The Official HTC Desire Thread

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Yea I have that, but I was able to get from my local store itself ........ Got it for 250 ...

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Guys I am in a big fix .... I just love 2.2, but it cannot be rooted yet .... and Titanium backup runs only on rooted phones, so I can'nt even restore my apps and settings....damm .. and I do not want to roll back to 2.1 ..... as in 2.1 you cant install apps to your mem card ....... confused.....

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
@sam9s yes you can. Roll back to 2.1. Root your phone and use apps2sd.apk to trasfer apps to your memory card. Works way better than the inbuilt option.

pid 0

Broken In
Guys I am in a big fix .... I just love 2.2, but it cannot be rooted yet .... and Titanium backup runs only on rooted phones, so I can'nt even restore my apps and settings....damm .. and I do not want to roll back to 2.1 ..... as in 2.1 you cant install apps to your mem card ....... confused.....

Rollback to 2.1, and install a pre-rooted official rom. It's as good as stock but with root. You already went a step ahead and rooted. Now take one more step and you got what you want :smile::smile:

Edit: Can you restore settings across 2.1/2.2 with titanium backup?? meaning can you save settings in 2.1 and restore it without any problems in 2.2? And does it need root to even if i want to do only restore and not backup?

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Rollback to 2.1, and install a pre-rooted official rom. It's as good as stock but with root. You already went a step ahead and rooted. Now take one more step and you got what you want :smile::smile:

Edit: Can you restore settings across 2.1/2.2 with titanium backup?? meaning can you save settings in 2.1 and restore it without any problems in 2.2? And does it need root to even if i want to do only restore and not backup?

I dont want to roll back to 2.1, thats the problem and also I am a bit skeptical to load any custom ROM, as I was not at all satisfied when I loaded MoDaCo rom, and thats why I decided to get official 2.2 rather then custom 2.2.

So I rolled back to 2.1 and got an official 2.2 upgrade ... and yes we can restore setting across 2.1 and 2.2 using Titanium but the phone must be rooted ..... which you cant with official 2.2 (yet). The titanium wont even install on official 2.2 .......

I am still searching for an alternative ....... I simply do not want to roll back ... and load custom ROM, I already did that with a horrible phone stability issue ...

drumster

Broken In
Anyone got a good oil resistant screen guard for desire? went to croma but found none that fits desire. Any suggestions?

I have been looking for a Cover and Scratchguard for my Desire too. If any of you find anything in bombay, please post it on this thread. It'll be helpful to everyone.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
For scratchguard, try this: HTC Desire Covers | Screen Protector,Cases,Full-Body Invisible Shield,Skin | GadgetShieldz

I'm using the same thing on my Galaxy S, and it is AWESOME! Only 7 USD and next day delivery (ships from chennai) :)

drumster

Broken In
Damn! I just ordered from ebay 5 minutes before ur message. Anyway will try the ebay one, its cheap (199/-). If that doesnt work well then I'll order from this one. Thanks.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Oh, this is FULL body protection! Even covers the back! So this ain't all that expensive! And its the same as Zagg.

drumster

Broken In
So now that the scratchguard is taken care off, any suggestions on Carry-cases? I am not looking at hard cover (that someone else posted earlier), But I am looking for regular leather (or artificial leather) slide-in pouches. Didnt find any on eBay. Any suggestions?

pid 0

Broken In
I am still searching for an alternative ....... I simply do not want to roll back ... and load custom ROM, I already did that with a horrible phone stability issue ...

I understand... modaco and many others are customized roms which includes root. But I think there are roms out there which takes the official 2.2 rom add the root access and have no other modifications. They should be as good as official but with root.

I think that is the only option you have at the moment if you want to access paid apps...... :-|:-|

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
^^ yea i was reading this thread ...

[ROM] [04/09] Pre-rooted Stock Froyo (2.10.405.2) - xda-developers

The latest rooted official 2.2, seems stable, but still people do repost nitty bugs here and there, and that seems to give me creeps. The OTS 2.2 I am running is absolute stable in all departments and seriously very fast ......

Also I dont seem to understand one thing, when developers have an Official rooted 2.2, why can we have the procedure to root the OTA official 2.2, after all their ROM is based on the same official 2.2 ...... need to dig more in to this .....

I wish they bring out the prodecure to root 0.93 bootloader ..... :-(

HellwratH

Broken In
Yuuhooooo :) .... Rooted the phone, but did not install the custome ROM as I didnt need that...... Market Enabler worked and now I can see the paid applications in the market, however I still would love to have an option to search something like Top paid applications, which I still cant in the default market .........

M working .... :)

I think Market Access will give you that option of seeing top paid apps. I get it on my SGS, so may be you can give that a try as well.

The other way of doing it is, using a US sim card which you might have got with your iPhone :).

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Also I dont seem to understand one thing, when developers have an Official rooted 2.2, why can we have the procedure to root the OTA official 2.2, after all their ROM is based on the same official 2.2 ...... need to dig more in to this .....

Not necessarily. Sometime they download source code from AOSP project and compile for the target device. At least Cyanogen team does that. Also remember if you root your existing ROM. Any OTA update that HTC pushes will not work on your phone.

Download a nandroid backup tool (Amon_RA or Cyanogen) for Desire/Nexus One. Perform the backup of your existing OEM ROM. Save it safely somewhere. Flash the new ROM that you want to test. Flashing a new (XDA) ROM will automatically give you root access. If you like it stick with it or revert to your original ROM. Simple.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
I think Market Access will give you that option of seeing top paid apps. I get it on my SGS, so may be you can give that a try as well.

The other way of doing it is, using a US sim card which you might have got with your iPhone :).

Yea it did when I had rooted 2.1 ..... now I am with 2.2 ...... waiting for it to be rooted ...

And I did get a sim with my iPhone, but I dont seem to remember what I did with it ... :-(

Not necessarily. Sometime they download source code from AOSP project and compile for the target device. At least Cyanogen team does that. Also remember if you root your existing ROM. Any OTA update that HTC pushes will not work on your phone.

Download a nandroid backup tool (Amon_RA or Cyanogen) for Desire/Nexus One. Perform the backup of your existing OEM ROM. Save it safely somewhere. Flash the new ROM that you want to test. Flashing a new (XDA) ROM will automatically give you root access. If you like it stick with it or revert to your original ROM. Simple.

Yes I did that nandroid backup before trying out the customs and rooted 2.2 roms ...... in all the experiment my Stock official 2.1 ROM was always with me ...... that is why I was able to roll back and install OTA 2.2 ...... I love OTA 2.2, even more than rooted 2.2, simply because its the most stable rom, other sometime provided problems in few departments ........ The only thing I miss is the MarketAccess, Titanium back up and AutoKiller, all these work on rooted phones .....

I hope they bring out the way to root OTA 2.2 with Bootloader 0.93,..... they should actually ....

Guys with Desire and OTA 2.2 ...... listen to this

Though 2.2 offeres to install the apps to SD card ... there are certain limitations.......like

1. The apps are not actually installed on SD, they are installed on internal mem and we have to manually go and move the app to SD card ..

2. Unlike apps2sd+ on rooted phone, the apps are not installed directly to the SD card as I said we have to move the apps from internal mem to SD card .....

3. And the most irritating NOT ALL apps can be moved to SD...... infact I'd say only 40% of current apps can be moved to SD ....

SOLUTION :::

1. Install an apps called app 2 sd this application would list all the apps that can be moved to SD card and you can move them in one go ....

BUT

2. The best solution is through Android SDK. Script the OS to install the apps directly to SD card, this can be dont in the following manner ....

1. First enable USB debugging on your Android device from Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.

2. Now download and install the Android SDK on your computer from Android SDK | Android Developers. Once you’ve downloaded and extracted the package to the folder of your choice, run SDK Setup.exe and click on Available Packages to the left. If you get an error message at this point, enable “Force *…” in the Settings and refresh the available package list. From the list, select “Usb Driver package”, click on the Install present at bottom right corner and complete the procedure.

FOR WINDOWS XP

3. Make sure you phone is set to "Charge Only" ....Connect your phone to your computer with a USB-cable. Your OS should prompt you to install new drivers. Choose to install them from the android-sdk-windows/usb_driver folder, you will find this folder where you extracted SDK in step 2.

FOR WINDOWS 7/VISTA

3. Download and install HTC Sync from HTC India site. Make sure you phone is set to Sync via HTC Sync. Connect the phone to your computer with a USB cable.

4. Next, go to run and then type CMD to get the command prompt, navigate to the Android-SDK-windows\tools folder. Thats the same location where you extracted the SDK in step 2.

5. In the Android-SDK-windows\tools folder, type the following commands ...
Assuming that you extracted the SDK in D: drive root

D:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb devices

you will get a serial number starting with "H", then type

adb shell <<You will get the UNIX $ prompt>>
$ pm setInstallLocation 2
$exit

6. To switch back to storing software on the internal memory, enter adb shell pm setInstallLocation 0.

and thats it, from now what ever apps you install, it would go straight to SD card ......:)

PS :: It might be possible that some apps might still not be moved to SD, so its recommended from time to time to check and see if all the apps HAVE moved ...

Source :: How to Install Apps to the SD Card by Default on Android 2.2 Froyo | larsa | Androinica

Last edited:

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
^^Good share.

However some apps. are better off running from internal memory. For e.g. ADW launcher, any keyboard app (such as swype or HTC_IME), task killers, etc . Also every SD card (even class 6) comes with finite number of read and write cycles. So every time an SD card is accessed its life actually comes down.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
^^Good share.

However some apps. are better off running from internal memory. For e.g. ADW launcher, any keyboard app (such as swype or HTC_IME), task killers, etc . Also every SD card (even class 6) comes with finite number of read and write cycles. So every time an SD card is accessed its life actually comes down.

Yep you are right, Infact I noticed something, the live wallpapers, if you move then to SD card and then connect you phone to PC as a diskdrive, they stop working, till the time you unmount your phone from the PC .....

Coming to that class 6 SD card, any idea how can we check if the card is class 6, I have an 8GB SDHC card, but I can't find anywhere written on it what class it is ........ ......

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Class of the card is normally mentioned on it.

*img205.imageshack.us/img205/5605/rpsdq04ge1kadditionalwe.jpg

Last edited:

pid 0

Broken In
I wish they bring out the prodecure to root 0.93 bootloader ..... :-(

Check out this thread if you have not yet...
There seems to be a breakthrough with the NAND lock and I guess they managed to find a way to NAND unlock fully.

Check Post #32 - Looks like there might be support for rooting hboot 0.93

And looks like Unrevoked 3.2 is on the works, which might provide root support for 0.92 hboot - here - Oops looks like they released and pulled it cos of some issues. It should be out soon enough... :wink::wink:

Top Bottom