Unable to boot from Ubuntu Bootbale USB; Kali login stuck in.

Discussion in 'Open Source' started by pranav.seth, Apr 10, 2017.

1. pranav.seth

pranav.seth New Member

I own an ASUS GL552VW. I wanted to learn how to work in hadoop which requires Linux to be installed on. I used rufus to create a Ubuntu 16.10 64 bit bootable pendrive. However when I boot from the disk and select install Ubuntu or try ubuntu, it gets stuck at the loading screen. I then tried installing Kali to work on it. After installing grub bootloader, I enter my login details and the screen gets frozen. Any help? I have spent 2 days trying to get it working. ASUS support sent an email saying that dual boot is not supported. How is that even possible?

Edit: I also enabled CSM in boot and I tried but to no avail.

2. Desmond David

Desmond David Destroy Erase Improve

How old is your laptop?

If its has EFI BIOS, then you first need to disable secure boot before you try to install a third party OS. Also, you should boot into the EFI mode of the bootable drive though I believe that legacy boot should also work.

3. OP
    OP
    pranav.seth

pranav.seth New Member

Its six months old. I think that's what CSM is in my bios. I did select UEFI option while booting.

4. Desmond David

Desmond David Destroy Erase Improve

Hmm. In that case try verifying the hash of your iso. It could have gone bad. Or perhaps even try recreating the bootable USB using a fresh iso.