The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

Hit F11, click on the desktop, hit 'Command + J' and uncheck 'Snap to grid' and 'Keep arranged by'.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

they aint selected already

also after every install the dmg file gets deleted is there asny way i can avoid it ...

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Well, I am not facing any problem with the desktop. My files are cluttered all over it and they never move (although it has been more than a month since I last shut down my Mac, they never move whenever I do shut down).

You are using Safari. Hit 'Command + ,' and uncheck the option 'Open "safe" files after downloading'. Now Safari won't do anything to your disk images after downloading them, so you will have to open them manually each time.

BTW, the disk images that Safari deletes are the ones which have the application contained within. You really do not need the DMG file once you've copied the application onto your hard drive. Safari does not delete the DMG's that contain installers. :)

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

aryayush said:
And what is Final Cut Pro like? I mean, of course it is a mind blowing application because almost the whole of Hollywood uses it and it is made by Apple. But the interface looks a bit daunting to me. What do you do for a living? Is FCP involved?
Final Cut Pro is very easy to use, at least it is for me. But it is definitely not targeted at beginners. For those, Apple provides iMovie with every new mac -- it's a really great program to begin with. iLife apps like iMovie and GarageBand are very powerful softwares. Just sit down with any of the iLife softwares and you'll know what I mean.

I used to use Avid but I find FCP to be more easy-to-use. I usually use FCP for my own purposes (home videos, etc.), but there are some official works too. Actually, FCP is one of the major reasons why I bought my Mac Pro.

My main work is Photoshopping, and using FCP is also part of my job.

I'm considering to get the full Final Cut Studio. Let me see if my boss agrees or not. I think he will, especially because of the decrease in price. I just hope that Apple soundtrack Pro is not too different from GarageBand, for I am just habituated to GarageBand's interface. I am also very impressed with this app called Color. It's a professional color grading and finishing app that ensures consistent color and creates signature looks (which, of course, can be acheived with ease).

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

arya the icons on the desktop are still alinging themselves vertical (onluy the drives) no matter how i put them they arrange themslvs vertically :?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

This is a problem that neither I face nor have I read somewhere else on the many Apple centric forums I visit. Let me check it out again though.

@nepcker
Good info, man! Thanks! I'll check it out. I have such a huge advantage over the students who are learning multimedia editing with me at Arena Multimedia. When we reach audio/video editing, I'll be able to use FCP along with all the other applications and they won't. It kind of saddens me though.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

Mac users crack the Office 2007 code
19th December 2006

Tim Gaden

Since the news broke that Microsoft's Mac Business Unit is not supplying converters for Microsoft Office's new "Open Format" documents, the Mac community has been busy finding its own ways around the problem.

*apcmag.com/4853/four_ways_for_mac_users_to_crack_the_office_2007_docx_lock_out

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

I'll be able to use FCP along with all the other applications and they won't. It kind of saddens me though.

All thanx to El Jobso decision to sale more Macs.

FCP for Mac OS = $500
FCP for Linux = $3000 per node

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

i clicked the + sign a couple of times ... and nowthis what my application folder has become ... it is longer than the screen and no scroll bar ... so much for ur utilization of the desktop ... how do i get it back to normal :?

*img518.imageshack.us/img518/7634/screenshot01vw7.th.jpg

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

There are a lot of silly flaws in the Finder which Mac users have been complaining about and we hope they will finally get fixed with a complete overhaul of the Finder in Leopard... we hope.... :mad:

iMav said:
so much for ur utilization of the desktop
The next time you pass a sour comment about Apple in this thread, at least I will stop answering your questions. If you like it, use it and I'll help you troubleshoot any niggles you run into. If you don't like it, uninstall it. Whatever be the case, stop spoiling this one thread.

As for this problem, close this window and then double click on 'Macintosh HD'. If that does not work (it should), copy a folder onto the desktop, close all Finder windows and then double click that folder. One of the two is bound to end up in a Finder window with the default size. If all else fails (but I am sure that won't happen), launch Activity Monitor and force quit the Finder (unlike Explorer, it will re-spawn immediately).

And stop using crap like Microsoft Messenger. And try learning the Mac way of doing things (like not stretching the Safari window to occupy the whole damn screen).

BTW, which screenshot utility is that? You needed a third party screen capture application? :eek:

And why do you have only five applications running? Have you installed QuickSilver?

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Microsoft messenger & Adium are similar to feature with MS Messenger having an edge, it can transfer files to other MSN users whether Windows or Mac. This is the same reason I am using Yahoo messenger for Mac insted of Adium

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well i restarted removed it from the dock replaced again ten clciked on plus again and it re-sized showing me the lower right corner for re0sizing manually

for screen shots im using snapndrag really nice app allows me to choose the format and whether i want to take a screenshot of the screen or window ... pretty useful

i havnt installed quicksilver .... 1 is safari, msn, itunes (for songs), the tea cup is my sify dialler and dashboard and finder :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

You can take screenshots of the screen, window or selection with the default shortcuts. There really isn't any need for a third party application for the purpose. Anyway, suit yourself. :)

Ad you should really install QuickSilver. It should be the first thing anyone should install on their Mac. The little application is so friggin' fantastic, it should be there by default - on all operating systems. And the most unbelievable thing is that it is free. (In fact, I think the developer is mental. If he had been charging for this, dude would be rolling in money by now. But then again, he is a great person for giving a gem away for free. Gotta respect him for that.)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

i installed it now how to c its true prowess

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

What is quicksilver? I installed it but did not find any use of it for me. What benifit it has?

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

What is quicksilver? I installed it but did not find any use of it for me. What benifit it has?
I thought it was discussed in the beginning of the thread, on the first post itself. A hint for you -- I'll never run a computer again without it.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

that doesn't answeres my question. I have it installed here. just one small app...again what does it do.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner

*www.petefreitag.com/images/blog/quicksilver.jpg

It allows users to use the keyboard to rapidly perform tasks such as launching applications, manipulating files and data, running scripts or sending e-mail.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

hmmm....ok. Dock does the work fine here.

I think I got the problem why my Modem is hanging. If on Mac my airtel modem stays idle, it hangs or stops data flow. I am downloading continuesly from last 2 hrs, means data flow is on & it is working fine.

It's like "disconnect when inactive for n Minutes" where n is a specified time interval. How do I stop this. Network utility doesn't helps & network diagnostic says it only supports Airport or Apple modem or LAN based connection. :mad:

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

try contacting airtel ... dont tell u have a hackintosh say u have normal mac ... see what they say

Top Bottom