The Rubik's Cube Thread

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hey guys, are there any members who solves a Rubik's Cube?
I have been cubing from past couple of years and recently started speedsolving.

I think some previous members solved the Rubik's cube, but I cannot recall.

EDIT: Some info about different 3x3 cubes available

There are two types of cubes.
1. Standard
2. DIY (also assembled)

1. Standard ones are funskook, local Chinese ones.
these Chinese ones are surprisingly smoother at first due to a lube pre applied in the factory. Funskool doesn't have any lube, if you handle the cube properly then it will get a little smoother over a few weeks, otherwise it will get very tight and loose interest in cubing. Avoid ₹20 ones, they will break within a week(or few days). Its possible to mod the Funskool ones to make it much smoother, but newbies may destroy the cube if not properly done. Most speed cubers don't prefer these cubes as its difficult to achieve lower times with these.

2. DIY Cubes - you can take apart all parts and assemble it back. one can adjust the tension in these, almost all speedcubers prefer these.
There are many models available at different budgets and colors (transparent included). Most companies which make these compete against each other for the worlds fastest cube title (or at least the record).

I have two Dayan Guhong, Alpha V, Couple of Cube4You, and others. I had one Type F-II which I gave to ico.

if you are starting to learn cubing then I would recommend Type F-II, its fast/smooth and cheap too, if you are serious then Dayan Zhanchi or Guhong V2.

This thread has almost all cubes listed Lightake Official Store--Full Of Surprise!47% OFF!!

Go through this thread also .. it has very good info about different brand cubes(mostly Alpha Cubes).

*www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthr...arification-of-the-Naming-of-the-Alpha-Series

Last edited:

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
I do have a Rubik's Cube. I know there are some sure shot algorithms to find the solution in n ways. But the terminology itself was daunting so left it. Would be glad to learn though.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I do have a Rubik's Cube. I know there are some sure shot algorithms to find the solution in n ways. But the terminology itself was daunting so left it. Would be glad to learn though.

I try very very very hard to solve one, but have never managed to :cry: :mad:

There are different methods of solving a cube right from intuitive, Beginners method, then more advanced methods like F2L (which I use) , block building methods etc.

Why most beginners give up cubing because they tend to solve all six sides of the cube one by one. This is highly difficult and not the best method to start with.

The beginners method also known as the layer by layer method. in this method one solves the cube layer by layer i., first, second and then the last layer.

There are many videos available in youtube for this. One of the most watched video is from "pogobat" but the his explanation is very complicated. I would instead advice to look into "badmephisto" videos. His tutorials are intended for advanced cubers but he does have a excellent beginners method tutorial.

I will give the correct links once i'm at home.. youtube blocked in office :(

That being said. One can learn how to solve the Rubik's cube in less than 2 Days :)

which cube u use 3X3 or 9X9 or 18X18???

I can solve 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4 and a Square-1 :) I only enjoy solving the 3x3x3's

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Actually the first two layers does not need algorithms .. last layer only requires about 3.

sygeek

Technomancer
You just initiated the spark, I will starting cubing again for this summer.
I can solve a whole Rubik Cube. I guess I was just 9 when I first solved it. Although I left it for now. My fastest time was 39.6 seconds.
I can only solve a 3x3x3. Where can I get a 2x2x2/4x4x4?

I used the Jessica Fridrich method. Which one did you use? Any new methods invented during the timeline of my Rubik Cube's ignorance?

Last edited:
OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Where can I get a 2x2x2/4x4x4?

I order it online using this site : Lightake.com. They accept only Paypal and they ship the products for free. But the delivery can take anywhere from 3-4 weeks. you can buy LanLan's 2x2 and 4x4 those very good quality cubes.

I used the Jessica Fridrich method. Which one did you use? Any new methods invented during the timeline of my Rubik Cube's ignorance?

Even I use Jessica Fridrich method but now a days they just call it F2L (First Two Layers). Its the method used by most speedsolvers. There are other methods as well but not as popular as F2L. you can check those in speedsolving wiki

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@Charan: which r good quality cubes???
I bought from street @20rs but they r crapy waste...

You can try funschool brand. those cost Rs. 275. They are still crappy compared to other DIY Cubes.

Here is the list of top cubes.

Dayan Guhong - price varies from $12-$19 online. This is the one which I have it cost me $14 and I guess the best in the world
Sheng En - Type F-II - about $8
Alpha V (Five) - $11-$12
Cube4You DIY range. $9 and up.

I think the best cube for beginers would be the Cube4You DIY's are they have pretty sturdy build quality.

Please note that these cubes are only available online. There hardly any DIY cubes available in india. I think there is one guy in mumbai who sells these cubes. let me know if you want his contact.

Robot Ruby breaks Rubik's record - Swinburne Media Centre

Nope it broke the fastest time be a robot, not a WR solve.. its still 6.24 held by Feliks Zemdegs. So still the hoomans win here :D

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^wont I get the good quality cubes in Mumbai???
The best cubes you get in stores are the funschool brand. not sure about DIY's.

Just check in a few stores. tomorrow ill check if there are any guys who sell imported cubes in Mumbai.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Any good cubes here ? ->Rubik's Cube | eBay

This one looks cool ->White 3x3 Speedcubing Guojia Alpha Rubiks Cube Type A I | eBay

sygeek

Technomancer
I got a FunSkool Rubik's Cube..they are decent enough (just decent) although better than other cheap Rubiks Cube available in the market..

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
just look at the design just plain smooth...loved it...

Dayan Guhong 3x3x3 DIYKIT - Black [DY216] - $8.99 : Cube4you, - Online Cube Store -- Ship to worldwide!

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Any good cubes here ? ->Rubik's Cube | eBay
Ill look into it.. but the list I have given above is for the top cubes. you can search by their names.
This one looks cool ->White 3x3 Speedcubing Guojia Alpha Rubiks Cube Type A I | eBay
Alpha Cubes are one of the best in the market. the links you provided i for the new version of Type A Cubes. I haven't used any Type A cubes till now so cannot comment on that.

Please note that there have been reports the there are some fake cubes in eBay. Especially the low priced ones.

I got a FunSkool Rubik's Cube..they are decent enough (just decent) although better than other cheap Rubiks Cube available in the market..

Yes .. you need to lubricate it with Silicone Spray to make it super smooth. Lubricating the cube is a topic on its own.

WARNING: DO NOT USE WD-40 IN THE CUBES FOR LUBRICATION. IT WILL RUIN THE CUBE.

just look at the design just plain smooth...loved it...

Dayan Guhong 3x3x3 DIYKIT - Black [DY216] - $8.99 : Cube4you, - Online Cube Store -- Ship to worldwide!

Yep Guhong is the one I have but I have the sticker less version :D

Ok will give out youtube tutorials links today.

By the way if you guys are seriously considering cubing then take a look at SpeedSolving and their Wiki

sygeek

Technomancer
Yes .. you need to lubricate it with Silicone Spray to make it super smooth. Lubricating the cube is a topic on its own.
I'll try that on the Cube lying around..It is pain in the arse trying to move the LSide with the pinky finger. Also, I need to check if I still can solve a Rubik Cube (if I still remember the algorithms), haven't held it for months.
Edit: Just noticed, the blue side it is missing a sticker on the block. Meh, I'm buying a new one.

@Charan: I'm just curious, what is your best time?

Last edited:
Top Bottom