Nvidia GTX 460 Discussion

tkin

Back to school!!
idle,as i said before,hovers around the 38-39degrees.

In game,the max i noted after 1hr of Metro 2033 was 67 degrees.

Is that ok?
Its ok but try running warhead maxed out and report load temps, load a map and play for an hour, report temps, that's the max temps you'll get on your gpu(apart from furmark or such but try to stay away from those, members in guru3d just said to me that with such high ambient here I should not run power viruses specially kombustor with unlock power draw on, it can kill your card)

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
just offtopic and curious,
can the GTX460 play metro 2033 in high settings at 1600x900 and physx medium?
does the physx churn too much out of the card?

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

does physx add some serious eyecandy to the gameplay? :)

tkin

Back to school!!
just offtopic and curious,
can the GTX460 play metro 2033 in high settings at 1600x900 and physx medium?
does the physx churn too much out of the card?
Theres no physx low-medium-high, its either on or off and turning it on kills the GTX460, it can play high but physx off, actually you can play it on very high but physx off, otherwise your framerate will take a bad hit(<30).

Not much eye candy, a few spider webs and flags in a specific level swings in air.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
hmm
physx is a badass resource sucker you say?
metro must be a terribly coded game!!
what about physx in games like mass effect2?

p.s.
we are royally screwed if crytek decides to go physx in crysis 2!!

tkin

Back to school!!
hmm
physx is a badass resource sucker you say?
metro must be a terribly coded game!!
what about physx in games like mass effect2?

p.s.
we are royally screwed if crytek decides to go physx in crysis 2!!
Mass Effect 2 does not use physx and yes metro is very unoptimized, most used physics engine is now havoc and it runs on cpu only and its owned by intel, so it comes down to the processor.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Metro is also a killer since it has tessellation. Both nVidia and ATI cards have weak tessellator integration on the die. Since it is first release for them. I am able to run Metro just fine, get around 55+ fps, but of course tessellation is not there.

tkin

Back to school!!
Metro is also a killer since it has tessellation. Both nVidia and ATI cards have weak tessellator integration on the die. Since it is first release for them. I am able to run Metro just fine, get around 55+ fps, but of course tessellation is not there.
Actually enabling DX11(tessallation) butchers midrange cards like HD5850/GTX460 etc.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Tkin said:
Mass Effect 2 does not use physx
no, mass effect 2 does use physx
check it on the net! (wikipedia:-D)

Tkin said:
most used physics engine is now havoc and it runs on cpu only and its owned by intel
does havok run on AMD processors,
or is it bound with Intel processors only, like the case of PHYSX?

Asigh said:
Both nVidia and ATI cards have weak tessellator integration on the die. Since it is first release for them.
i heard that GTX 460 has better tessellation capability than HD5850!!:)
isn't the tesselator in GTX460 strong enough to run metro?

rajan1311

Padawan
^Its 30fps at very high, DX11 at 1280x1024. Thats good enough, but only for people like me with a 19" screen ;)

But the bright side is, its better than a 5850 when tessellation is used.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
no, mass effect 2 does use physx
check it on the net! (wikipedia:-D)
Correct, yes it uses nVidia PhysX proprietary. The pack would need to be installed, else the game will not launch.

does havok run on AMD processors,
or is it bound with Intel processors only, like the case of PHYSX?
Havok can run on any CPU. Red Falcon Guerilla and TimeShift used it beautifully.

i heard that GTX 460 has better tessellation capability than HD5850!!:)
isn't the tesselator in GTX460 strong enough to run metro?
[/QUOTE]
Not sure which has the better tessellators, but the HD5850 and HD5870 were beaten by the tessellation of GTX470 and GTX480 respectively. As of now, no GPU is really doing a good job. The polygons get broken down far too much.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Asigh said:
Correct, yes it uses nVidia PhysX proprietary. The pack would need to be installed, else the game will not launch.
does that mean it wont run without physx??:(
if it runs on ati 5xxx cards,
what's the damage in terms of eyecandy?
i.e if physx can be disabled

Piyush

Lanaya

some games setups comes with the physx drivers along with them like borderlands and singularity

it doesnt matter which card u have
u must have those drivers installed on ur system

i tried it once
i uninstalled those drivers and then tried to ru that games
both showed same error(i dont remember the exact words)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

See, basically PhysX (nVidia) is NOT a driver. It is a middle ware engine + SDK which can be used to accelerate on the GPU. Now since these API calls are embedded within the game code (much easier then writing own code to handle Physics) the came "checks" for the necessary engine components (software) before launching, be it ATI GPU or nVidia GPU. Now if there is an nVidia card installed PhysX will render, else it does not. Without PhysX, many say it is fine, others say it is cr$$. Totally depends on personal point-of-view.

What Piyush, said makes total sense. If the pack is not installed game will not launch. I remember trying to play Scorpion Disfigured without the PhysX pack, it never launched. Most games which are nVidia PhysX compatible install the pack as part of the standard installer.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
no what i mean to say is that
games whichhave Physx middleware in them,
can they run in Ati cards with Physx turned off?
i heard that BATMAN AA severely cripples Ati HD5770 cards in physx and non physx both!!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
If ATI GPU, PhysX will not render. The game (which ever) is getting crippled due to some other reason.

Top Bottom