The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

Xamanus

Journeyman
Ordered it!

Next best similar price was at the $1800 with less specs. Sager takes 2-3 weeks to deliver from xotic pc, + 1650+ . ( without tax )

Here I payed $1350 with tax with these specs:

4th Gen Intel Core i7-4720HQ (2.6GHz/3.6GHz) Quad Core Processor, Genuine Windows 8.1 64-Bit
15.6'' 4K UHD LED Glossy Backlit (3840x2160)Touch, JBL® speakers, SPDIF, HDMI, Gigabit LAN
4GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M Graphics; 32 GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600MHz (2 Dimm)
512 GB Eluktro Pro Performance (SSD) Solid State SATA III; Wi-Fi AC Wireless (2x2) + Bluetooth v4.0
Red Backlit AccuType® Keyboard, Dolby® Home TheaterTM v4, 4-cell Battery, HD Webcam, 1 Year Warranty

Nearest game the asus one which was $1700 -but 8 gb ram, no touch screen.

AmoghBarthwal

Right off the assembly line
Hello everyone. Im a newbie on the forums. I just wanted to ask that I want to buy a laptop (Not a desktop as I want it for college )
My budget is 80k max. I have many doubts. First I thought of going for the y50 860m variant, but then I got to know about the 960m version which was released in march in the US and is still not available in India yet.
So, I want to know that whether I should wait for it to launch in India or should I import it from ebay/Amazon.
Also, if I ask someone to get it for me would i still have to pay customs?
What all other alternatives I have? I don't want a slower GPU than 860/960m.
The overall cost should not go above 80k after including shipping/customs
Thanks

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Hello everyone. Im a newbie on the forums. I just wanted to ask that I want to buy a laptop (Not a desktop as I want it for college )
My budget is 80k max. I have many doubts. First I thought of going for the y50 860m variant, but then I got to know about the 960m version which was released in march in the US and is still not available in India yet.
So, I want to know that whether I should wait for it to launch in India or should I import it from ebay/Amazon.
Also, if I ask someone to get it for me would i still have to pay customs?
What all other alternatives I have? I don't want a slower GPU than 860/960m.
The overall cost should not go above 80k after including shipping/customs
Thanks
Don't get the y50 model with 860m. Bad screen will give you eye strain and headache. Some cases nausea- my roommate gets them.

The 960m model when released in India will easily cost above 1lakh.

You don't have to pay customs if someone gets the y50 960m from USA though that person has to throw away the laptop box.

You alternatives are:

Asus g551 jx with a 950m. This is currently 86k on fk. Good screen. Free gaming mouse and headset which are pretty good.

Asus g551 jk with a 850m. 79k on fk. Same goodies as above Asus.

MSI but they are too costly.

And if you are OK to import, head to xoticpc.com and build yourself a sager. Most VFM.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Don't get the y50 model with 860m. Bad screen will give you eye strain and headache. Some cases nausea- my roommate gets them.

The 960m model when released in India will easily cost above 1lakh.

You don't have to pay customs if someone gets the y50 960m from USA though that person has to throw away the laptop box.

You alternatives are:

Asus g551 jx with a 950m. This is currently 86k on fk. Good screen. Free gaming mouse and headset which are pretty good.

Asus g551 jk with a 850m. 79k on fk. Same goodies as above Asus.

MSI but they are too costly.

And if you are OK to import, head to xoticpc.com and build yourself a sager. Most VFM.

W8!

GL552JX with 950m is available on eBay as well as local sellers.
pretty vfm at 60 k

Dr. House

No Regrets
W8!

GL552JX with 950m is available on eBay as well as local sellers.
pretty vfm at 60 k

What coupon code you're using? Seller looks authentic. No need to worry as Asus comes with international warranty, no matter where you bought the device.

Last edited:

arjotsingh

Broken In
Hey guys
I bought the y50 70 laptop with configuration as follows
core i7 4710hq
8 gb ram
1tb sshd with 8gb flash
nvidia 860m 2gb graphic card

Now my problem is that I didn,t liked the windows 8.1 64 bit SL preinstalled so I uninstalled it and removed all the partitions which were in gpt mode and re partitioned it in legacy mbr mode.
I also changed the bios to legacy bios mode instead of uefi
Now when I installed Win 7 on my laptop all the drivers that I downloaded from the official lenovo site are working except for the display drivers. Neither intel nor nvidia ones are installing.
Intel one is telling me that my system does not meet the minimum system requirements for this driver.
Nvidia one doesn,t detect the h/w
Also windows update is telling me to put an exception for it in windows firewall.

Sorry for the long post.
Please help.

AmoghBarthwal

Hi guys,
I just went to Nehru Place today and got to know that the lenovo y50 refresh is here. But it still comes with the TN panel, i dont know why. It does come with the gtx 960m, confirmed by myself ( checked it from dxdiag too)

Price - 81k, which i think is very good.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^ Lenovo India cutting costs to increase profit. Should've been priced under 80k.

Edit:
WTF!! It costs them 48k and they sell it for 80k? That's way too much. Shouldn't be priced over 65-70k.
*www.zauba.com/import-lenovo-y50-hs-code.html

$hadow

Geek in making
They are priced high initially. Will be a price cut in the future but still for 80k not a bad product.

AmoghBarthwal

I will be buying this laptop in this week.
960m 4Gb @80k
Are there any problems faced by y50 owners regarding build etc. How is lenovo's customer care experience?

Also amy other alternatives? Gpu not less than 960m and cant import laptops from US. Akso 80k is my final budget.
Thanks

vito scalleta

In the zone
guys my friend wants to buy the refresh model from usa. but I couldnt find it on their website . where else should i be looking ??

found it on bestbuy for 1000$

Last edited:

nrgmalik

Broken In
Lenovo Y50 with 960M & IPS Display available on Lenovo Online Official Store for a whopping 88,990/-.

Here is the link *www.thedostore.com/59-445565.html

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
After use of 10 months, the HDD has gotten really sluggish. There is a noticeable lag when launching programs or win store apps.

So I just ordered a Samsung 500gb ssd for my y50 (4gb 860m model)

Anyone already installed an ssd on their machines? Also how viable is the win 10 update?

Planning to do a clean install of okr and then windows on the ssd and making my own backup image into okr. Anybody done this already?

amey2606

Broken In
After use of 10 months, the HDD has gotten really sluggish. There is a noticeable lag when launching programs or win store apps.

So I just ordered a Samsung 500gb ssd for my y50 (4gb 860m model)

Anyone already installed an ssd on their machines? Also how viable is the win 10 update?

Planning to do a clean install of okr and then windows on the ssd and making my own backup image into okr. Anybody done this already?
+1
Thinking of doing the same thing.
If anyone could please guide me on this.
Ultimately, i just want to install a clean Windows 10 with WORKING OKR as i have been getting a lot of "display driver kernel has stopped working" errors.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
+1
Thinking of doing the same thing.
If anyone could please guide me on this.
Ultimately, i just want to install a clean Windows 10 with WORKING OKR as i have been getting a lot of "display driver kernel has stopped working" errors.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Am still skeptical about moving to win 10. Gonna do clean win 8.1 for now :)

Top Bottom