Nvidia GTX 460 Discussion

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ did you returned that card to the shop or sold it to someone ? what did you say to them anyway ?

So at the end of the day here's the summary : If you want a GTX 460 and don't want to gamble with you money stay away from Palit or Zotac and wait for some other manufacturer - if you want a good room heater in the upcoming winter season then you may try those cards anyway :p

BTW, congrats again for the shiny new HD5850 :p

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^ there's nothing wrong with zotac bro... they even offer 5 yrs warranty (2 + 3 after registering on the web)

_

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ did you returned that card to the shop or sold it to someone ? what did you say to them anyway ?

So at the end of the day here's the summary : If you want a GTX 460 and don't want to gamble with you money stay away from Palit or Zotac and wait for some other manufacturer - if you want a good room heater in the upcoming winter season then you may try those cards anyway :p

BTW, congrats again for the shiny new HD5850 :p
Thanks, just played metro 2033 maxed out and no noticeable lags, just awesome and temps stays around 80-83c and the fan goes to only 37%, super quiet.

Answered your question on the other thread(*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/82664-hardware-you-should-not-buy-21.html#post1270804), I returned it, next time I'm gonna get my GPUs imported from singapore(my cousin lives there), i really wanted the gigabyte twin fan GTX460 or the Asus DirectCu GTX460, both are good but not available here.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

^^^ there's nothing wrong with zotac bro... they even offer 5 yrs warranty (2 + 3 after registering on the web)

_
I don't think you'll get full 5yrs here, my EVGA says 10yrs warranty but Tirupati(distro) said they will give 3yrs, same with XFX, they offer double lifetime warranty(10yrs) but here Rashi(distro) gives 3yrs, so make sure to check with the distro first.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^ the country manager of zotac India himself clarified on this 5yr warranty in techenclave forums, so we can be sure about that.

_

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ Rashi or Tirupati or whoever is the distributor won't give a damn to their words. so if something goes wrong, you may need to take it to the manager himself.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^ distributor is aditya infotech and they are much much better than rashi or tirupati.

that guy said after the first 2yr standard warranty, we have to book the rma request online and they will direct the distri (aditya infotech) in the rma process.

_

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ that guy is absolutely wrong.

Zotac offers 2 years standard and 3 years extended total 5 years warranty but to avail the extended warranty you have to register the card on Zotac's website within 14 days of the purchase.

---------- Post added at 05:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

^^ Rashi or Tirupati or whoever is the distributor won't give a damn to their words. so if something goes wrong, you may need to take it to the manager himself.

But it won't be a simple task I'm sure.

Thanks, just played metro 2033 maxed out and no noticeable lags, just awesome and temps stays around 80-83c and the fan goes to only 37%, super quiet.

Answered your question on the other thread(*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/82664-hardware-you-should-not-buy-21.html#post1270804), I returned it, next time I'm gonna get my GPUs imported from singapore(my cousin lives there), i really wanted the gigabyte twin fan GTX460 or the Asus DirectCu GTX460, both are good but not available here.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

I don't think you'll get full 5yrs here, my EVGA says 10yrs warranty but Tirupati(distro) said they will give 3yrs, same with XFX, they offer double lifetime warranty(10yrs) but here Rashi(distro) gives 3yrs, so make sure to check with the distro first.

thanks for posting and I've read that.

So for us local warranty plays a major role other than those big warranty claims.

BTW, do we have to register our purchased products on the manufacturer site to get the 3 years warranty that those distributors are providing.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack

Zotac offers 2 years standard and 3 years extended total 5 years warranty but to avail the extended warranty you have to register the card on Zotac's website within 14 days of the purchase.

yes you have to register the card within 15 days of purchase to avail extra 3 years warranty, but to claim warranty after two years you don't go directly to the distri instead you go through the online route and then to the distri. that was what I was telling. :wink:

_

tkin

Back to school!!

---------- Post added at 05:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

But it won't be a simple task I'm sure.

thanks for posting and I've read that.

So for us local warranty plays a major role other than those big warranty claims.

BTW, do we have to register our purchased products on the manufacturer site to get the 3 years warranty that those distributors are providing.
No need to register, but better if you will, that leaves any holes closed that the distros may exploit.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

yes you have to register the card within 15 days of purchase to avail extra 3 years warranty, but to claim warranty after two years you don't go directly to the distri instead you go through the online route and then to the distri. that was what I was telling. :wink:

_
That can a be a bit painful because for warranties the local distro has the final say here, you may have to mail the card to delhi at your own expense and pay for return shipping.

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
My new fans helped lower the load temp by 2 :cry: degrees C.

*img96.imageshack.us/img96/889/newug.jpg

Seems like I gotta go for a CM Elite 430 soon...

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
That can a be a bit painful because for warranties the local distro has the final say here, you may have to mail the card to delhi at your own expense and pay for return shipping.

you are assuming many things, anyway it is not your fault but the pathetic attitude of many indian distributors :lol:

read these two posts:

[GO] Zotac GTX 460 1GB - Rs 14490/- | Get Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands+ Rs 500 off

[GO] Zotac GTX 460 1GB - Rs 14490/- | Get Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands+ Rs 500 off

_

tkin

Back to school!!
Hey, mukherjee, what is happening with your msi Kombustor(or your GPU)?, I ran mine(the version that ships with MSI afterburner 1.61) and I'm getting average 789FPS, with minimum 722, you are getting minimum 1FPS and average 37???????

See:
*img194.imageshack.us/img194/1727/20100808204055.jpg

Am I missing something?

PS: Theres is nothing to configure the Kombustor right? also Kombustor is just furmark, i remember getting high FPS with my 9800GTX+ AA off, what's the issue? Is your GPU throttling?

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Hey, mukherjee, what is happening with your msi Kombustor(or your GPU)?, I ran mine(the version that ships with MSI afterburner 1.61) and I'm getting average 789FPS, with minimum 722, you are getting minimum 1FPS and average 37???????

Am I missing something?

PS: Theres is nothing to configure the Kombustor right? also Kombustor is just furmark, i remember getting high FPS with my 9800GTX+ AA off, what's the issue? Is your GPU throttling?

I use 1440*900 res with post processing on and unlock power draw on.
Please use these settings to find out.

I use Kombustor v1.1.2 installed separately.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
_

got it but as tkin has said the honesty of local distributor or even the company plays a major role in warranty.

Check out my siggy and you will come to know what I'm trying to say.

No need to register, but better if you will, that leaves any holes closed that the distros may exploit.

yep, I also think that.

which cabby are you using?
what is your fan configuration?

He has Zebroinics Antibiotic cabby if I'm not wrong and it can hold one front , top, side and back 80mm fan.

@ mukherjee - where you will place that 120mm fan you've just bought - are you planning to mod your cabinet or buying a new one ?

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
He has Zebroinics Antibiotic cabby if I'm not wrong and it can hold one front , top, side and back 80mm fan.

@ mukherjee - where you will place that 120mm fan you've just bought - are you planning to mod your cabinet or buying a new one ?

Yes u got that right.

Well, i've placed the new 120mm at front as "in",i have a 120mm at the back as exhaust,and i've replaced the side 80mm fan in exhaust config.

also,a top 80mm is there. Still,temps are high.

IMo,i shud get a new cabby... What say?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Front and back fan placement is correct.

Place the side fan as intake mode and the top fan as exhaust.

See if you can get any improvements in temps.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Just WOW !!!
GTX 460 SLI vs. HD 5850 CrossFireX - GeForce GTX 460 1GB SLI vs. Radeon HD 5850 CFX | [H]ard|OCP
GTX 460 1GB SLI vs. HD 5870 CFX - GeForce GTX 460 1GB SLI vs. Radeon HD 5870 CFX | [H]ard|OCP

GTX 460 SLI rocks :D

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Yes it is really good when running 2x Cards. How much is a GTX460 OC'ed these days...? I guess the tessellation in Dx11 is killing the red cards. nVidia tessellators are better for sure.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
So this is one more reason why we should go with SLi.

it's really awesome to see a approximately 30k gpu setup can beat up a 48k gpu setup :p

Top Bottom