suggest a tiny htpc config

RageshAntony

In the zone
I recently bought a led tv (720p). I need a small htpc for it
What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: just for 720p movies playback

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 8000

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: tiny linux distros such as kodi based

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I will boot from a usb 2.0 64 gb pendrive

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: i have my led tv

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: none

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: By end of this month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: yes

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: madurai , Tamil nadu .. can buy online

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
My need is just to play 720p movies in VLC. So I dont need any HD acceleration configs since I dont going to play Blu-rays .
So I want a config with atom processors and 4 gb ram

----------
2) Is there is any htpc boxes with dvd player that capable of running linux that is it must serve as a basic pc also .

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I don't know if there is a way to fit brand new PC in this budget. Though I have come across few threads in TE, don't remember much. As far as I remember these are some of the ideas suggested, I remember.

Compute sticks
NUC
Raspberry Pi

If you don't like the above choices and you sure want DVD player, then Used PC is the option.

If you want a brand new PC, then something like Celeron, Sempron, Athlon, A4 series APU with compatible motherboard and 2 gigs of memory would cost about 6k (at least). DVD writer and generic cabinet with PSU would cost about 2k. And KB and mouse would cost few hundreds. Still seems like it's going out of your budget and esp. in your place things would cost more than metros.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amazon.in: Buy Gigabyte GA-J1800M-D3P Motherboard (Built in Celeron J1800 - 2.41 Ghz Dual Core Processor/ DDR3 / D-SUB & HDMI / PCIE X16) Online at Low Prices in India | Gigabyte Reviews & Ratings
add 4gb DDR3 ram for around 2000,generic cabinet for ~500 & generic psu for ~700.Though I can't say about availability of linux drivers for everything.

iSLaND

Broken In
No need of anything. I think usb port on your led tv will play 720p x264 very fine.

edit: ok missed last line.. Basic PC...
Only Pi3 / used NUC in your budget.

Top Bottom