nVidia drivers in Linux - my day #1 experience

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a Intel i5-2500K + nVidia GTX 1060 in my primary system. And, an AMD A8-3870K + Radeon HD 6950 in my secondary system.

I'm running nVidia 381.22 driver on Arch Linux.

The issues I'm facing:

1) Alt + Print Screen (for only current Window screenshot) saves with weird colours. Print Screen (for whole screen) works fine.

I have attached the screenshots for you guys to see.

2) Experienced a couple of lockups when I was streaming two HD videos in chromium simultaneously.

My experience with Radeon in Linux, thanks to the open-source drivers has been flawless. Sure, the Radeon open-source drivers offer only 85-90% of the Windows performance, but the thing is, they are flawless in Linux.

Attachments

• Alt Print Screen.png
    Alt Print Screen.png
    221.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Print Screen.png
    Print Screen.png
    226.8 KB · Views: 203

Neo

Nvidia sucks on Linux. I'm using the same driver on arch and my fps in CSGO / Dots never go above 50 while I get 70 in Windows. This is around 30% less performance. AMD seems much better in performance too!

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have been using nvidia proprietary drivers on Linux for more than 1 year now and I have not observed any performance drops whatsoever in all the games that I have played. At least not in any Valve games. There is some minor stutters in Serious Sam Fusion sometimes but that is mostly because that is in beta.
I use a Intel i5-2500K + nVidia GTX 1060 in my primary system. And, an AMD A8-3870K + Radeon HD 6950 in my secondary system.

I'm running nVidia 381.22 driver on Arch Linux.

The issues I'm facing:

1) Alt + Print Screen (for only current Window screenshot) saves with weird colours. Print Screen (for whole screen) works fine.

I have attached the screenshots for you guys to see.

2) Experienced a couple of lockups when I was streaming two HD videos in chromium simultaneously.

My experience with Radeon in Linux, thanks to the open-source drivers has been flawless. Sure, the Radeon open-source drivers offer only 85-90% of the Windows performance, but the thing is, they are flawless in Linux.
Which Linux are you using? Perhaps this is a problem with X and not with the driver.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Which DE?
Also have you tried taking a screenshot using scrot?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which DE?
Also have you tried taking a screenshot using scrot?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Using GNOME.

Printscreen works fine. Alt + Printscreen has that colour balance issue.

Will see what scrot does.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Gnome uses gnome-screenshot for screenshots AFAIK. That discoloration is probably a bug in gnome-screenshot.
Also I think scrot only takes fullscreen screenshots.
Another good alternative I know of is ImageMagick. Haven't used this one though.

Edit:
Confirmed bug: Bug #1089069 “When taking a screenshot sometimes the image will ...” : Bugs : gnome-screenshot package : Ubuntu

Last edited:
OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gnome uses gnome-screenshot for screenshots AFAIK. That discoloration is probably a bug in gnome-screenshot.
Also I think scrot only takes fullscreen screenshots.
Another good alternative I know of is ImageMagick. Haven't used this one though.

Edit:
Confirmed bug: Bug #1089069 “When taking a screenshot sometimes the image will ...” : Bugs : gnome-screenshot package : Ubuntu
Dunno man, never faced this problem on HD 6950 + Arch Linux.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Probably gnome-screenshot does not utilize the Nvidia driver correctly? Otherwise, you could try the Nouveau open source drivers.

Top Bottom