The Windows 10 Creators update will launch on April 11th

BhargavJ

In the zone
I've installed the Creators Update. I downloaded the ISO directly from the MS site; it is 3.94 GBs in size. After this, I extracted the ISO and ran the setup from the folder. I chose to keep nothing (no apps or documents) during setup, and it finished an hour later. It was not a fully clean install - C: drive had a windows.old folder which contained the previous installation, and another user folder in C: from the earlier installation remained in place (it was not compressed and sent to the windows.old folder). I don't know how Windows chooses which files to save and keep in the windows.old folder, and which not to. I would call it a clean install only if during the setup, I was given an option to format C: and then install Windows.

Later I installed all the drivers, and then made a backup with EaseUS ToDo Backup. It was only later that it occurred to me that maybe there was no need to install the drivers as they might have been carried forward to the newer installation. I also installed Kaspersky Total Security. :) I was afraid it might say that the license has expired since I had used it for a trial period about two months back, but this installation of Creators Update seems to have removed whatever information Kaspersky had saved, whether in the registry or wherever else, that prevented a reinstall of the trial.

As for the person who isn't getting any speed while downloading the update, I think such problems will be there in the beginning since a lot of people are downloading the update at present. Maybe you should download the ISO from the MS site. If you choose to do so, open the MS site in an Android phone, and select the version and language and then copy the download link and download it using your computer. If you try to directly download it using your browser, the MS site just won't show any links, it will push the Media Creation Tool at you. Or maybe using Internet Explorer will uncover the links; I don't know...

All right, this post has gone on too long, and I'm babbling... :D

Edit: Sandboxie has stopped working!!! :shock: :mad:

Last edited:
OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
@TigerKing and @bssunilreddy, why the hell it is taking ages for the upgrade?
I am on BSNL BBG Combo 1441 Plan(8Mbps till 25GB: FUP).
I had started the procedure onto my 1st Desktop PC at 8:30 a.m. today(12-04-2017),and now on 03:00p.m. sameday(12-04-2017) it is shown to complete for 16% ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pullhair::banghead::confused:
The Windows 10 upgrade appears to hang - Microsoft Community

[FONT=&quot]Two important things to do before you start the update when it becomes available:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A) Create an image backup of your current version of Windows 10. Should the update fail you can restore the image to your disk drive and try again.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]B) Disable any third party Anti-Virus software you may have installed!

*s16.postimg.org/4101fbp5x/screenshot-answers.microsoft.com-2017-04-12-21-5.png*postimage.org/[/FONT]

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
For Enterprise version it was not available. Only 3 option for me, clean install new update, upgrade using windows 10 iso with new update and wait for "Windows Updates". So I waited and successfully installed new update through "Windows Update"..

First I got,
Windows 10 Creators Update Privacy Settings for x64-based Systems (KB4013214)
Then I got this update..
Feature update to Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1703

If Anyone got error "Error 0x80240fff", while preparing to install, after downloading Windows 10 1703 update..
Then, try the following things :

• Right-click on Start then left-click on Run
  • In the run dialog type services.msc then click OK
  • When the Services window opens scroll down the the following three Services:
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Cryptographic Services
Windows Update

On each of the above three services, double-left click to open.
A smaller window will pop up. In the middle of these windows you'll see Startup type: with a drop arrow menu to the right
In all three Services click the drop arrow and choose automatic then click OK.

@TigerKing and @bssunilreddy, why the hell it is taking ages for the upgrade?
I am on BSNL BBG Combo 1441 Plan(8Mbps till 25GB: FUP).
I had started the procedure onto my 1st Desktop PC at 8:30 a.m. today(12-04-2017),and now on 03:00p.m. sameday(12-04-2017) it is shown to complete for 16% ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pullhair::banghead::confused:

Ok. That's weird, I tried with 4 Jio 4G SIMs and it worked for me..

You can disable this serivce.
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
(this eats all available bandwidth)

**Don't forget to set it back to automatic after download completed :)

I wanted the backup in case of windows format :-D

Ok. MiniTool Partition is good for backup.
If possible manually backup all files, folders and all settings from apps. It will be good for selective restore..

Installed a Beta version of Sandboxie, and now it works.

Off topic, but how many of you use Sandboxie?

I don't, I installed 360 Total security, which have "Sandbox" feature. But never used it..

billubakra

Conversation Architect
The Windows 10 upgrade appears to hang - Microsoft Community

[FONT=&quot]Two important things to do before you start the update when it becomes available:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A) Create an image backup of your current version of Windows 10. Should the update fail you can restore the image to your disk drive and try again.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]B) Disable any third party Anti-Virus software you may have installed!

*s16.postimg.org/4101fbp5x/screenshot-answers.microsoft.com-2017-04-12-21-5.png*postimage.org/[/FONT]

Is it necessary to follow all those steps? I am fine with the delay in update rather than following all those steps.
How to create an image backup of the current version? I thought Windows do that automatically before any update.

Last edited by a moderator:

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Thank You @bssunilreddy for the wonderful and elaborate explanation.
I was stuck at 7% for more than 30 mins. hence the frustration!!!!!!!
Now it is updating at ease.

Thank you @TigerKing for the advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Sunil,Thanks again for an eye opener.
It was the K7 Total Security that was the culprit.
I disabled it and now download process is normal.

As for @BhargavJ, I did download a separate iso file from MS site exclusively for my DELL Laptop,which was having Windows-10(64bit) Single Language.
I burned the iso onto a pen drive using rufus tool,and went on with the procedure of clean install for only the partition C:\> (housing Windows 10 previous build of 14393, ver.1607)
On a separate partition I had my other files,apps,tools,etc.

Installation was pretty straightforward with original genuine MS Windows license kept intact and forwarded.
No worry,no hassles,no problems.:thumbs:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Finally found the Tips for downloading ISO

How to download Windows 10 Creators Update ISO files direct from Microsof

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Guys ,what is the problem of updating Windows 10 (Creators u​pdate ) through Media Creation Tool of Microsoft?

Ultimately this has occurred till now :--->

Screenshot_3.png

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Turn off Fast Start-up, if your computer is not shutting down completely. Settings can be found here.

Control Panel> Hardware and Sound> Power Options - "Change what power buttons do"

Windows 10 1703 updated successfully.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I have only 1 Punjabi word for the Creators Update= FUDDU (It's not an abusive word, there was a movie by the same name too)
Windows Defender's GUI sucks. Battery draining way too fast. Lot's of bugs. In the evening the start button stopped working, nothing happened when I clicked on it via mouse and the result was the same when I pressed the start button on the keyboard.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Finally downloaded the ISO using media creation tool...
I hope I can fresh install windows 10 using that iso :)

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Microsoft has dropped official support for Windows 10's original release

Microsoft has now dropped official support for Windows 10's original release, ceasing all security updates for those that do not upgrade to the Anniversary or Creators updates.

This is due to the fact that Windows 10 is built with a "software as a service" model, where regular feature updates are delivered over time, slowly transforming the OS with every iteration.

From now on, older Windows 10 versions will only be serviced for a "60-day grace period" after a major content update is released. Those who are outside of this "grace period" will need to update to the latest version of Windows 10 to receive updates, with the easiest method of updating being the use of the Windows 10 software download web page.

Microsoft has dropped official support for Windows 10's original release | Software | OC3D News

quicky008

Technomancer
has anyone experienced pops and crackles while playing audio/video files after installing the creators update?i find it very annoying and despite trying nearly every fix that have been suggested by others i haven't been able to resolve this issue.

Top Bottom