Regarding Windows 10 license

BhargavJ

In the zone
I bought a Dell laptop in 2015 from Dubai that came with Windows 8 pre-installed. I upgraded it to Win 8.1 and then Win 10. The license is in the BIOS itself. I want to change the DVD drive. I've read that only a change in motherboard affects the license, but I'd still like to be sure about this. Changing the DVD drive won't affect the license, will it?

Secondly, I've read that if the license becomes void, you have to call MS customer care. If I bought a laptop from Dubai, and have been using it in India for all this time, can I still call MS for the license, or is the customer care only for those who bought Win 10 in India?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I bought a Dell laptop in 2015 from Dubai that came with Windows 8 pre-installed. I upgraded it to Win 8.1 and then Win 10. The license is in the BIOS itself. I want to change the DVD drive. I've read that only a change in motherboard affects the license, but I'd still like to be sure about this. Changing the DVD drive won't affect the license, will it?

Secondly, I've read that if the license becomes void, you have to call MS customer care. If I bought a laptop from Dubai, and have been using it in India for all this time, can I still call MS for the license, or is the customer care only for those who bought Win 10 in India?
The Microsoft Open License, Open Value, and Open Value Subscription programs (the Open Programs) allow customers to share agreements and accompanying benefits—such as price levels, centralized license management, and license transfer — with their legal Affiliates throughout a Defined Region. Consolidation of purchase, license transfer, and sublicensing are not allowed beyond the Defined Region boundaries identified below. The term “Affiliate” is defined in the relevant Open Program agreement.
Source:Microsoft Volume Licensing - Microsoft Open Programs Affiliate Participation Policy
In other words you can use the license in India as well but need to call the MS Customer Care in order to validate it.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
changing the DVD drive or any other parts apart from Motherboard won't void your license.
u can even purchase and install retail copy without any issues.

Top Bottom