the Arch Linux thread

nims11

BIOS Terminator
Why use an abstraction layer when you can port a game to opengl? An abstraction layer won't give good performance.

ya dota2 performance sucks and using wine gives better performance. But porting will be a tougher job and valve can perhaps use the same abstraction layer for other existing games as well.

sharang.d

Youngling
Can anyone give me a copy of a good mirror list for pacman? I am not getting more than 30K/s

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use Leaseweb servers as my default mirrors everywhere. Arch and Debian.

DDIF

Custom User Title
Can anyone give me a copy of a good mirror list for pacman? I am not getting more than 30K/s

Use Indian server. cse.iitk.ac.in. You will get good ping and maximum speed but thia mirror is 9 hours behind other mirrors. Use Vietnamese mirror, fpt.com as secondary mirror.

Here is my mirrorlist:
Code:
## Mirrorlist

## India (Primary Mirror)
Server = *mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
## Vietnam (Secondary)
Server = *mirror-fpt-telecom.fpt.net/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
## United States (Frequent Updates)
#Server = *mirror.rit.edu/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch

Last edited:

DDIF

Custom User Title
^ don't use IITK lol. That mirror sucks.

I get more than 500 KB/s on iitk. Whichever connection I use I get max speed on iitk. Dunno why you don't like it.
But mostly when I need fast critical updates I use RIT mirror.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember downloading some corrupt packages from them and discontinuous downloads. lol.

DDIF

Custom User Title
I remember downloading some corrupt packages from them and discontinuous downloads. lol.

All mirrors are using rsync push that means files are same on each one. Well, anyway everyone has different preferences. [MENTION=138121]sharang.d[/MENTION] try the three mirrors I provided and see what speed can you get.
Or you could try powerpill.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Guys, I need some help.

I managed to install Arch on my VirtualBox VM. I have installed all the necessary packages for gdm and even got it to run.

Now, whenever I login as a normal user, I get a black screen with only the cursor visible. No icons nothing. But I can operate normally if I login with root.

How do I get my normal user to login?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
It starts at startup so yeah, I did that.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I am unable to login as a normal user at all. I even tried creating a new user but after entering my username and password I come back to the login screen.

DDIF

Custom User Title
Oh, IDK, to be honest I have never come across this kind of problem and I am using Arch on three machines. I haven't used it with VM so may there is something with VM installation. Try in Arch Forums or in Arch IRC channel.
Try to create a user like this:
Code:
useradd -m -g users -G lp,wheel,audio,video,power -s /bin/bash desmond
And then
Code:
passwd desmond

Arch IRC channel is #archlinux

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
While attempting to login as a normal user, after entering the username and password, I see some console text for a split second before it returns me to the login screen. If there is some problem, I am unable to read it. Do you know where this is logged?

- - - Updated - - -

Please tell me the URL for the Arch IRC.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I logged in as root and attempted to remove my normal user account. I got the following :

Code:
userdel: user desmond is currently in use by process 503

I did a "ps aux" and got this:

Code:
desmond    503  0.0  0.2  26824  2864 ?        Ss   15:01   0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --user

How do I kill this process?

- - - Updated - - -

So many people online on the #archlinux IRC but [strike]not a single helper[/strike] so slow responses. :(

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I had faced a similar problem with gnome. I used to use xterm instead. Replaced gnome with LXDM now.

Top Bottom