The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

hmm...it should be there somewhere in mac :-?

Do one thing, search in spotlight for "Application". Might give the location of that folder.

Check one thing, suppose you installed an application ABC in Application folder, & added a shortcut somewhere. Start that shortcut or write the name of that application in Spotlight to launch. If that application runs this means the application folder is still in Mac just not at the usual place & is hidden. If it doesn't then sorry...nothing can be done. Reinstall Mac.

Seems like Mac is good in it's default state only. Once you start customising it & disecting it, it breaks easily.

PM arya & nepcker & goobi & andy. When else will they come handy :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

ok now this is funny ... i had put vlc in the dock from application folder now when rite click on it and select open in finder it shows me the application folder contents but not he folder as in finder u have desktop, music, documents, pictures blah blah and tht is whr applications hud be thr .. its not thr but the contents are still displayed ... and they mac is easy to use and simple ...

found it its in the root of the directory whre u installed mac .... and from there u can drag it to the dock ...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Mac are easy, just that they are good only until u use them at default settings. Once to start disecting it or mod it seriously, things break & require a complete reinstall. "Repair the OS" will not work cos that only replaces the moded or deleted system files.

There is no concept of Drives in Mac, everything like Unix/linux is a file. Your C:\ drive is also a file, so is d:\ drive so you get the point.

Do not tinker with the root folder. The best bet is not to save anything on the OS drive cos if the OS gets curropt you will loose everything in case of an OS reinstall. Since you are on PC do this

1) Suppose Mac is installed on c:\ drive, Windows on D:\

2) Place all your files on a seperate partition like E:\ drive, like in My case, e:\Music, e:\Movies. E:\Applications, e:\drawing etc. Make this NTFS or FAT32 depending on your requirment.

3) Now open finder & move the location of Mac Music folder to e:\music. Mac movies folder to E:\Movies. Right click on them & the option to change should be there in properties. If not then search on google.....there has to be an app. This is why i said to use Cocktail.

I just checked, there is no way to play WMA in MacOS. Why can't itunes play wma when quicktime playes it fine using Flip4Mac. They both use the same audio engine of Quicktime. Right now using VLC player to play these

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

u mean to say change default directory for movies and songs?

but my ntfs is not writtable so cannot do tht

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

1) Install Macfuse from here. Download the VERSION 3.0 DMG

2) Install the NTFS-3G driver DMG. Again the latest cos it solves some performance issues

Follow the full tutorial here. Uninstall your existing installation, then reboot & reinstall. This is the most comprihensive tutorial for NTFS read/write

You can change the default directory of Music & Movies without needing any writing capabilities to NTFS drivers, All you require is that iTunes & Quicktime "Reads" your drives

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

iMav said:
how do i hide file extensions ... .jar and others are visible
There is no way to do it AFAIK. Never bothered with it.

iMav said:
and this is why mac's not good ... i dragged my applications folder from finder to the dock ... and guess wht its deleted ... how do i bring it back
The items in the Finder sidebar and the Dock are virtual aliases. They are removed by dragging them out. When you drag a virtual shortcut out of its place, a small graphic (for the 'poof' effect) appears next to the mouse. This is an indication that if you leave the object at the place, it will disappear. To restore it just drag it back into its place.
The Applications folder is right there in the root drive, just like the Program Files folder on Windows. I am utterly shocked that both of you had trouble finding a simple folder that is right there in the main drive itself. Whoa! The least you could have done was search for it using Spotlight.

gx_saurav said:
To get a deleted thing back, look into trash in dock. open it & drag & drop to where u need it. If it not there then sorry, upgrade to MacOS X leopard cos it has Time machine, macs do not have a backup/system restore application as of yet.
Oh, and Windows has? You can delete something from the recycle bin and then get it back without using any third party software? No, you cannot.

gx_saurav said:
Arya, tell me a proper Music player for Mac other then iTunes. If nothing else works I will just insall Winamp in cross over & use it
Do whatever you want, I couldn't possible care less. iTunes is a proper music player. I use it and like it. If you don't, that's your problem. Go search for an alternative on MacUpdate. There are several others available (though not a lot because developers generally do not bother to make products that compete with applications bundled with Mac OS X because, unlike Windows, it ships with some of the best applications on the Mac platform).

gx_saurav said:
Check one thing, suppose you installed an application ABC in Application folder, & added a shortcut somewhere. Start that shortcut or write the name of that application in Spotlight to launch. If that application runs this means the application folder is still in Mac just not at the usual place & is hidden. If it doesn't then sorry...nothing can be done. Reinstall Mac.
It is extremely surprising that you managed to claim that you have used Macs loads of times when you do not even know where the Applications folder is. There must be some sort of limit to how much a person can lie, I'm sure...

gx_saurav said:
Seems like Mac is good in it's default state only. Once you start customising it & disecting it, it breaks easily.
gx_saurav said:
Mac are easy, just that they are good only until u use them at default settings. Once to start disecting it or mod it seriously, things break & require a complete reinstall. "Repair the OS" will not work cos that only replaces the moded or deleted system files.
It's been more than eight months since I bought it and I have tried almost every sort of application, hack and plug-in out there. Leave alone re-installing, I've yet to see the Kernel Panic screen (which is said to be extremely cool!). Oh, and BTW, Mac OS X generally works best in the default state because Apple designs it in the best way possible. You yourself are saying that is not the case with Windows. I don't know how you manage to make it sound like that's a good thing!

iMav said:
ok now this is funny ... i had put vlc in the dock from application folder now when rite click on it and select open in finder it shows me the application folder contents but not he folder
1. Command + Up. It will take you to the parent folder.
2. Command + Click on the little icon in the title bar of any window and it will reveal the path. This is the little feature that spawned the idea of bread crumb navigation in Vista.
3. If you click on the column view, you'll see the the whole hierarchy. This is the most useful view in Finder and is one of those things that Windows definitely needs.

iMav said:
and they mac is easy to use and simple ...
Users' stupidity is not Apple's fault. I requested in the beginning itself that you should keep your negative comments about Mac OS X to yourself. This is a little place for fans of the OS, like me. :)

gx_saurav said:
Do not tinker with the root folder. The best bet is not to save anything on the OS drive cos if the OS gets curropt you will loose everything in case of an OS reinstall. Since you are on PC do this

1) Suppose Mac is installed on c:\ drive, Windows on D:\

2) Place all your files on a seperate partition like E:\ drive, like in My case, e:\Music, e:\Movies. E:\Applications, e:\drawing etc. Make this NTFS or FAT32 depending on your requirment.

3) Now open finder & move the location of Mac Music folder to e:\music. Mac movies folder to E:\Movies. Right click on them & the option to change should be there in properties. If not then search on google.....there has to be an app. This is why i said to use Cocktail.
Do not indulge yourself in all this stupidity. Use some simple common sense.

gx_saurav said:
I just checked, there is no way to play WMA in MacOS. Why can't itunes play wma when quicktime playes it fine using Flip4Mac. They both use the same audio engine of Quicktime. Right now using VLC player to play these
You yourself are saying that you can play it with the help of Flip4Mac and VLC Media Player and that you say that "there is no way to play WMA in MacOS". Are you normal?
BTW, you can use some application like Switch to convert your music from the crappy WMA format into something a little better and iTunes compatible.

gx_saurav, we all know your opinion about Mac OS X. Please keep your sordid thoughts to yourself or post them in other threads. We are not interested in hearing your rants over here. The next post you make criticising Mac OS X will be ignored, at least by me. Consider that a warning in advance. I'm glad to help out with any problem you guys encounter while using Mac OS X, but I have no intention of putting up with posts that lack common sense that you can find even in a dead man's brain! :mad:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Woo wo wo boy, whats going on? Now that we mentioned othe lacks of MacOS X here publically why r u blasting on me? You told us "Try MacSO X for once & then say". Well here we are trying Mac & disecting it.

aryayush said:
I am utterly shocked that both of you had trouble finding a simple folder that is right there in the main drive itself. Whoa! The least you could have done was search for it using Spotlight.
I mentioned him to do the same to find it by writting "Application" in spotlight

Oh, and Windows has? You can delete something from the recycle bin and then get it back without using any third party software? No, you cannot.
Yes we can, ever heard of system restore or Volume shadow copy or Previous version.

(though not a lot because developers generally do not bother to make products that compete with applications bundled with Mac OS X because, unlike Windows, it ships with some of the best applications on the Mac platform).
What the.....what kind of statement is that? Developers do not like to make application for Mac, do not like giving users good or better choice cos there is already a Media Player in Mac :confused:. If this is the developer philosophy then why the hell Winamp, Jet Audio, MusicMatch, Foobar came for Windows?

You mean to say iTunes is a perfect media player? News flast arya, it only plays 2 audio formats out there, the architecture is locked unlike Directshow of Windows or Gstreamer/XINE of Linux in which you can make any Directshow or XINE based codec & any compatible media player will play it.

Even Quicktime plays WMA/WMV with Flip4Mac but iTunes doesn't when Quicktime & Itunes both have the same quicktime engine using Core audio to play audio stream

It is extremely surprising that you managed to claim that you have used Macs loads of times when you do not even know where the Applications folder is. There must be some sort of limit to how much a person can lie, I'm sure...
Umm...did u bothered to read what I said? :D I said, I don't know where application folder is in the sidebar (i refered to it as Quicklaunch folder of WIndows), once it is gone from sidebar I had no idea how to bring it back. Obviously it is in root just like Linux.

It's been more than eight months since I bought it and I have tried almost every sort of application, hack and plug-in out there. Leave alone re-installing,
Now clearly you are lieing, you mean you used system hacks, modified bin's etc & your Mac didn't not crashed even once. That is impossible dude. Even I used all sorts of hacks & shell patches in Vista and it never gave me a BSOD :-"

Oh, and BTW, Mac OS X generally works best in the default state because Apple designs it in the best way possible. You yourself are saying that is not the case with Windows.
News flash again, we are in Windows world. We do not care how Windows is made, we make it or mod it the way we want it. It is our computer & we own it. We do know that using Shell packs etc might result in problem but who cares when we can just boot in safe mode & uninstall :D.

MacOS X works good in default mode, ok..fine, I don't like the default mode...so I m going to make it look or work the way I want it. Is there something wrong in doing this?

If I don't like the black color of my Bike I will buy paint from market & paint it in blue & green, simple. But I do know that if there is a problem or if the looks look weird I can always buy black paint & paint it back to how it was.

2. Command + Click on the little icon in the title bar of any window and it will reveal the path. This is the little feature that spawned the idea of bread crumb navigation in Vista.
Lolz...I just tried this, it is not even remotely close to bread crumb bar

Users' stupidity is not Apple's fault. I requested in the beginning itself that you should keep your negative comments about Mac OS X to yourself. This is a little place for fans of the OS, like me. :)
Tsk tsk :p. So if we ask a Question about Mac it is a crime here :D

Do not indulge yourself in all this stupidity. Use some simple common sense.
Yo, he is not using a Macintosh. He is using a PC which means both NTFS & HFS Partitions. THis also means that if he copies everything to Mac drive, the moment MacOS X malfunctions BOOM all files are gone cos Windows doesn't read this partition (his other dual boot OS)

You yourself are saying that you can play it with the help of Flip4Mac and VLC Media Player and that you say that "there is no way to play WMA in MacOS". Are you normal?
Boy are you normal? Or do u know how things work?

VLC Player plays WMA in Mac, because it comes with it's own engine & codecs using which doesn't depends on the Mac multimedia architecture.

Flip4Mac playes in Quicktime, is Quicktime a Music Player? iTunes is but despite of using Quicktime engine & sharing same decoders it doesn't plays WMA Files.

In both cases Mac cannot play the 3rd Most used audio format out there, out of the box. Is that normal?

BTW, you can use some application like Switch to convert your music from the crappy WMA format into something a little better and iTunes compatible.
No sorry, i won't convert. Don't want to have 2 copies of same songs in my HD & don't want to retag everything again. Any other method? I talked about Winamp cos it also comes with it's own audio & video engine & is better suited to play Audio then compared to VLC.

gx_saurav, we all know your opinion about Mac OS X. Please keep your sordid thoughts to yourself or post them in other threads. We are not interested in hearing your rants over here. The next post you make criticising Mac OS X will be ignored, at least by me. Consider that a warning in advance. I'm glad to help out with any problem you guys encounter while using Mac OS X, but I have no intention of putting up with posts that lack common sense that you can find even in a dead man's brain! :mad:
OMG ...what do I see here. Is it anger cos I pointed out the shortcomings in Mac which according to you never existed. :D. Thanx for your warning boy, i guess i m in the eyes of the mod now.

Mav3

Everything configued now it seems? There was this app I found Which can make any application go full screen. Will PM you.

@ arya

We are using MacOS X now on PC. Now we are using this OS so mind helping us in using it properly ? It doesn't matter if I m not using in on a Macintosh, I know the stability issues but that aside...mind helping me making it work according to my choice. I asked for a music player you told me a site, well....go to download.com & you can fine many mp3 players for Windows too, right.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

@ goobimama, mail2and, nepcker... if you guys are alive...

Have any of you used Final Cut Studio?

Sourabh

Laptoping

Digit forums are not the place to seek or provide help with PCs running Mac OS X. fatbeing has already said this in the other thread. So, would everyone just follow that? Consider this a final reminder, anyone who asks or provides help related to Mac OS running on PC will be banned after confirmation from the admin/s. We have already seen a lot of closed threads, miserabling and banning on the forums in this regard. If you cannot tolerate something, just agree to disagree and move on with other things in life.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

LOL! This sounds so much like teachers warning in examination halls that both the person seeing and the one showing will be penalised. Well, I'm glad you guys are actively discouraging illegal discussion on this forum now. It is certainly a step forward. :)

So, back to:
aryayush said:
@ goobimama, mail2and, nepcker... if you guys are alive...

Have any of you used Final Cut Studio?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

ok sourabh none of us are using mac on a pc ;) we all hang out at the apple near us go there find faults come back here and our posting :D

@arya ya i found applications and then realised what the poof thing meant ... my fault ... well what can i do been used to a small arrow telling me tht it is a short cut ;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Find we will buy a Mac & then ask here.

But hey, we are not asking about how to install Mac on PC. We are just asking what application we should use on Mac to play audio etc, is that also illegal?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

^^ exactly just asking how do applications and other options in a mac work whats wrong in tht ....

praka123

left this forum longback

^^ traitors :-|>We all know what is what eh?U guys are hard trying to pwning Poor Linux and Mac Users.ain't U?Also puhleese answer do u get stipends from Microsoft India for doing so?Am afraid of the time when u make all MS Windows users of this forum looks as BAD as ur likes :mad:
Leave it people,its doing good for no one.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I appreciate your sentiments but please do not hijack the thread!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

praka123 said:
^^ traitors :-|>We all know what is what eh?U guys are hard trying to pwning Poor Linux and Mac Users.ain't U?Also puhleese answer do u get stipends from Microsoft India for doing so?Am afraid of the time when u make all MS Windows users of this forum looks as BAD as ur likes :mad:
Leave it people,its doing good for no one.
Yo Yo Yo, we are trying to pawn. Comon...we are just showing the facts here. Thats it. We found shortcomings in an OS which is shouted to be better then Windows, well is it wrong to post shortcomings in an OS? Do we shout when Linux/Mac users shout that Windows has Virus & security holes, no we admit it & tell you to use Windows properly ;-) or how to fix it.

We are using an OS & just asking from other users of the same OS about how to work on it. Isn't this what you Linux users recommend & advice those who are new to Linux ?

I wish we get paid for posting in this forum :D. We do not even market Windows Vista here, we do not even start flaming threads here, we do not even start a thread about the shortcomings of Linux or Mac. It is always the other way arround. Mac users told us "Try Mac before you make a verdict", well we are using it & need some help from other "Mac Genius" users about the application recomendation. Is it wrong?
iMav said:
ok sourabh none of us are using mac on a pc :wink: we all hang out at the apple near us go there find faults come back here and our posting :grin:

ya me too doing the same, I sit in the Apple shop whole day, & stay logged in using Yahoo Messenger & Safari

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well first it was windows thread now even mac threads ae being hi-jacked by OSC ... hey arya dont blame us this time ;)

coming back to the topic:

ichat refuses to open ... when i click on the dock icon it will bounce the arrow will come but the application wont open :confused:

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

ichat refuses to open ... when i click on the dock icon it will bounce the arrow will come but the application wont open :confused:
This is a known problem with Mac applications cos they do not "Close" when closed using the red button. The application is running in background but for some reason it is not coming out in front. (Thats the best guess I can make )

Open Activity Monitor, from utilites. From there you can Kill a process.

By the way, why use iChat? You got an AOL account? I uninstalled it in favor of Yahoo messenger. File transfer & webcam work :D. For MSN & Google talk i m using adium, which i hardly open cos i stay on Yahoo usually.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

got it working i wonder what is with me and my mac ... it doesnt show and then all of a sudden it appears from anywhr

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

lolz...maybe MacOS hates running on a cheap high perforamnce PC

Top Bottom