Official Android discussion thread

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Which phone you have? Factory resetting the phone is usually done by starting the phone with a 2 or 3 button press maneuver that takes you to a bootloader menu from where you can reset the device and varies with each phone model. In general these combinations works to get you to bootloader menu:
Power button + Vol Up
Power button + Vol Down
Power button + Vol Up + Vol Down ...

If you are not rooting the phone, then you can't remove the System Apps. If you have Nexus, Moto phones, those have very few apps to begin with so you don't need to worry.
If you have a phone which have lots of bloat then only way to remove them is to reset the phone and do what SaiyanGoku mentioned.

Its my mom's galaxy which has space issues. I am ok with the bloat. Reset will be done from settings-backup and reset-factory data reset

Last time she reset and signed into her google account, the old image was restored and she faced space issues again. So what is needed right now is that it does not restore its old image on reset.. thats it

Last edited:

sinhead

Broken In
Its my mom's galaxy .Reset will be done from settings-backup and reset-factory data reset.... the old image was restored

I am facing this problem too (samsung phone). Looking forward to a solution. Factory reset did not result in a factory fresh state which I was expecting. Lots of earlier data remained.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Last time she reset and signed into her google account, the old image was restored and she faced space issues again. So what is needed right now is that it does not restore its old image on reset.. thats it

Not sure what you mean by "old image". Reset "resets" your device, that is all user installed apps with data are gone. It also means that the system apps are also reset.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Not sure what you mean by "old image". Reset "resets" your device, that is all user installed apps with data are gone. It also means that the system apps are also reset.

Well, I'll explain it further. Once you have factory reset it and the phone restarts, you get the initial setup wizard. The phone prompts you to enter your google account. Once you have, it asks you whether you want to enable google backup for photos and apps. We selected yes.
After that, it will ask you to choose whether you want to restore the old phone image from google drive? The image will be most probably a day old. Here we had two options - to choose the image we want to restore or select later. We chose later.

Right now it was showing over 50% internal memory as free.

But after a while all the old apps + everything came back and we are back to 9% free storage.

How do I not have this happen? I only want the contacts back and want to enable photos backup. Dont want apps backup any more. Thats it.

Tell me if this helps or you need further details?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Well, I'll explain it further. Once you have factory reset it and the phone restarts, you get the initial setup wizard. The phone prompts you to enter your google account. Once you have, it asks you whether you want to enable google backup for photos and apps. We selected yes.
After that, it will ask you to choose whether you want to restore the old phone image from google drive? The image will be most probably a day old. Here we had two options - to choose the image we want to restore or select later. We chose later.

Right now it was showing over 50% internal memory as free.

But after a while all the old apps + everything came back and we are back to 9% free storage.

How do I not have this happen? I only want the contacts back and want to enable photos backup. Dont want apps backup any more. Thats it.

Tell me if this helps or you need further details?

Skip adding the account during initial setup. Add it later when you access the playstore and under settings-> accounts -> Google change respective sync settings. Would be better to set it to manual sync and take regular offline backups to a PC.

justgothere

Broken In
Is there any easy way of transferring image and video files from Xiaomi Mi4 phone to a windows 7 laptop / macbook air by USB CABLE?

regards

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Is there any easy way of transferring image and video files from Xiaomi Mi4 phone to a windows 7 laptop / macbook air by USB CABLE?

regards

From an Android phone just connect Windows 7 laptop by USB and transfer files. There are two modes, mass storage mode, or MTP mode.
With Macbook I am not sure.

You can always use wireless transfer methods like "Remote manager" provided by ES file explorer.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
If you are installing/downloading apps from 3rd party websites or sharing via ShareIt...then I recommend Malwarebytes Antimalware for Android.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Do you believe that all those crap cleaners are really 'needed'?

It is a customer want, not customer need.

Its not about all things a customer need.

There are N number of apps cleaners available but its upto the customer's need if he really wants to use an app or not.

and your point is only emphasizing on a customer and not on his needs...that's what I want to convey.

- - - Updated - - -

But then why so many antivirus softwares out there for android?

Its an open market and all App companies wants to compete.

Top Bottom