Nvidia GTX 460 Discussion

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
I just wanted to share.
After a 2hr session of Metro 2033 @1600*900 AAA 16xAF,the GPUZ temp showed a max of 67 degrees C!

Thats acceptable by any means and Kombustor or Furmark temps show only the worst case scenario....Isnt it?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a acceptable temp but then again 1600*900 resolution is not that much taxing for the gfx card anyway - if you really want to stress test your gpu by running some game then try running those resource hungry games at 1920*1200

Do you have AC in your room or else in summer season the temp will really go high.

You are running your cpu at stock speed which is 2.13 Ghz but I think this speed is not enough to go with GTX 460 - have you noticed any bottleneck in performance of the gpu ??

Though I would prefer corsair but from the specs it looks like CM 550W is better in +12V rating :p

Corsair Vx550W +12V*41A = 492W
CM GX 550W +12V*44A = 528

Last edited:
OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
That's a acceptable temp but then again 1600*900 resolution is not that much taxing for the gfx card anyway - if you really want to stress test your gpu by running some game then try running those resource hungry games at 1920*1200

Do you have AC in your room or else in summer season the temp will really go high.

You are running your cpu at stock speed which is 2.13 Ghz but I think this speed is not enough to go with GTX 460 - have you noticed any bottleneck in performance of the gpu ??

Though I would prefer corsair but from the specs it looks like CM 550W is better in +12V rating :p

Corsair Vx550W +12V*41A = 492W
CM GX 550W +12V*44A = 528

Point noted.
But from what I've come across in the reviews,the CM series use Sus'con caps rated @ 85deg C,whereas the Corsair VX series uses Nippon Chemicon caps rated @ 105deg C.
Also,the ripple current on the 12V and 5V rails of the CM series are much higher than that of the Corsair series.
Thats why I m in favor of Corsair. Wat say?

N abt the gpu side,no i dont hv an AC,but neither did I hv any probs with d Radeon HD4850(it was a hot card too,remember??).
And,I dont think I'll be gaming @ 1920*1200 soon :D

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

How do you find if the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu?
Isnt 2ghz enuf to feed the gpu?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ mukherjee - I would also like corsair for better quality but I only pointed at the higher +12V rating of CM's GX 550W - but I have not recommended it anyway.

Yep, I can remember the red hot HD4850 - the heating probs was more with the stock coolers but if I can remeber correctly your's palit HD4850 uses a custom cooler instead :p

Get a good cpu cooler Like CM Hyper 212 and OC the cpu to at-least 3 Ghz and if possible beyond that :p

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Bought a Corsair VX550 for 5.1k from M.D. Computers,Kolkata.

How much will CM Hyper 212 set me back by?
Coz i've already empited my piggy bank :( 20k in 2wks time.. :cry:

Also,shud i upgrade to 4gb ddr2 800? my system warranty is over btw,3yrs up! shud the system die,my ddr2 s will be useless...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats !

CM Hyper 212+ ( widely available ) will cost you ~1.8k - you may have to lap this to get the best performance though.

CM Hyper 212 will cost you ~2.4k or so - bought it last year at that price :p

If you are planning to stick with your current rig - OC it and planning to use windows 7 x64 thgen get another stick of 2 GB DDr2 ram.

BTW, in a 32 bit consumer grade OS like windows xp, vista or win 7 you will not be able to use more than 2.75 GB of ram anyway for mobo limitation even if you have 4 GB ram installed but in 64 bit OS the whole 4 GB ram will be usable :p

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Congrats !

CM Hyper 212+ ( widely available ) will cost you ~1.8k - you may have to lap this to get the best performance though.

CM Hyper 212 will cost you ~2.4k or so - bought it last year at that price :p

If you are planning to stick with your current rig - OC it and planning to use windows 7 x64 thgen get another stick of 2 GB DDr2 ram.

BTW, in a 32 bit consumer grade OS like windows xp, vista or win 7 you will not be able to use more than 2.75 GB of ram anyway for mobo limitation even if you have 4 GB ram installed but in 64 bit OS the whole 4 GB ram will be usable :p

So,it remains 2GB then,no 64bit for me :)

Wont the intel stock cooler hold till a 2.4Ghz OC?

Here is the 3dMark Vantage Performance numbers(my old 17" CRT somehow ran!!! :shock: )

*img839.imageshack.us/img839/4685/3dvp.jpg

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ The test requires 1280*1024 resolution and a normal 17 inch monitor supports 1280*1024 resolution very well :p

The stock cooler can reach upto 2.6 - 2.8 GHz - depends on the season ie summer winter etc. - I don't recommend anything above with a stock cooler.

BTW, if you are going to use the stock cooler then load test your OC speed and temps using orthos/Prime 95 along with Realtemp or coretemp. Another good app is OCCT.

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
^^ The test requires 1280*1024 resolution and a normal 17 inch monitor supports 1280*1024 resolution very well :p

The stock cooler can reach upto 2.6 - 2.8 GHz - depends on the season ie summer winter etc. - I don't recommend anything above with a stock cooler.

BTW, if you are going to use the stock cooler then load test your OC speed and temps using orthos/Prime 95 along with Realtemp or coretemp. Another good app is OCCT.

Well. I unlinked the FSB & DRAM clocks,then upped the QDR FSB to 1200 Mhz to get 2.4Ghz clock(up from 2.13Ghz).
Heres a CPUZ link

Go

I used Prime95 alongwith both realtemp and coretemp.

Heres what I got after 30mins of testing:

*img580.imageshack.us/img580/4015/55344893.png

The temps however are depicted differently on Coretemp and realtemp. How to explain?

And taking into account the highest temps,is it okay?

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Frnz, have a look here :)

OP
mukherjee

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
As requested, I ran OCCT Gpu tests.

Both OCCT and GPUZ screenies posted.

1. At stock speed
*img153.imageshack.us/img153/3223/2010080322h00gpu1.png

*img375.imageshack.us/img375/4658/see.gif

2. Core@750 Mhz Shaders@1500Mhz Mem@3700Mhz

*img199.imageshack.us/img199/5272/2010080322h37gpu1.png

*img717.imageshack.us/img717/8431/13457144.gif

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ mukherjee - your CPU temps are really nice - push it to 2.6 GHz.

I've seen realtemp and coretemp showing different temps on a e2180 @ 2.6 GHz - so no big deal about it though I believe realtemp is showing the correct temp anyway.

The GPU temps are still on the higher side - it would be better if you manage to keep it under 80C.

tkin

Back to school!!
@ mukherjee - your CPU temps are really nice - push it to 2.6 GHz.

I've seen realtemp and coretemp showing different temps on a e2180 @ 2.6 GHz - so no big deal about it though I believe realtemp is showing the correct temp anyway.

The GPU temps are still on the higher side - it would be better if you manage to keep it under 80C.
It's the cabby that's at fault, my 9800GTX+(factory oc) touches 82c with OCCT with fan speed auto reaching 100%, so the temps look normal, in a well ventilated cabby it should remain around 78c.

I'm also looking for the MSI GTX460 1GB Cyclone edition, has the best temps but the cooler is open type as you can see:
*images.tweaktown.com/content/3/4/3423_07.jpg

So I'm worried about internal temps, i.e how this will effect my HDDs and the CPU, I have one 120mm front fan blowing in the hdds, two 80mm side fans one blowing in the CPU and one in the GPU, one 120mm back fan exhaust, so can anyone shed some light on that?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know in a well ventilated cabby the temps will be lower but I'm a little bit worried about the hot summer season - that's all.

I know how many fans your cabby has as I'm using the same wit some little mods - removed all the expansion guaard plates and fitted there a 80mm fan and cut a hole on the top of the cabby and fitted a 120mm fan :p

but if you don't want to mod you can always get a better cabby like CM Elite 430 - at 2.7k it's a steal IMO.

tkin

Back to school!!
I know in a well ventilated cabby the temps will be lower but I'm a little bit worried about the hot summer season - that's all.

I know how many fans your cabby has as I'm using the same wit some little mods - removed all the expansion guaard plates and fitted there a 80mm fan and cut a hole on the top of the cabby and fitted a 120mm fan :p

but if you don't want to mod you can always get a better cabby like CM Elite 430 - at 2.7k it's a steal IMO.
I'm gonna mod mine too, since I've got 3 Optical drives front ventilation is limited, so gonna punch a hole on top(120mm fan), and gonna punch one hole at side beneath the last fan a bit in front(80mm fan) so it blows into the GPU heatsink directly, no intention of buying a new cabby, better to get a cheap cpu cooler for 3k.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Got the card, Palit GTX460 1GB Sonic @ 14,040/-(incl. tax).

Images here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/45694-post-your-latest-purchase-177.html#post1270277

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ congrats for your purchase :p

BTW, is the palit gtx 460 768MB version available ??

tkin

Back to school!!
Got rid off that blasted GTX460 Sonic, got a HD5850, no need for a nuclear oven in my cabby.

Top Bottom