formatting dosen't solve the problem.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Well .. Are you trying to format it as Fat32 ..? Then you cant format it beyond 32 Gb .. You'll have to format it as NTFS ...

anusoni

Broken In
it_waaznt_me said:
Well .. Are you trying to format it as Fat32 ..? Then you cant format it beyond 32 Gb .. You'll have to format it as NTFS ...

hey u mean u can't format a fat32 partition beyond 32 GB ? if that is what u mean than i can tell u its not practically true, i have a 60 GB FAT32 Partition(with loads of data i might add) on mine which stays that way no matter how many times i re-install XP , BTW its not Good practice but since i dual boot in linux which does not recognize NTFS but can recognize FAT32 for reading, i have to keep it FAT32 !

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Dude .. I meant you cant create drives beyond 32 GB during the install time ..
Open your eyes

Hmmm... tricky one ..

anusoni

Broken In
hmmm eyes opened, a stupid limitation but a limitation none the less. Oh well i use partition magic 8 for all partioning stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom