Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Hi, iam planning to install Ubuntu as my secondary os. Which of the 2 versions is best. Iam going to use it for browsing, watching movies and listening to music.

Neo

12.10 FTW. LTS doesn't matter much. Its for those who do not like upgrading to the latest version every six months, or for maybe developers etc. 12.10 has more features(not to mention Gnome 3.6), more stability, more performance (even if it is a little bit), etc.
The LTS version gets a 5 year support and security fixes while normal desktop versions get support and security fixes for 18 months , but that is no problem, when you can upgrade your system to the latest with two simple commands and boom, you have the latest version of Ubuntu running on your system without the need of any installation, CDs etc.

My personnel suggestion, if you are familiar with Linux and you font want to play games, then install Arch Linux. You will run a lot of things, even during the installation.

Last edited:
OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
12.10 FTW. LTS doesn't matter much. Its for those who do not like upgrading to the latest version every six months, or for maybe developers etc. 12.10 has more features(not to mention Gnome 3.6), more stability, more performance (even if it is a little bit), etc.
The LTS version gets a 5 year support, but that is no problem, when you can upgrade your system to the latest with two simple commands and boom, you have the latest version of Ubuntu running on your system without the need of any installation, CDs etc.

My personnel suggestion, if you are familiar with Linux and you font want to play games, then install Arch Linux. You will run a lot of things, even during the installation.

I have been using ubuntu since 9.04. It's just that reviews on 12.10 have not been too good. I want a stable version for browsing and my other multimedia requirements.

Neo

Well yes, 12.10 is not as good as expected but IMO, 12.10 is the way to go, had as far as your requirements are concerned any good distro would do. 13.04 will be coming in Feb so no worries.

Anish

Spectre
If you dont want trouble, and hate the weird exception thrown by the system, stick with 12.04. Else, if you are like the problem solving type, go for 12.10
Any way, I too recommend Arch.
Caution: If you go the "Arch Way" you wont turn back :D

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Have installed Ubuntu 12.04. It looks buggy. Takes some time to login after I enter the password. Also some time response is slow. Although not sure if it's because iam using internal graphic card for the time being. Anyone has any suggestions?

Top Bottom