The Official HTC Desire Thread

allfields

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys...I was thinking of buying HTC desire... up until i read some reviews on net .. which mention about the overheating problem and a fully recharged battery dying in 3 hours. anybody has this problem in india. How much battery life do u get from it.

Kvishal

In the zone
Ok let me try to address few points here ........ The BEST is always relative, there is nothing BEST as such out there in Gadget world, it would always be relative (as aptly pointed out by Hrithan ).......... I need x things from a smart phone and I get all x and few more and that makes this smart phone THE BEST for me. ........ Seriously if you expect to get ALL and everything best from a smartphone you are badly mistaken, first there would always be a product offering one or the other thing better in some or the other department. Second personal preference would always play a huge role in deciding what is "THE BEST" out there

I in none of my statement in this thread said GS is not as good as Desire unlike few of the people put it here so bluntly with a tag "IMHO" .... :)

There is clean line of Pros and Cones between the two phones and that is the BEST part about this particular comparison as it makes easier for the end user to make a decision.

Recently my cousin wanted to have a high end smartphone and as usual approached me for the help, now I could have easily suggested him Desire since some of the people here believe that since I own it, its obvious, well that is not how I perceive. His main objective was to get a fast phone, with the Best looking display but most of all rocking camera and video recording, and he would also go for some quality gaming with his phone......obviously Desire was not for him, though fast but definitely not better in Camera and Video capabilities then GS. Plus GPS was something which he would not be using at all. All this made GS the obvious choice and that is what I made him choose .....

Coming to the second query of Desire loading full desktop sites, I dont know from where did this doubt come from, Desire DOES LOAD all the site in FULL DESKTOP mode, there is no question/doubt about this, infact there is an option in the setting of the browser, to choose between what it should load.......the mobile version or the FULL desktop version, which one can opt ......

here the screen shot for CNET site loaded on the desire and the desktop for some solid confirmation ...

THE SITE ON DESKTOP

*img149.imageshack.us/img149/2443/20101013155633c.jpg

THE SITE ON HTC DESIRE

*img408.imageshack.us/img408/4536/screenshot15dm.png

You know I have set out to buy a phone and HTC-Desire is from one from the shortlisted ones now the biggest problem I have in buying HTC-Desire is, nowhere that I can see and have a demo of the Desire...None of the electronics stores Croma, Individual dealers, Retailers-Dealers mentioned on the HTC official site none of them say that they can show me a demo...absolutely nobody.(I know a lot of people would say to watch Videos, which are plenty out there on youtube etc..But Video and Reality, meaning when you hold it and experience it could be a huge difference, doesn't quite appeal to me) So When I called up the HTC guys on their customer service number, they say we are aware that nobody can show you a demo but we cant do anything about it...Now that Sucks !! That Sucks Big time...If HTC is deciding to compete against some Giants like Nokia,Sony-Erricson, Samsung how do they plan to then target a potential customer, if they cannot let a end user see, feel touch their product. I for one very strongly feel buying a Electronic device the end user has to see it, touch it, experience it and be 100% convinced and satisfied that it is the product that he's looking out for only then does it make sense to buy it. Buying a Electronic Gadget based just on specs or good reviews...Good review which may appeal to some may not necessary make sense to someone else...so...I don't know How wise would that decision be...If I am spending 26K+ of Rupees I wanna be mighty sure that I am buying the right thing, and I know what I am buying. But with this kind of Sales Strategy I don't know how HTC will manage to convince me and like me many other customers who are waiting to buy a HTC device but cant make up their mind coz they cant see a demo. I might aswell then go with Nokia, SE, SAMSUNG If I know where my hard earned money is being invested in...

Hrithan2020

In the zone
@Kvishal,
Agreed! HTC India has poor sales strategy as well as services.(I feel Nokia has one of the better services). Here's to hoping they improve it. I am sure, they could've sold lots more HTC Desire's had they released it earlier..

Kvishal

In the zone
@Kvishal,
Agreed! HTC India has poor sales strategy as well as services.(I feel Nokia has one of the better services). Here's to hoping they improve it. I am sure, they could've sold lots more HTC Desire's had they released it earlier..

And Marketed well !! Most importantly, not to forget it...:mrgreen:

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
You know I have set out to buy a phone and HTC-Desire is from one from the shortlisted ones now the biggest problem I have in buying HTC-Desire is, nowhere that I can see and have a demo of the Desire...None of the electronics stores Croma, Individual dealers, Retailers-Dealers mentioned on the HTC official site none of them say that they can show me a demo...absolutely nobody.(I know a lot of people would say to watch Videos, which are plenty out there on youtube etc..But Video and Reality, meaning when you hold it and experience it could be a huge difference, doesn't quite appeal to me) So When I called up the HTC guys on their customer service number, they say we are aware that nobody can show you a demo but we cant do anything about it...Now that Sucks !! That Sucks Big time...If HTC is deciding to compete against some Giants like Nokia,Sony-Erricson, Samsung how do they plan to then target a potential customer, if they cannot let a end user see, feel touch their product. I for one very strongly feel buying a Electronic device the end user has to see it, touch it, experience it and be 100% convinced and satisfied that it is the product that he's looking out for only then does it make sense to buy it. Buying a Electronic Gadget based just on specs or good reviews...Good review which may appeal to some may not necessary make sense to someone else...so...I don't know How wise would that decision be...If I am spending 26K+ of Rupees I wanna be mighty sure that I am buying the right thing, and I know what I am buying. But with this kind of Sales Strategy I don't know how HTC will manage to convince me and like me many other customers who are waiting to buy a HTC device but cant make up their mind coz they cant see a demo. I might aswell then go with Nokia, SE, SAMSUNG If I know where my hard earned money is being invested in...

First HTC isnt targeting India at all for their high end phones, (strange may it seems though), its already enough that they did decide to finally launch DESIRE in india after completely skiping the NEXUS ONE. That itself is a proof enough how much are they interested in India. Cannt much blame them too, if you ask me.........though India is one if the biggest market in telecom, the heighest selling numbers are the cheapest mobiles....... heck even macromax is in the lines to beat Nokia in the low end segment market pretty soon. HTC has no phone below 15K mark, infact only couple in that range, so you can see why HTC wont be interested in properly marketing the high end phones in India. They are simplt not interested in launching any phone in the low end segment infact in the mid rage segment for that matter.

This leaves people like us (more tech and net savy) a bit dissappointed who are ready to shell out 25+K for the product (as they believe in their product) but fail to get proper attention because of poor marketing or sales, services or whatever.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
:) . True. I guess at least 50% of my friends won't be knowing that HTC manufactures such awesome phones. ;) (It's always Nokia Nx/Nxx and in some cases, SE Satio)

Yea recently I was successfully able to change the interest of one of my friends who was preordering Nokia N8 to Desire or GS. :D In all probability he would go for Desire now or least wait for Desire HD .... :D

Hrithan2020

In the zone
@sam9s,
Cool!
But you should not ignore the fact that Micromax and all such manufacturers which cater to lower-end of the market, get relatively little profit per handset whilst HTC would probably much higher margin. (So, possibly chance of more profit provided they market their handsets, although most likely most sales are going to be in the 12-20 k segment.)

Archit Badola

Broken In
@sam9s
I bought desire 3 days ago from delhi 27k reading this forum only.
wanna root it.
pls help as you must have tested it.I have Googled it but nothing beats first hand experience.
Thankzzz

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
^^ Whats your phone current status, I mean need to know the OS version (2.1 or updated to 2.2) and the HBOOT version. To check the HBOOT version, switch off the phone, and restart it by pressing the back key, and you should be in the recovery mode, where you should be able to see the HBOOT version.

BTW congratts, post some pics of your phone ..... :)

Archit Badola

Broken In
^^
Ya i updated to 2.2 right away as i read 2.2 is more efficient.
Boot loader 0.93.00001
I will definitely post some pics but my other phone with camera broke.

Also somehow i managed to crash the phone so it would always show HTC logo for 2 to 5 seconds whenever back button is pressed.

So i just did factory reset but its still 2.2. froyo.

PS.And it was specially your post that made me buy this phone n i m loving it.
and has anyone got map my india navigator on desire.

Sorry, this is a stupid question.

Can someone explain what is rooting actually in wider terms ? If desire is already updated to 2.2, what's the purpose of rooting then ?

I know jb (jailbreak), but new to the terms of android.

Can you tell me it is good to wait for Desire HD or should I go for Desire ?

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
^^
Ya i updated to 2.2 right away as i read 2.2 is more efficient.
Boot loader 0.93.00001
I will definitely post some pics but my other phone with camera broke.

Also somehow i managed to crash the phone so it would always show HTC logo for 2 to 5 seconds whenever back button is pressed.

So i just did factory reset but its still 2.2. froyo.

PS.And it was specially your post that made me buy this phone n i m loving it.
and has anyone got map my india navigator on desire.

Thanks, I am happy that I was able to ease some ones decision ........ Ok 2.2. with 0.93 can be rooted now as you must be knowing. So are you ready to root .. ????

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Sorry, this is a stupid question.

Can someone explain what is rooting actually in wider terms ? If desire is already updated to 2.2, what's the purpose of rooting then ?

I know jb (jailbreak), but new to the terms of android.

Can you tell me it is good to wait for Desire HD or should I go for Desire ?

Rooting gives you the super user access, meaning you can do things with the phone that only developers have the access to. For a layman or end user this means ability to load some cool applications, overcome some limitations that is set by the company (HTC or Google), better management of the phone ....etc ......

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
OKie here we go ......

1. First the ever important, formal statement and declaration ...... " I am only providing you the tools the developers have created and the guidelines to follow them, under no circumstances I take the responsibility, if at any point you brick (damage) your phone"

Though I would also like to mention that bricking Desire is almost impossible, I have not come across any user in the entire Rooting community that has bricked his phone, but as I said, formal statement has to be made.

OKIE Let the Rooting begin ..... :D

1. To start......download the following tools and report back when done .....

a. unrEVOked 3.2 ::: That is the main tool developed by the unrEVOked community that does the actual rooting, its a GUI based application and is a one step tool, very easy. Download it from the below location ....

unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.21

b. HBOOT drivers ::: Windows user need to download the HBOOT drivers, will discribe the steps to do the update. Download the HBOOT driver from the below location ....

*unrevoked.com/rootwiki/lib/exe/fet...unrevoked.com/recovery/android-usb-driver.zip

d. HTC Sync ::: HTC Sync is needed to install, some of the drivers that the phone would need to communicate with the OS while rooting. Download HTC sync from below

HTC Desire - Software Download

c. AppsMonster ::: When we root all the applications will be deleted and the phone reverts to it default settings. To save atleast the applications I suggest install an application called AppMonster. Download and take a complete backup of all the applications installed. Point your barcode scanner to the image below and you should be able to download the application.

*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=135x135&chl=market://details?id=de.android_telefonie.appmanager

Download all of the above, keep them in one location. Report back when all is downloaded and we are ready to go for the steps ......:razz:

Last edited:
OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Ya done all that
and i guess its htc sync not sense right.

lol yes right .... foolish me ... I am so wrapped in my HTC sense that its all I see ... :D .... Ok give me break here as I have to go to somewhere, but dont worry we shall root the phone tonight .... keep an eye on the thread ... :)

Top Bottom