the Open Source hardware thread

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
No Mr.Kickass I didn't forget the discussions. But it's just the thing that after returning from office I don't get much time :p

But now I'm determined, I'll do something. Thanks a lot again for all your help :)

Nah...its alright. I'm surprised that you can even save time for visiting this thread :D I know you'll catch up pretty quickly

This was one of the channels I'd use to browse frequently as a refresher for basics. Just watch one video and see if it helps.

Electronics 101

Electronics 201

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Thanks a lot :) I'll surely go through those series and the ones posted above on this holiday :D

Any specific site you would like to recommend for learning electronics basics? Though I'm doing that by googling around, managed to learn how breadboard is designed internally, which helped me understand how can I connect components and all. Need to know more and more :D

Came to know basic things of basic components like Resistors, Capacitors, Diode and all :p

You see, I'm still struggling on basic electronics as I'm not from that background :(

Haha thats nice excuse..:-D ...If you have the interest..you can learn..as simple as that....Its like saying i cant do Linux as i am from ...lol

Thanks ico for answers

3.@Kickass

Is that intel galileo a x86 microcontroller or microprocessor?Can it run a OS?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Haha thats nice excuse..:-D ...If you have the interest..you can learn..as simple as that....Its like saying i cant do Linux as i am from ...lol

It's not a excuse..!! Anyway, That's right. I agree. If one really have interest, he/she will ofcourse learn, it may take time according to his/her ability or intelligence, but eventually he/she will make it :)

Till now, I did everything what I know today by following the same theory :p

Members of #krow knows that :p Specially ico and LFC_Fan :)

Hey guys, gone through the Video #2 posted by Mr. Kickass and others, but I'm unable to understand how the current is flowing, the logic actually.

Ok, so here's what I got.

1. He connects +5V with a wire to one side of switch.
2. And another side of switch is pulled to ground via a resistor. Why? Resistor is used to control the flow of a current, here it's used so that LED doesn't blows off if it get's more voltage. Right? So why it's connected to ground? Which will complete the circuit?
3. Now another line from one side of resistor is connected to Arduino port A, and a LED is connected on Pin 13 and GND respectively.

So what's the flow of a current when switch is pressed and when not pressed? I want to know the logical flow.

I'd be glad if someone can explain with a diagram in paint :p

Ok, I think I got the logic. I'll explain it here, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Current flows from Arduino +5V to Breadboard +5V Rail, which is connected to a end of push button.
2. Now if the button is not pressed, everything stops here. But if the button is pressed, the circuit begins, i.e. the flow begins to the other end of the switch.
3. Now the other end is connected to the GND via a resistor, which ensures, if more current comes in, it'll be grounded :)
4. Proper current pass through the circuit to the PIN A of Arduino, where a LED is connected to PIN 13 and GND, and the current flows internally within Arduino circuit.

Am I right?

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
which video u talk about ?
anyways, even though a battery is often shown with + and - polarities, mostly - is taken as ground. i.e. neutral.

mostly the circuits are build with +ve and gnd terminals, where current flows from + to gnd. but sometimes -ve polarities are required and in this case current flows from gnd to -ve.

if u see any power source, dont try to connect its terminals directly, cause this will result in maximum current flow- i.e. overload / short. because the heat generation is proportional to square(current flow) burnout/ explosion will occur.

so, even when working with a small pencil battery, try to make the circuit at least of 100 ohms on per cell basis. this will result in
1.5/100 = 15mA current, that is a power dissipation capability of 0.015x1.5 = 22.5 mW which is quite safe for short duration.

when u buy resistances at shops, they are available at different watt capabilities, 1/4W, 1/2W, 1W, 2W ...... ->
for most small voltage circuits with good resistance, 1/4W or 1/2W will suffice.

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
which video u talk about ?
anyways, even though a battery is often shown with + and - polarities, mostly - is taken as ground. i.e. neutral.

mostly the circuits are build with +ve and gnd terminals, where current flows from + to gnd. but sometimes -ve polarities are required and in this case current flows from gnd to -ve.

if u see any power source, dont try to connect its terminals directly, cause this will result in maximum current flow- i.e. overload / short. because the heat generation is proportional to square(current flow) burnout/ explosion will occur.

so, even when working with a small pencil battery, try to make the circuit at least of 100 ohms on per cell basis. this will result in
1.5/100 = 15mA current, that is a power dissipation capability of 0.015x1.5 = 22.5 mW which is quite safe for short duration.

when u buy resistances at shops, they are available at different watt capabilities, 1/4W, 1/2W, 1W, 2W ...... ->
for most small voltage circuits with good resistance, 1/4W or 1/2W will suffice.

No, I was not asking about whether electricity flows from +ve => GND or anything. That I googled about then :p

I was asking the flow logic of

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
...it may take time according to his/her ability or intelligence, but eventually he/she will make it :)

Neuroplasticity actually backs the 10,000 hour Rule, so no matter how poorly it may be written and disputed by some reports you WILL eventually make it

Am I right?

Yes and while you're at it you can go through this video but just skim through it, however I'd suggest you take it slow and don't miss any important bits from the preceding videos

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Sure @Mr. Kickass, thanks a lot :)

You and others are helping me from the beginning :)

I'll keep going through the videos that are posted by you and others and also I'm reading the links you provided :)

I'll post again if I get stuck somewhere or face problems understating anything :)

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
I'd be glad if someone can explain with a diagram in paint :p

Apparently, the official Blink tutorial works without a switch so they look something like this

*arduino.cc/en/uploads/Tutorial/ExampleCircuit_sch.png

And the actual circuit is this

*arduino.cc/en/uploads/Tutorial/ExampleCircuit_bb.png

But Jeremy puts a switch in between and you have got it right there. So it now should look something like this

*i.imgur.com/94lQ68Wl.jpg
I made this in a hurry but you can see that the other end of the switch goes to pin 8 of Arduino(but the wire that connects the LED to the ground does NOT connects with this wire. I really couldn't label it as there seems to be some limitation with this software).This is what drives the switchPin and sends an ON and OFF. You already are a programmer so I guess you don't need that.

It goes Arduino>switch>LED.

The LED pin is triggered internally according to the sketch you uploaded

Last edited:

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
BeagleBoard.org collaborates in creation of new Arduino TRE
*beagleboard.org/static/images/tre/IMG_1242_smaller.jpg
*beagleboard.org/static/images/tre/IMG_1244_smaller.jpg

*i.imgur.com/H8g342ql.jpg

quagmire

Allllright !
^:shock: 500$ for Snapdragon 800 Series APQ8074 based kit..

I'd rather buy a Kindle Fire HDX (229$ one) and rip the processor from there.. :lol:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
A wire lead got broken and stuck in to GND Port of Arduino :(

Tried to take it out with a needle, but it's not working. Do you think if I put faviquick on a end of a wire and keep it there for sometime and then pull it out it'll work?

Though it's not a big problem, as I can put other wires there, but with little difficulty, not as smooth as other ports. :(

Tried googling, and saw that it's a common problem.

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
u can try simple easy ways, if it doesn't come out, i guess u will have to live with that.

optionally, go to some electronic parts store and buy single strip female berg header, and ask a local radio / tv repair shop to gently replace the board berg header with it.

*www.electroncomponents.com/image/cache/data/misc/connector/EC_female_breakout-500x500.jpg

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
u can try simple easy ways, if it doesn't come out, i guess u will have to live with that.

optionally, go to some electronic parts store and buy single strip female berg header, and ask a local radio / tv repair shop to gently replace the board berg header with it.

*www.electroncomponents.com/image/cache/data/misc/connector/EC_female_breakout-500x500.jpg

Thanks. Yeah I'm living with it for now :p

Later if required dad can do that for me :p

There's no need of local Electronics shop for these things in my home :p Almost 80% of my family members is into electronics (electrical actually) :p Only two of my uncle is into electronics (digital).

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
Then Y U No like 80% of your family

For once, I thought you were going to troll that you actually know more electronics than you claim you know :D

Top Bottom