No Display on Monitor until I tinker with buttons on Monitor

ssb1551

Technomancer
Hopefully this is the correct sub-forum.

I had my Ryzen rig in bedroom and the Intel rig in hall. Due to some personal reasons (more like pressured by the missus :p) I had to shift the Intel rig to bedroom and Ryzen to hall. I did not change the Monitors - only the entire cabinet. After the shift Intel started up fine and worked good with the Monitor in bedroom. Ryzen rig also started up. I could see the Windows 8 tile logo at the boot screen. But then display went off and I saw a "Cable Not connected" message on the Monitor (Its BenQ GL2460) in hall. I thought the cable is not tightly fixed at the HDMI slot so I shutdown and refixed the HDMI cable properly. Powered it up and again the same issue - saw the Windows 8 boot screen and then no display with "Cable Not connected" message. This time I pressed 1 of the buttons in the Monitor nad it showed 3 options for display type - VGA, DVI and HDMI. I selected HDMI and after 10 seconds or so display came on. I saw my desktop wallpaper and it worked. I thought the issue is fixed and did not try again.

Today morning again the same thing happened. I had to press a button on the Monitor and select HDMI and it worked (although it took 10 secs for the display to come on screen after pressing the HDMI button). So out of curiousity I restarted my system. Again the Windows 8 boot screen appeared and then no display so I pressed the button on the Monitor which gives me the 3 options. This time I selected DVI but there was no display even after waiting for 2-3 mins. Then I selected HDMI and there was display.

Has anybody in the forum ever experienced this sort of issue before? Or any clue on how to fix this? Or should I assume either the Monitor or the GPU is about to conk off?

Sorry for such a long post and thanks for the patience to read it.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Check with spare cable, GPU and monitor.
I mean any friends machine.
Sometimes while connecting with HDMI port it will not detect the GPU. That is why it will show cable not connected or signal is out of reach.

Check with DVI cable.
Check in the bios if the options got changed in display section.
If you are using Asus motherboard it has an option called as "over voltage protection"
This will either shutdown your PC or it might reset the settings.
This is not needed usually but only during the season of thunder storms.
Otherwise every time this option shuts down the PC in case of any fluctuation in the power supply.

Check all these options and then reply.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
I have a spare HDMI cable. I will check with that. Will try to get a DVI cable too. Do You think the GALAX GPU about to go kaput? I shifted the cabinet very carefully - no shock at all.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
@bssunilreddy - I changed the connecting cable from HDMI to a DVI-HDMI(input to Monitor DVI) and its working fine. Guess the earlier cable became faulty. The Monitor in bedroom doesn't have an HDMI port to test it out. I'll use the VGA-VGA cable that came with that Monitor. I have a VGA-HDMI adapter. Since Zotac 1060 AMP doesn't have a VGA slot I gotta use that adapter.

Top Bottom