the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
@rachitboom
I m planning to buy this laptop. I was planning a dell XPS earlier. I am not a hardcore gamer. The only thing I would miss is the JBL speakers. However HD 6770 is hard to ignore compared to GT 525M. I had some confusions initially but now after reading your impressions I have decided that I will be buying it

Glad i could help... :)

geekymedico

Broken In
Check this link for exact config - HP Pavilion dv6-6017tx Entertainment Notebook PC (LQ460PA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office products

Still in short, its has core i7 proc, 4 gb single channel ddr3 1333 ram, 500gb 5200rpm hdd, 15.6" display and ati HD6770 raedon gpu...

Online HP Store is giving a free upgrade to 6gb RAM and extra Hard drive space - 640 gb @ 7200rpm or 750 gb @ 5200 rpm

Another question : Is the sound loud enough. I have a acer Aspire and I cant hear the sound in youtube videos online most of the times. Thanks in advance

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Online HP Store is giving a free upgrade to 6gb RAM and extra Hard drive space - 640 gb @ 7200rpm or 750 gb @ 5200 rpm

Another question : Is the sound loud enough. I have a acer Aspire and I cant hear the sound in youtube videos online most of the times. Thanks in advance

Dude what are you talkin about ???
HP india does not have an online store... And if u have found a good deal then send post the link asap !!!

And yaa the sound is pretty loud, read my posts to know more...

geekymedico

Broken In
Dude what are you talkin about ???
HP india does not have an online store... And if u have found a good deal then send post the link asap !!!

My fault. The offer is only applicable to US. Here is the link. HP Pavilion dv6-6091nr Entertainment Notebook PC (dark umber) | HP® Official Store

It is much cheaper there. For $881 you are getting standard configuration + 6gb RAM, 640GB @ 7200 HDD, 15 month Norton Internet Security 2011 subscription and a Blu Ray player!!!

reddead

LoSt!
someone from another forum suggested me to get a sony vaio instead
SONY VAIO VPCCB15FG/G

it has i5 proc,4gigs of ram,6630 gpu:x,baclit keyboard and a FHD screen:grin:

now i am again confused::?

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
someone from another forum suggested me to get a sony vaio instead
SONY VAIO VPCCB15FG/G

it has i5 proc,4gigs of ram,6630 gpu:x,baclit keyboard and a FHD screen:grin:

now i am again confused::?

One will give u better performance and the other one will give u better features... Its your call cuzz u wont be disappointed with either one...

BUT do keep one thing in mind, FHD screen does look great but it means 1080x1920 which compared to 1366x768 has twice as many pixels... the GPU will be heavily burdened in any gpu intensive task...

geekymedico

Broken In
^only reason i am thinking of buying a sony is hp's overheating and durability...

Rachit had quoted in another thread that HP is running cooler than XPS15. Thats why I m going for it. I'll get it in 2-3 days probably as the model is not available. igyaan review also did not mention any serious heating issues.

reddead

LoSt!
ok so the fact that i am afraid of hp's overheating issues are bcoz of my sister's friends.....3 of them have hp laptops and all have advised me to get a non-hp laptop...
1 of them had this issue which left him with damaged motherboard and adapter and has to buy another laptop......

and also someone from other forum posted
i got an hp dv5 1006ax.
its bloody radiator,
it idles at 90c.
i opened it up and did put arctic silver 5 thermal paste on cpu and cleaned up heat exhaust and all.
but still no benefit on heat.
frankly speaking,
i wont be buying another hp.
after sales service is heat or miss.

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Rachit had quoted in another thread that HP is running cooler than XPS15. Thats why I m going for it. I'll get it in 2-3 days probably as the model is not available. igyaan review also did not mention any serious heating issues.

Here are a few IMP points regarding heating issues:-

1. All sandy bridge cpus run cooler than there first gen cpu laptops (eg XPS 15 old and XPS15 new).

2. The main reason is the dual GPU's as the intel 3000 series gpu is good enough for most tasks and it runs really cool compared to the other dedicated GPU (ATI or nvidia).

3. So 6017 and xps15 runs at more or less same temp when on intel gpu.

4. However when on the dedicated GPU say while gaming, 6017 heats up quite a lot.

5. But a good cooling pad really helps get the temps down to i7 with HD6770 acceptable limits.

6. I have played for an hour continuously and havn't faced any shutdowns due to overheating.

7. If you are a gamer,
a. Go for it IF you are going to play games with a good cooling pad and in a cool room preferably with a ac.

b. Dont go for it if you will be playing it without any cooling pad, playing in a cool room helps but is not completely necessary.

8. There is no heat build up anywhere on the keyboard or touch pad or right side of touch pad, it is only on the left side of touch pad...

9. (Joke) There is an upside to this, laptop can be used for its heat in cold winters ;)

makkags

Right off the assembly line
I bought this laptop a few days back.Its a monster at this price.....loving it!!!
;-)
All games like gta 4,crysis 2,nfs shift 2,fifa 11,cod palyed at ultra settings smoothly!!!

I played nfs shift 2 for about 1.5 hours and temp reches max to 79 C.I am posting the pic of temps!!

reddead

LoSt!
I bought this laptop a few days back.Its a monster at this price.....loving it!!!
;-)
All games like gta 4,crysis 2,nfs shift 2,fifa 11,cod palyed at ultra settings smoothly!!!

I played nfs shift 2 for about 1.5 hours and temp reches max to 79 C.I am posting the pic of temps!!

were you using a cooling pad?
pics?

Here are a few IMP points regarding heating issues:-

1. All sandy bridge cpus run cooler than there first gen cpu laptops (eg XPS 15 old and XPS15 new).

2. The main reason is the dual GPU's as the intel 3000 series gpu is good enough for most tasks and it runs really cool compared to the other dedicated GPU (ATI or nvidia).

3. So 6017 and xps15 runs at more or less same temp when on intel gpu.

4. However when on the dedicated GPU say while gaming, 6017 heats up quite a lot.

5. But a good cooling pad really helps get the temps down to i7 with HD6770 acceptable limits.

6. I have played for an hour continuously and havn't faced any shutdowns due to overheating.

7. If you are a gamer,
a. Go for it IF you are going to play games with a good cooling pad and in a cool room preferably with a ac.

b. Dont go for it if you will be playing it without any cooling pad, playing in a cool room helps but is not completely necessary.

8. There is no heat build up anywhere on the keyboard or touch pad or right side of touch pad, it is only on the left side of touch pad...

9. (Joke) There is an upside to this, laptop can be used for its heat in cold winters ;)

what i want is 2 hours of gaming,a movie a day.....

and if the pc is just on(idle) or downloading something,will it get hot after a few hours?how many hours?

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
what i want is 2 hours of gaming,a movie a day.....

and if the pc is just on(idle) or downloading something,will it get hot after a few hours?how many hours?

Well I watch movies and some series almost all the time when m on my laptop, even when m surfing I watch episodes on the left and my browser on the right side of the screen, its 3-9 hours daily and games for half an hour to one hour...

And as far as idle state is concerned, it stays REALLY cool all the time, I download a LOT of stuff so almost everynight I plug in the adaptor and remove my battey and leave the laptop on for downloading, I made a new power scheme which has min brightness, turn off hdd to never and do nothin when I close the lid. So I can say from my experience that the laptop can stay idle for atleast 8 hours on a streach and can run continuously for atleast 12 hours...

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Got this machine today for 53K.Got a free logitech mouse and 4 gb pen drive. I am a new member here as this was the only forum I could find on the net specific to this model.

Wanted to ask if the RAM is user replaceable? It is mentioned on the HP website.

This is the best laptop in this price. I simply love the biometric function

Junaid

Right off the assembly line
I am too going for this laptop after reading this thread. Initially i was waiting for Lenova Y570 with core i7 & GT555 GPU. But now i think it is more powerful machine then Y570. Also it support USB 3.0.

Few Questions:

1. Which cooling pad you use. What abt Logitech N100 or N120? I will use this laptop mostly on my bed, so i need comfort too.

2. Did you try 3D mark 2011 Score on this laptop?

3. How is screen quality (color & brightness) compare to XPS.

Thanks in advance

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Btw m glad to help everyone here... :)

Got this machine today for 53K.Got a free logitech mouse and 4 gb pen drive. I am a new member here as this was the only forum I could find on the net specific to this model.

Wanted to ask if the RAM is user replaceable? It is mentioned on the HP website.

This is the best laptop in this price. I simply love the biometric function

Congrats on the new laptop...
Yes the RAM is user replaceable, in fact the maintenance bay is really easy to open, its screw free...
And sry dude bt didnt the biometric function part :p

I am too going for this laptop after reading this thread. Initially i was waiting for Lenova Y570 with core i7 & GT555 GPU. But now i think it is more powerful machine then Y570. Also it support USB 3.0.

Few Questions:

1. Which cooling pad you use. What abt Logitech N100 or N120? I will use this laptop mostly on my bed, so i need comfort too.

2. Did you try 3D mark 2011 Score on this laptop?

3. How is screen quality (color & brightness) compare to XPS.

Thanks in advance

1. I have a Belkin Cooling Lounge, its REALLY comfy as unlike other cooling pads it has a thick and soft cushion at the bottom.
It has 2 intake bays, one in the back and one at the bottom.
The cushion makes it good for lap usage and 2 intake bays make it good for bed usage...
Check the pics i posted for better understanding...

2. Yaa did it once... the score was P11xx, dont really remember cuz was in a real hurry, but i did 3dmark 2001 run twice just for fun, the score with everything maxed out was 33800+

3. Its more or less the same... but XPS15 does offer FHD which is the best display for laptops... but will u cost 6k+ extra...

reddead

LoSt!
when i finalized on hp
my sis told me about 1 of his friend's status which said "4th time motherboard replaced. Dhanya ho HP"......
:-x:-x:-x

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
when i finalized on hp
my sis told me about 1 of his friend's status which said "4th time motherboard replaced. Dhanya ho HP"......
:-x:-x:-x

Heating issues have partly been solved by HP Coolsense technology and I can say it works. Yesterday while playing games with ATI card for 1 hr in non ac room i could feel a lot of temperature difference between left and right side of touchpad . I switched to coolest mode in Coolsense and within 5 minutes the whole laptop was cool... I mean cooler than my body temperature

Still I would suggest you to go for HP with cooling pad instead of Dell XPS if you are planning for GPU intensive tasks

reddead

LoSt!
Heating issues have partly been solved by HP Coolsense technology and I can say it works. Yesterday while playing games with ATI card for 1 hr in non ac room i could feel a lot of temperature difference between left and right side of touchpad . I switched to coolest mode in Coolsense and within 5 minutes the whole laptop was cool... I mean cooler than my body temperature

Still I would suggest you to go for HP with cooling pad instead of Dell XPS if you are planning for GPU intensive tasks

wow! didn't know about that,tell me more about it,how does it work?
was this technology included in previous notebooks also??

Top Bottom