Review of Sharp AH-XP18MV 1.5Ton Eco-Inverter Air Conditioner

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
If the Sharp engineer is telling so I believe it should be true. Generally these people have a tendency to make you buy bigger tonnage unnecessarily.

ajith262matrix

Right off the assembly line
2) Corrosion protection: The corrosion potential with the all aluminum micro-channel coil is significantly lower than in copper/aluminum (bi-metal) RTPF coils as there are no dissimilar metals to initiate galvanic corrosion. This makes micro-channel coils an inherently better solution for coastal installations or any application where corrosion may be a concern.

Well written article save for the above quote which to the best of my knowledge and experience is factually wrong. Let me try and explain why:

Corrosion can be due to various reasons.The most common type of environmental corrosion are due to 2 processes - oxidation and other chemical reactions , particularly chlorine attack. As far as oxidation is concerned,copper is more cathodic ( more noble) than aluminium and hence more resistant to oxidation. This is a a fact but does not give the complete picture. This is because even though Aluminium is more prone to oxidation, a layer of aluminium oxide is formed which protects the metal from further oxidation. In the case of copper to, even though it is more stable to oxidation a green layer of oxides of copper are formed, again protecting the underlying metal. So oxidation perse is not a major problem.

The villain is chlorine attack. Aluminium is highly susceptible to chlorination while copper is inert. Furthermore chlorine dissolves the aluminium oxide formed thus exposing the metal to both oxidation and chlorination. Oxides of copper are stable to chlorine attack and hence the corrosion is minimal.

If you observe aluminium ( especially utensils and pressure cooker) you find black pits. This is actually an attack by the salt used in cooking to exposed aluminium ( where aluminium oxides have not formed). The pits become larger and larger exposing underlying metal ( previously protected by oxide formation) to chlorination, leading to flaking and powdering. So chlorination literally rots aluminium.

The above is very true in coastal areas. I have worked in Florida as an HVAC and utilities engineer and where the climate is more or less like India- heat, salt content and humidity. I have seen Trane aluminium coils rotting after 18 months of buying AC and this was one reason for Trane to come out with copper coils. The problem became so wide that people despite the danger of copper coils getting stolen would rather prefer the same after building reinforced cabinets to prevent theft !!

I am not sure where Mr. Guru got the information,he has not cited a source,but if it from Sharp literature, then obviously it is wrong fact and biased. In a nutshell in coastal climates like Mumbai, Kerala, Goa etc. the aluminium coils and fins are likely to rot faster leading to replacement ( unfortunately unlike Copper coils aluminium coils cannot be repaired). I do not know whether Sharp uses some sort of coating ( silicon based or something else) to take care of the problem Even if it did coatings have a tendency to non uniform and subject to wearing out and re-coating coils is next to impossible. For those of you who are scientifically inclined, I can provide an article link- *www.electrochemsci.org/papers/vol7/7097877.pdf. If you need more, please do ask ( need to hunt out old textbooks.

Not withstanding the above, this is an excellent review and thanks

icebags

Technomancer
waiting for rishiguru's reply...

any one replyyy

kolkata isn't seaside, their ain't much chlorine, if u ask for ur purpose.

and aluminum is the lighter metal, therefore oxide layer has higher chance to get washed out under heavy rainfall after loosing metallic integrity, i think. *l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/39.gif

Last edited:

ajith262matrix

Right off the assembly line
kolkata isn't seaside, their ain't much chlorine, if u ask for ur purpose.

and aluminum is the lighter metal, therefore has higher chance to get washed out under heavy rainfall after loosing metallic integrity, i think. *l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/39.gif

No...no. !! Aluminium is a wonderful metal...excellent strength to cost ratio. Mr. Guru in his article is absolutely correct when he says that mono-metal contraptions are better than bi-metal ones. There is no galvanic corrosion. But in addition to galvanic corrosion, there are also other routes of corrosion and various metals behave differently to these factors.

I mentioned Florida only to simulate weather conditions prevailing in India. Trane AC's with aluminium coils and fins last along long time in places like Nevada or NEw Mexico where humidity and atmospheric salt ( chlorine content) is low.

It will not get washed out during heavy rainfall. All metals have their advantages and disadvantages. Furthermore, there is nothing called the ideal metal. And none of them will lose their mechanical integrity overnight. It all is a variable of atmospheric conditions and composition.

" Kolkata isn't seaside "...neither is Delhi, but Aluminium corrosion is very high in Delhi owing to organo-chlorines from diesel smoke !! Furthermore Delhi has 2000 times the permissible levels of Bromine and Iodine, which are equally hazardous to Aluminium !!

Mother nature will ruin your life if you take her lightly !!!!

icebags

Technomancer
thanks for all those wonderful info, i don't think calcutta environment is such corrosive to damage either of copper/aluminum very soon. :)

save copper usage, save humanity, copper salts are poisonous. :D

surya_sapui

In the zone
No...no. !! Aluminium is a wonderful metal...excellent strength to cost ratio. Mr. Guru in his article is absolutely correct when he says that mono-metal contraptions are better than bi-metal ones. There is no galvanic corrosion. But in addition to galvanic corrosion, there are also other routes of corrosion and various metals behave differently to these factors.

I mentioned Florida only to simulate weather conditions prevailing in India. Trane AC's with aluminium coils and fins last along long time in places like Nevada or NEw Mexico where humidity and atmospheric salt ( chlorine content) is low.

It will not get washed out during heavy rainfall. All metals have their advantages and disadvantages. Furthermore, there is nothing called the ideal metal. And none of them will lose their mechanical integrity overnight. It all is a variable of atmospheric conditions and composition.

" Kolkata isn't seaside "...neither is Delhi, but Aluminium corrosion is very high in Delhi owing to organo-chlorines from diesel smoke !! Furthermore Delhi has 2000 times the permissible levels of Bromine and Iodine, which are equally hazardous to Aluminium !!

Mother nature will ruin your life if you take her lightly !!!!

The main reason not to use it is because aluminum is really hard to fix when there is a leak. It is possible to repair but the odds of having to replace the coil instead of brazing it, is high.
The aluminum coil is not the key to fixing all of our heating and air conditioning problems but it looks like it is a step in the right direction.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
You guys are worrying too much about corrosion. It happens for all metal. Aluminum is used to make car engines so the metal aint a joke. The leak happens only at at places where aluminum and copper tubing joins.Now previously the technique of adding nickel to the joints werent present hence lot of leaks were reported.But now its a thing of the past. Vacuuming the pipes is a must too since oxygen and R 410a dosnt go good together can react and cause leaks.

Thats it..... Im using an all aluminum Trane in Jeddah a seaside city goes 45C and some more...wheres the leak?

surya_sapui

In the zone
You guys are worrying too much about corrosion. It happens for all metal. Aluminum is used to make car engines so the metal aint a joke. The leak happens only at at places where aluminum and copper tubing joins.Now previously the technique of adding nickel to the joints werent present hence lot of leaks were reported.But now its a thing of the past. Vacuuming the pipes is a must too since oxygen and R 410a dosnt go good together can react and cause leaks.

Thats it..... Im using an all aluminum Trane in Jeddah a seaside city goes 45C and some more...wheres the leak?

thanks for reply but can u pls tell us how many years do you use the sharp ac ???

surya_sapui

In the zone
Its gonna be 9 months of more than 12 hrs a day usage...somedays its non stop 24 hrs!

guys i contact with for price

Kolkata - 700064
AA-34 Salt lake City, Near PNB Sector-I
Ph : 033-40194926, 033- 40194900 / 20
Mobile : 9831249945
Fax : 033-40194904

they said Sharp AH-XP18MV is around 50k. i don't believe this, is the price correct or where should i contact for best price ???

OP
RishiGuru

RishiGuru

Broken In
Had to share this.

Recently there was an inauguration of a small air conditioning shop in one of my friend’s locality. He insisted me to join him as he was out to buy a 1.5 Ton Inverter air conditioner. He was settled to go with my 1.5 Ton Sharp Inverter air conditioners after experiencing their phenomenal cooling performance at offer in my home, but still I firmly insisted him to have a look at other brands as well. One fine weekend we arrived at the shop and found it a brand shop who sells household air conditioners for only one brand, that of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

As all may well know Mitsubishi Heavy Industries make some of the best household and industrial air conditioners in the world and are one of the best there is. They also supply components to other brands. Their air conditioners are cutting edge in terms of design and technology used. Also they are said to be very reliable having premium quality and comes fully imported.

Firstly I want to say what set this shop apart from others is in their display section having not only the indoor units but most importantly also the outdoor units. They sell only split air conditioners in India. You can touch them in display section and feel the quality of engineering and build quality that went into it. I am even fascinated by the quality of the fan grill of their Inverter outdoor units. Extremely high build quality standards to say the least.

Secondly there is also a separate display section, where each component of the air conditioner is displayed. You can find their own compressors, condensers, expansion valves, the electronic control modules etc. A rare sight.

Thirdly their small shop is cooled by one of their own 1 Ton Inverter air conditioners, but the beauty is there is special meter installed in the shop just by its side which is constantly monitoring and computing the amount of current, voltage and watts consumed by the Inverter air conditioner in real time. It gives their customer a glimpse of the Inverter technology employed in air conditioners, and the amount of electricity this technology saves during partial throttling mode.

Finally I had to talk about the only person present there who attended us. He had a genuine knowledge about their products and talks deep in the technical level, the technology used in each of their sub components like compressors, condensers, pulse linear expansion valves and electronic modules and their distinct advantages over their competitors. No wonder why my Sharp Inverter's uses their DC compressor. I liked his genuine professional approach and through knowledge. He was not an average salesman whose knowledge is limited to the number of brands, tonnage and price.

In the end I will say Mitsubishi Heavy Industries air conditioners happen to be one of the top tier products, in my eyes the best there is. Unfortunately this type of cutting edge technology and product quality comes at a price and no doubt their products are prohibitively expensive. Their 1 Ton inverter will cost INR 39K while there 1.5 Ton inverter will take you north of INR 59K. If you had the money, buy these as quality of engineering just oozes from their products.

Though my Sharp AH-XP18MV, 1.5 Ton Inverter air conditioner at INR 41K may be the best VFM there is in 1.5 Ton Inverter category, these mitshu’s seems to be even better performance wise. I insisted by friend to buy them but as always the buffer seemed to be the steep INR 59K asking price. Moreover my friend being less of an engineer and more of an accountant is more concerned about performance per rupee and Sharp's are still a champion on this aspect in Inverter segment. Still I hope he changes his mind and go with the mitshu’s. If I had that kind of money I would have definitely gone that way.

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Even their non inverter 1.5 ton 4 stars are very high quality with high efficiency. I almost bought one had I not come across the Sharp and Mitsubishi Heavys bad bad after sales support.Last year they had no brandshop and the after sales was supported by dealers,who just loves to forget you after you have bought it. Their legendry bad after sales is all over the net. I hope things have improved now.The bad after sales support is a reason why the Mitsubishi Electric acs does better over Mitsubishi Heavy acs.

Last edited:

gohan89

Broken In
@RishiGuru @The Incinerator

I would like to know how good are the Panasonic Inverter ACs compared to Sharp.They have a sensor which senses the sunlight and also the amount of people in the room and adjusts the cooling automatically to save power.
DOes the Sharp Inverter ACs have these feature sof sensing people's presence or absence?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Those are features that are absolutely rubbish. All inverter acs check ambience and cools accordingly,nothing special in that.For eg I have experimented and found out that if your Sharps ODU is out in the sun it consumes atleast .2/.3 Kw more ,but if its under a shade it consumes less. Even when on a hot day if you spray water over its condenser it will immediately consume less Kw. So in that way Sharp senses everything from Sun to Rain!

$hadow

Geek in making
Those are features that are absolutely rubbish. All inverter acs check ambience and cools accordingly,nothing special in that.For eg I have experimented and found out that if your Sharps ODU is out in the sun it consumes atleast .2/.3 Kw more ,but if its under a shade it consumes less. Even when on a hot day if you spray water over its condenser it will immediately consume less Kw. So in that way Sharp senses everything from Sun to Rain!
This spraying of water applies to only inverter based units or normal split AC?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
I havnt checked with normal ACs,I checked only the Sharp since it has power consumption display on the indoor unit,which showed lesser value as soon as the condenser was sprayed with water.Thats for experiment only to check the responsiveness of the inverter mainboard and its fuzzy logic towards variations in outdoor temps, its not something you should do to bring down power consumption,not advisable at all.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont think normal acs will react at all since its principles are different.

ashar

New to this forum
thanks a lot...
after reading ur so detailed review..
i have also bought sharp 1.1 ton inverter a.c for my room

Top Bottom