Power supply blacklist thread for newbies

hitesh

In the zone
Corsair VS450 would be the cheapest option, which you'll get around 2300-2400.
Better get a cx430. It is better

Hello, I have seen these 3 models-

Corsair- VS 450

Gigabyte PoweRock Power Supply, True 550W 550 Watt SMPS

Cooler Master Thunder 450W 450 Watts PSU

All coming under Rs 2700. But coolermaster do not have a service center here in Bhubaneswar and Corsair has and Gigabyte(may be). But i want to know which would be the good value for money starting with the lowest.

My specs-

i3 second generation 2100

PH 61 Asus

4 GB DDR3 Ram

500 Gb Sata HDD

20 inch LED monitor

Graphics card- HD 6670 or GTS 450

Thanks. I have although decided for Corsair VS 450 because it has the service center facility but still i would like to know your view.

Same answer , cx430

nickreynold

Journeyman
Better get a cx430. It is better

Same answer , cx430

Hello, Please tell me about the same about-

i3 2nd generation 2120+ HD 7750.

How come CX 430 V2 is better than VS 450 as its 20 watts less. Sorry for asking but i am new at these kind of power supply as i have been using cheap PSU for my old pc for a long time.

In every case VS450 or CX430V2 will suffice.
But if you haven't bought any components yet, I think you should serious consider against buying i5-750. Its EOLed ~1 year ago.

Thanks but I have not decided yet. I think in my budget for causal gaming and computing, I should stick to i3 2nd generation 2120.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
not going into technical details consider it like this: pentium G620 dual core 2.6GHz(based on same architecture as core i 2xxxx sandybridge series) is faster than older 3GHz core2duo.corsair CX series is technically superior than VS series which is a budget model made specifically for India/China region(VS450 is not available globally but CX series is).

P.S.by CX series i mean CXV2.the original CX series was not as good & to protect its image corsair launched V2 of CX series.

nickreynold

Journeyman
Hello friends,

After a lots of discussion and helping from friends like you here, I purchased the Corsair CX430V2 for my yet to be built new PC. Since it is not available locally, I had to ask my brother to bring it from Neheru place, new delhi and he purchased it today's evening. I asked him to look for VS 450 and CX430 V2 models as these models were suggested in mu budget. The prices were Rs 2050 and Rs 2350 respectively plus 5% service tax. I choose the later and asked him to see whether its V2 model or not. The shopkeeper told him its the V2 model and i asked him to see the sticker on the power supply which he said is written as- Builder series V2. The item was seal packed but when my brother told that he will be taking it outside delhi, the person tested the power supply by running it. It cost me Rs 2500( 2350 plus 5% tax plus 2% for card swipe). He will be bringing it to Bhubaneswar on 19th. So, now i have to decide which graphics card to buy. My choices are-

1) HD 6670 most probably

2) HD 6770 may be

3) HD 7750 not sure

4) GTS 450 not sure

I am not a avid gamer so I think 1 or 2 would be suffice for my causal gaming needs. But I see if there is not much price difference between these cards( lets say 500-1000) I may switch to 3 or 4. But the problem is whether my power supply will be able to handle it or not. I took the PSU test at MSI and Coolermaster website and the results are below-

My config-

i3 2nd generation 2120

4/8 GB DDR3 Ram( I tested for 2 sticks i.e 8GB)

500GB sata HDD

20 inch LED monitor(i ball/Samsung/Dell)

USB 2.0 1 TB HDD( earlier used to back up data as my old HDD was only 40 GB but now i may not need it regularly as i used earlier but still i checked for this too. Luckily I got it for RS 3500 as the stocks were not selling but after i bought due to the shortage of HDD, the same were sold for Rs 5500. This needed both USB cable to transfer and additional power via adapter. Brand Buffalo. Now it has became slow and sent for repairs costing me all my data loss but after 1 yr of rigorous use )

USB DVD RW Buffalo which i wont be using as i will have internal DVD RW from Asus.

I don't know the CPU code as stated in MSI website for testing but lets say these are the results(in watts)-minimum

HD 6670- MSI- N/A Coolermaster-263

HD 6770- MSI- N/A Coolermaster-298

HD 7750- MSI-N/A Coolermaster-265 it consumes less power which surprises me

GTS 450- MSI-N/A Coolermaster- 309

N/A- non avaliability of code for i3 2nd generation 2120 processor
I am hearing that ATI may cut prices so I may wait for few days but I want to decide before hand so that I can buy at that time. I inquired about the prices of HD series and the person at abacus peripherals who is the dealer and service provider here said the only one card is here which is Powercolor HD 7770 priced at Rs 9000(after inquiring that whether i am a shop owner or individual) which is I think out of my budget and needs. I have to search other shops too and talk to my dealer also if he can get me one. otherwise i will go online and prices at filpkart or ebay are-

HD 6670- Rs 6000-6500

HD 6770- Rs 7200-7500

HD 7750- Rs 8200-8500

GTS- Rs 8200-Rs 8500

Please let me know the cards best for me in value, power consumption and performance starting from the lowest. A big thanks to all.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
cx430v2 is enough even for gts450 though if you are a casual gamer gts450 will be an overkill.for a casual play of titles like call of duty & some racing games even a 6670 should suffice at medium settings but if you are not sure about future then go with radeon 7xxx series.

P.S.radeon 6670 should be available for ~5200 in nehru place.

hitesh

In the zone
@rickreynold
cx430 v2 will handle all of the cards mentioned . Also the price of gts450 is not justified so you had be better off getting 7770 as suggested by d6bmg
You can search for a 6790 too. Almost equal to 7770 and around 1k cheaper

@whitestar - GTS 450 wouldn't be an overkill. Would just be adequate

nickreynold

Journeyman
Sapphire HD7770 @8.2K
Search for it and if you can find it buy it.

The Price in my city as mentioned in my comment is Rs 9000/- and its from powercolor brand. i am trying to see whether i can find another brand for this with a price cut. I live in bhubaneswar and normally the shopkeepers do not keep high end cards as they dont sell much. They sell 2GB DDR3 at Rs 3200 and people who do not know much about card fancies about the 2GB and buys as its almost 5k cheaper. The problem happens afterwards when they face problem when try to run everything on it. By the way, the price you quoted is from which shop or site? I know its not from Bhubaneswar but just want to know. Thanks

cx430v2 is enough even for gts450 though if you are a casual gamer gts450 will be an overkill.for a casual play of titles like call of duty & some racing games even a 6670 should suffice at medium settings but if you are not sure about future then go with radeon 7xxx series.

P.S.radeon 6670 should be available for ~5200 in nehru place.

Thanks for information but i think as suggested I will surely go for future proof and may settle for HD7770 or HD 7750 depending upon the price. I do not know why but i had liking for HD series but the shop owners tell me to go for nvidia. May be its the brand name here in the bhubaneswar market and people know much about nvidia through its fancy advertisements and shopkeepers stock them in much. I am not saying nvidia is not good but so is ATI. Its just like Intel and AMD both having good products but people prefer Intel because they are much aware of only this brand. By the way what is a overkill? One of my teacher hand quad processor and cheap supercomp smps with 8 gb DDR3 ram and GTS 450 but he complained that the system was shutting down or not running well. After he bought Zebronics 600w power supply(Not his fault though as after inquiring 2-3 good shops, they said Zebronics is the only they had or i ball 500 watt both priced at Rs 2300 and Rs 2100 respectively or the cheap ones from Rs 450-750).He bought Zebronics and he said that his system is running well now. He uses Adobe CS 5.5 for all video editing work like Premiere Pro, After Effects, Maya 2012, 3dsmax 2012 and other video editing softwares.

@rickreynold
cx430 v2 will handle all of the cards mentioned . Also the price of gts450 is not justified so you had be better off getting 7770 as suggested by d6bmg
You can search for a 6790 too. Almost equal to 7770 and around 1k cheaper

@whitestar - GTS 450 wouldn't be an overkill. Would just be adequate

Thanks but as mentioned the powercolor brand is there @Rs 9000/- but i will search for other brands if possible. Also i may wait for price cut rumors by ATI if its true. Is HD 6790 is a future proof card and also good for my config,need for causal gaming and power supply. I will update about the availability of other cards locally and also their prices and then ask for your suggestion. Well, i can get them online too but the chances are bargain is low and if you buy locally then if some warranty problem occurs you can simply hand over the card to the dealer and he takes it to service otherwise you have to search for service center of you own and take care of everything. I bought a 1 TB buffalo external powered HDD cheap and it developed problem. The shopkeeper said the service can be found locally but he had to send it to Chennai via courier after contacting with the company. I hope to get a replacement.

@ico can u tell me the price of tempest evo and a good shop in nehru place delhi _________________sorry for off topic !!!!!!!

I think you should check these links out. The second link was the shop from which my brother bought the Corsair CX 430 V2(although i was planning for VS 450 initially which is also available)with reasonable price of Rs 2500(tax paid 5% and card charges 2%). The shopkeeper showed my brother the Corsair builder series V2 sticker for conformation and also ran the power supply when my brother said he will be taking it for use outside New Delhi.I hope it helps.

*www.npithub.com/

*nehruplaceitzone.com/products.php?cid=204
(its graphics card page but you can search for your item from left side bar)

Another shop at neheru place-

*www.smcinternational.in/

If you cant find your product just give them a call and they will let you know because sometimes they do not update the website.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
by overkill i meant someone who plays games for few hours in a week & does not concern himself much with visual/eye candy setting(medium is fine,no high/ultra).however if one intends to play latest titles just a few days/weeks after the launch & with reasonable visual effects with at least 1366*768 resolution then a good mid-range card like 6850 or equivalent is must.

p.s. PL Computers is the only shop along with one other in entire nehru place which stock corsair smps & depending on luck FSP saga(i bought FSP saga II 400W from there).

nickreynold

Journeyman
by overkill i meant someone who plays games for few hours in a week & does not concern himself much with visual/eye candy setting(medium is fine,no high/ultra).however if one intends to play latest titles just a few days/weeks after the launch & with reasonable visual effects with at least 1366*768 resolution then a good mid-range card like 6850 or equivalent is must.

p.s. PL Computers is the only shop along with one other in entire nehru place which stock corsair smps & depending on luck FSP saga(i bought FSP saga II 400W from there).

I was lucky too to find out PL computer shop on the net with all contact details and address and guided my brother there. otherwise he would have to run around shops inquiring about Corsair brand and the specific CX 430 V2 model. You metinoned HD 6850 but i think it would a over budget for me(earlier my budget was 5k for 2GB DDR3 but now I have extened it to 8k or max 8.5k). As i am not that much avid gamer and used to play games at 800*600 resolution on 15" screen, you could imagine the high leap i will be taking. So i think at average resolution would do for me.I think HD 6850 costs above 10k. I may settle for 6770 or 7770 although i have to be sure about price. what do you say?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
then 7770 looks good.sapphire 7770 is available for ~8600 in nehru place(cost2cost,they have moved btw to bigger showroom at 1st Floor, Farm Bhawan, 14-15) & msi 7770 OC edition is available for ~8200 at smcinternational.

Last edited:

nickreynold

Journeyman
then 7770 looks good.sapphire 7770 is available for ~8600 in nehru place(cost2cost,they have moved btw to bigger showroom at 1st Floor, Farm Bhawan, 14-15) & msi 7770 OC edition is available for ~8200 at smcinternational.

Thanks for the info about both the cards. I will keep those cards and shop names in mind so that if I can not get good brands locally or the price is higher, I may ask my brother to go to these shops personally and bring me the card next time he comes home(probably around Jan 2013).

nickreynold

Journeyman

I think I may opt for MSI OC edition because it has service center here in bhubaneswar. But I am not sure about sapphire although the price difference is negligible. Also I am looking for Asus HD 7770 DC 1 GB DDR5 version which is more costlier. Msi have an advantage of two fans.By the way what is next upgrade for i3 2nd gen 2120, I mean i5 quad core or dual core.(Please tell me the name of the processors and price if you know them).Also will the i5 quad or dual+Asus P8H61+8GB DDR3+22 inch LED+HD 7770(OC or plain) will be Ok for my Corsair CX430V2 to handle? Thanks

Last edited:

chethanr

Broken In
I bought Corsair CX 430 4 month ago and now it stopped working. Smoke like PC is on fire. I contacted thier support via email and told them that I am located in india and how I can get the service. This is what they have to say(Casual and irresponsible reply) I seriously doubt their reputation. :::

Dear Chethan,

Thank you for contacting Corsair Customer Service.

The closest shipping hub from your location is in Hong Kong. As per the Corsair Warranty, customers are required to pay shipping and handling charges, as well as any applicable tariffs, duties, taxes and fees necessary to convey the defective item back to Corsair for replacement or exchange. Corsair pays for the replaced item’s outbound shipping to you. We recommend shipping your item via the most economical method which provides a tracking number, as Corsair is not responsible for any lost or misdirected shipments. You may be required to pay shipping and handling charges, as well as any applicable tariffs, duties, taxes, or other fees.Cor

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns.

Thank you for choosing Corsair.

Regards,

Justin G.
Customer Service Representative
Corsair
Corsair

It would cost me more than the product itself to ship this **** from my place to Hong Kong (FedEx says 3500+ Rupees)and I really don't know if it will reach them and they will send a replacement. So never buy Corsair. If it dosn't work, you just have to through it. So my advice never buy Corsair products. Spread the word!

shaiban001

Broken In
I bought Corsair CX 430 4 month ago and now it stopped working. Smoke like PC is on fire. I contacted thier support via email and told them that I am located in india and how I can get the service. This is what they have to say(Casual and irresponsible reply) I seriously doubt their reputation. :::

Dear Chethan,

The closest shipping hub from your location is in Hong Kong. As per the Corsair Warranty, customers are required to pay shipping and handling charges, as well as any applicable tariffs, duties, taxes and fees necessary to convey the defective item back to Corsair for replacement or exchange. Corsair pays for the replaced item’s outbound shipping to you. We recommend shipping your item via the most economical method which provides a tracking number, as Corsair is not responsible for any lost or misdirected shipments. You may be required to pay shipping and handling charges, as well as any applicable tariffs, duties, taxes, or other fees.Cor

Regards,

Justin G.
Corsair
Corsair

It would cost me more than the product itself to ship this **** from my place to Hong Kong (FedEx says 3500+ Rupees)and I really don't know if it will reach them and they will send a replacement. So never buy Corsair. If it dosn't work, you just have to through it. So my advice never buy Corsair products. Spread the word!

I don't know why everybody is talking about Corsair on this thread? Isn't there any indian brand for the same? I doubt about that. Corsair like brand may be good in their field but the real problem comes when problem comes. Nobody will take responsibility for it. Who will bear charges for dispatching them outside country or even if your dealer send it there then will you wait for that time to get replacement? Service is main concern for everything.
I have used iBall's service that is superb.
So please use only PSU's that have good service in India. It should solve the matter within time frame max 15 days. Otherwise a big no no. No hard feelings please.
Thanks.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!

Dear Chethan,

Regards,

Justin G.
Corsair
Corsair

That's causing a big concern for me. I never pondered over getting service, that too by shipping the PSU out of the country. Thanks for the info. Any comments, Anyone?

Top Bottom